Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Conphewz (puzzle game) W.I.P Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 03:52
Just wanted to throw this up here to get opinions on it, i know there are one or two bugs in it that i'm working on, but i just want an overall opinion so far.

It's a puzzle game and basically the aim is to explode all of the yellow blocks by passing over them, you can only pass over the blocks once and you only have a short time to move on, some puzzles have 2 different solutions, but not all of them. Should you happen to get to level 9 the demo will just abruptly end.

*i hope this upload was successful*

I can see from your smile, you're not here for the sunset

Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Phenom II x4 Black edition, 4 GB Ram, Radeon HD 4650, 2.5 TB HDD

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 04:09
Oh... p.s.
If the download does work, i'd suggest turning your sound down, i've just realised i've been testing it on a low volume setting, i had no idea how load the sound effects were...

Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Phenom II x4 Black edition, 4 GB Ram, Radeon HD 4650, 2.5 TB HDD
ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Conceptwise this looks very interesting. I'll try it out later today.

One thing that would surely enhance the game's overall feel is the usage of some kind of background other than black, though. Might be just me, but the way it is the screenshots have a somewhat depressing tone..

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 12:15 Edited at: 26th Mar 2013 12:18
It runs OK. I agree with the last post although it depends on what feel you are going for; see point below.

My personal feedback, assuming that you might already have this in mind:

It's one of the those unfinished games worth downloading; it was quite a thrill. I like the look of it although the backdrop is just black; if it is to be a dark theme then a dark gradient fill or texture would be better; otherwise slap in a sky sphere.

I enjoyed the first 3 minutes but got fed up of having to think on a subconscious level because I am busy working with other things on my mind; but casual game players who like to sit there and solve puzzles will like this. I would have preferred larger levels with smaller-puzzles than a small level with a large puzzle. I spent most of the time completely still, thinking about how I was going to complete the level; then it took about 5 seconds to make the move. A larger level with some thrills would probably have kept me playing for longer.

I can see the point of not using deceleration but as a ball it makes the movement look unconvincing; might be better as a character.

Really good work; I hope you continue with it

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice concept, the only thing bugging me is that the ball can get inside a box (if you move fast enough towards a wall while falling)
looks like it could easily be solved by setting the balls y position to a fixed position when the ball detects it is on a ground and not falling.

You would need to scale the boxes detecting the collision with the ground down on the y achsis which would change the difficulty of the game and would avoid cheap looking ball saves.

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 13:00
I totally agree with the backdrop thing, I was planning on slapping skyspheres in there, however i was more interested in getting the basic mechanics of the game worked out before working on the aesthetics.

As for the larger levels, I'm working on some bigger ones, but trying to come up with ideas with how to do it with only 1 maybe 2 solutions is quite hard since a few that i have already had to be majorly tweaked and re-worked to make it so there was only 1 or 2 solutions.

The ball getting stuck inside the blocks when you make a fast move is one of the "bugs" i'm trying to work on at the moment.

i appreciate the input though, and thank you for the encouragement and positive comments

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 03:02
Ok, so now i have a grand total of 13 levels, a few fairly big ones, added in a few... different blocks to destroy, including double pass blocks(you have to go over them twice to blow them up, but stay on them too long and they'll totally explode) and switch blocks(you have to activate a switch in order to make them breakable) and teleport blocks.
I've also added backgrounds and a few other things...

Attachments

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried the new version, seems to have the collision bug still left.
Appart from that, having to press enter every time your ball resets to try again (without a message to do so), is kind of anoying. Your new blocks are well thought of and I like the new looks with a actual background.

Don´t rush including new features, when the engine still has problems (trust me I did that erroer often enough on my game).
Better getting the engine bugless, so you won´t have to eventually change new features you have allready implemented.

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 13:08 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 17:50
aye i understand where you're coming from, the "new" blocks were always going to be a part of it anyway, i had the idea for those from the start, but i'm still fiddling with the collision thing, it is using very basic collision at the moment, i'm having trouble implementing sparky's but it's getting there.
Also the ball reset screen thing, fair point,, i see where you're coming from with that too, i'll find a way around that, thank you for the input..

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:43:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:43:36