Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [x9] Those Without Flesh

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2013 04:45 Edited at: 7th Mar 2014 07:36
Those Without Flesh[/b]
FPSC x9

Developer:
gcraftr

One of the outdoor maps. I'm a much better at coding then level design!

Description:
A sci-fi survival game that centers around defeating a slowly evolving boss enemy (The Machine Overlord) while avoiding
and destroying its robotic minions, fighting off thirst/starvation and dealing with random events.

Ever since I played Friday the 13th and Jaws for the Nintendo Entertainment System I wanted to design a game similar in style. One that has the player facing a single, persistent enemy that threatens the player directly and indirectly. My project takes
inspiration from the games listed above plus ones like Slender, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, Miasmata, System Shock 2 and
X-Com.

Special Thanks To:
-The developers/editors of FPSCreator and DBPro
-The FPSC Community
-Burger
-ASTECH
-The Master D
-Wolf
-TDK_Man
-Creators of Model Packs: 67,65,64,63,61,56,54,52,51,48,46,40,39,
-Ched80: Unofficial FPSC Complete Gunspec & Flakspec Syntax Lists
Unofficial FPSC Complete Script Syntax List
-Nickydude & MadLad Designs: The Official FPSC Community Guide
-All the other game developers for giving me inspiration!
-Everyone interested in my project!

My apologies if I have missed anyone!

Features/Things I would like my game to feature once completed:

-- Non-linear Gameplay
The Overlord's base can vary in size and players can choose which types of maps the base will contain. The player can travel/backtrack between levels however these levels will have to be repeated a ton to accomplish this. But I am hoping dynamic events, random enemy spawns and the strategic layer I want
the game to have can make up for going through the same levels over and over.

-- Off-Level Enemy AI
The Machine Overlord (and certain other enemies) can move from level to level just like the player and will perform tasks while on another map. These actions can be tracking which map the player is on to hunt him/her or building facilities that can assist the machine side.

-- Tactical and Strategic Gameplay
Plenty of choices and tradeoffs to be made both in the heat of combat and in the overall strategy to defeat the Machine Overlord.

-- An Evolving Menace:
Over the course of the game, the Overlord will construct two different types of facilities that will hinder the player. Enhancement stations give instantaneous advantages to the Overlord (invulnerability, invisibility, turning off ambient lighting) until destroyed. Upgrade stations once built begin researching new abilities and minions for the robot boss. Multiple stations can be built and sometimes collaborate on one project, increasing the chances of that project being completed. However if they are destroyed in time, all research done on that project is lost!

-- Item/Weapon System:
There are 16 different items and the player can carry three at one time. As the beginning of a game, the player chooses one
of three sets of randomly picked items to start with. The other items are placed at random throughout the levels. Some items include a hunting/cooking kit (lower your hunger bar when killing wildlife), weapons, armour, combat boots (increase your speed), portable radar (track the Machine Overlord and its movements), etc. The idea behind the weapon system is to have players make tough choices on what items to bring depending on play style and the current situation. Knowing not only what items to take but where to find the items a player will need in the future will be key to survival.

-- Other Features

The Overlord can switch between different forms with the idea being that each one may change the players current strategy and overall goals.

Cylinder Form:
Powerful in ranged combat and utilizes many offensive weapons. Has decent player tracking ability and will sometimes seek out the player for a fight. Favours building upgrade over enhancement stations.

Quadruped Form:
The Overlord will take this form when it wants to take the fight to the player. Very strong, fast and can track the player all throughout the base. Players might want to abandon their current objectives for the time being and keep their distance. Carry the
combats boots in case of an encounter. Positives are this form will not build stations of any kind and rarely conducts ranged
attacks.

Floating Form:
Not as powerful as the other forms but can fly. Elusive and tries to stay away from the map the player is currently in. If engaged in combat, this form will use abilities to trick a player in addition to dealing straight damage. Has the ability to teleport to any map and tends to favour building enhancement rather then upgrade stations. This combination of teleporting and station building means this form can easily spread out stations all over the base.

Stationary Form:
This form will stay in one place and can build research and enhancement stations quickly. This is the only form that can build
Squad bots (robots that travel between maps and become stronger in groups). If a player's security level is above zero, these squads will ambush players entering a level, creating blockades.

Arachnid Form:
The Overlord must research this form. Has a good mix of offensive an defensive weaponry and creates webs that cover an entire map. This webbing hides anything in it from radar and motion scanners including research stations. These webs can be destroyed (by killing a spider bot inside the level) however the Overlord will be aware of a player inside one of these maps.

*Unfortunately my progress has backtracked a bit due to turning my FPI scripts into dark basic source code*

Things Completed:
*Hunger, Thirst, Freezing and Detection mechanics
*The Machine Overlord shifts forms when in a different level and will build units, upgrades and enhancement stations
*Upgrade stations will research any projects available
*Enhancement stations will pick an ability once built.
*The size and shape of the base is now randomized instead of always square.
*Overlord weapon bank swapping
*Flak weapon effects
*Player can backtrack through maps
*Spawning system updated

In Progress:
*Persistent enemies will move about the base, across levels, will chase the player across levels and set up blockades.
*Off-level AI for the Overlord, minions and wildlife is complete and as far as my testing goes, bug and exploit free

Still need to be done:
*Keep hoping that the bigger scripts don't slow down the frame rate too much!
*Weapons Swapping and Radar FPI scripts need to be ported to source code
*Effects of player items and the Overlord's upgrades
*Tactical AI for enemies in the same level as the player
*Level Design
*Meshes and animations for weapons and enemies
*Music
*HUDs
*Menu Screens

Things removed or no longer needed:
*423 global variables!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2013 06:52 Edited at: 12th Apr 2013 08:33
Hopefully the scripts don't slow down my game too much as I have a lot going on script wise with the off level AI. However I can remove some features while still retaining the core gameplay if the engine does gets bogged down.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting title if anything. I see you are new and are on post probation - so nothing is showing right now. However, by the name, I'm expecting something pretty gore-filled.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@ASTECH

I actually don't have a set theme yet but I do know that it will have some gore and hopefully some cool villains tasked with making gore. The game will take place on some space outpost on an ice planet. The question is will it be a rusty, dark, abandoned, worn down outpost or will it have a sleek, clean, just came out of the factory yesterday look? I'll probably go with the latter. The blood splatters will stand out more!

Thanks everyone for your interest and good luck with your own projects!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 03:16 Edited at: 25th Apr 2013 22:25
I was really worried that my scripts would slow down my game too much but I just realized how much my debug script drops the frames per second. Deleted my debugging trigger entity and now my project runs much smoother! I also had to remove one of my two wolf packs (that you can hunt for food, or be hunted by!) so I could free up some global variables for other features.

Working on the scanning stations right now. There are three scanning stations placed across the base and without them, your blind to what goes on in the other maps.

For a cost of energy they perform functions such as telling you where upgrade stations are and their research progress, What form the Machine Overlord has taken and for how long approximately, etc. Using a station gets the attention of the Overlord unless you pay extra energy to bypass the security system.

There is also a portable scanner you can find, however it constantly drains your energy level while being carried around.
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm really liking your ideas here, I can't wait to see how you work all of these elements into the game. This looks quite promising!

I would like to ask though, how many lines of script do you estimate you have in off-level trigger zones? Also, what is your average frame rate?

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Master D

Thanks for the kind words! I hope the end result of all my work is something that is challenging and has great replay value. I do plan to sell this game and perhaps any custom made assets on the game creator store!

I have a little over 2050 lines of code for all off level activity and the average fps is 41 (however this is on my testing map which is quite small).
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be awesome, it's always good to have people contributing to the community!

That's a decent frame rate, not perfect, but a smooth 60 fps is practically impossible to achieve I ask because I have a level that I'm working on for my survival game mode and it lags when I only have a couple hundred lines in off level code. Perhaps it's the entity logic that's getting me...

In any case, I'll be watching this thread rather closely.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Master D

I had a similar issue with lag and was getting around 29 fps. Then I deleted all entities containing ':always:', 'debugtext=' and 'debugvar=' and my frame rate went up by about 12. Maybe try removing those commands from your scripts if you have any. Hope that helps!
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll try that, hopefully it fixes the problem. Keep up the good work, man.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Master D: Thanks and I'm looking forward to when your game is released!

First of all thanks to the community. I haven't been here long but everyone here is friendly and eager to help each other out!

Sorry everyone about not having really anything in the way of screenshots! Mostly I have been working on scripting. I have the basic layout of my maps finished and that is about it. Empty rooms with no lighting and nothing pizzazzish in them.

I have a neat idea for a randomized ability system but it is one that would put me over my global variable limit. I also have a lot of other things that are random in the game and it might be randomizing overkill. I did mod the engine to increase the variable limit but I am not sure if my modifications are bug free yet!
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 02:32
I very much like the concept and sound of this, its very interesting. As a player I wouldn't be too worried about random events, although they really can add to the experience of the game. If the game is already dynamic enough as it is, it may not be a big deal to exclude these random events

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@Burger: I appreciate the kind words! As much as I like the ability system I had planned, for now I will exclude it and work on the core game. I will add it back in if I make a sequel though!

Moved my project from the laptop (that really isn't built for gaming at all) to my 5 year old desktop and am seeing a much better frame rate.

The coding for the stationary/portable scanners is complete. It takes three trigger zones full of code to function! One idea implemented that I like: The scanner will give the player x and y coordinates of robot squads and upgrade stations no matter which map they are on, but can't detect the coordinates of the wolf pack or the Overlord if they are further than three maps away. The scanner also doesn't tell the two apart.

Started work on the tactical AI for the machines. So far so good. Also coded a teleporter to move the player and enemies to higher or lower levels!
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2013 12:38
Some complex concepts and working going on here, its great. Only thing is, the game might not play as well if things are too complex. I remember reading somewhere about simple input leads to complex output, while complex input leads to simple output. Which sums up to say if there are few but important dynamics, much can be achieved which makes for good game play. The example used was minecraft, being very simple (placing blocks) and yielding hugely dynamic results, opposed to some real time strategy game (ordering people, multiple functions, numerous controls) which the player ends up favouring simplified tactics because the options are too great.

What I'm saying is, don't swarm you're player with choices, because they might not necessarily know what to do (and player's always want to do best). If you give you're players a few simple but key variables (like your Hunger & Thirst), focused items of interest (and vital that they're balanced) and simple but defining game play mechanics, you have the potential to create something awesome.

It already sounds as though you're doing this, but I see no harm in what I say. Perhaps something helpful to say would be is to question what you're actually making and putting into the game

"Do I really need this?"
"Does the player know what to do with this?"
"Is the player aware of this?"
"Is this play style balanced, in comparison to another?"
"Is this useful, or truly fun to the player?"

It's quite possible you've already thought of these. However, somebody else saying it can make a difference (It has for me in the past). Because you have some more advanced mechanics at work here there is a lot more to be balanced, tweaked and refined. Which is why I thought I'd say the above ^

I hope what I've said has been of some help.

Burger

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@Burger: Thanks for the advice I am always open to feedback! Your post was very helpful and well written, especially the part about the player simplifying their tactics when faced with so many choices. Players can also use complex rule sets to exploit the AI. That is something my game must avoid as the game revolves around defeating a boss enemy. Even something as small as the Machine Overlord getting stuck in the level geometry will ruin the game if it can create a tactic for players though I have some ideas scripting wise to prevent such exploits.

My game will need some balance testing and good in game documentation. This is something I plan to focus on heavily!
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2013 07:04
Quote: "Players can also use complex rule sets to exploit the AI. That is something my game must avoid as the game revolves around defeating a boss enemy. Even something as small as the Machine Overlord getting stuck in the level geometry will ruin the game if it can create a tactic for players though I have some ideas scripting wise to prevent such exploits. "

Quote: "My game will need some balance testing and good in game documentation. This is something I plan to focus on heavily!"

Sounds like you have the right idea, keep it up

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2013 19:38 Edited at: 14th May 2013 22:29
@Burger
Thanks again and best of luck with An Instinctive Fear! The levels look incredible, the map plotting is cool and I can't wait to try out Survival Mode!

Progress Update
After much fighting with my scripts after finding a bug with teleporting entities to higher/lower levels, I finally got the transporters to work! (the bug was that enemies would walk around in the air and not just the ground after being teleported). Enemies can now try and find the closest teleporter if you happen to be on an upper/lower level.

Now that the teleporters work (hopefully with no more bugs), I can get back to designing my maps and from there I can post some more screenshots!
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 06:50
Quote: "@Burger: Thanks again and best of luck with An Instinctive Fear! The levels look incredible, the map plotting is cool and I can't wait to try out Survival Mode!"

Well that's great to hear, I mean it really is. I'll be looking forward to those screenshots.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 19:30 Edited at: 14th May 2013 18:32
Progress Update
Unfortunately I have to rewrite some of the code for my NPCs. I added some code to the teleporter script and now enemies no longer use them. Deleted the code but the AI still doesn't use them. Strange but I think I know the problem and can fix it.

Another thing I would like to add: AI that can lead their shots when using non hitscan weapons. Looking into the FPSC source code right now!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2013 23:12 Edited at: 13th May 2013 02:37
Progress Update
Been reading through the FPSC source code and gained some knowledge of the engine's inner workings! Coded a new command: AILEADINGTARGET which makes the AI lead their target a bit before firing weapons like rocket launchers. It still needs to be tweaked in terms of how much of an effect target distance and speed have.

Now I just need to figure out how to speed up missiles

Post Edit
Got missiles to move much faster. Now rocket launching enemies will be tougher to deal with!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2013 07:21 Edited at: 16th May 2013 05:57
Progress Update
Been working on level design and in the process decided to change/put some of my current maps on the back burner. I felt they would end up using too much memory plus the design changes should make it easier for the AI to move around the level and harder for the player to avoid enemies by darting past them.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2013 21:09 Edited at: 19th May 2013 21:10
Progress Update
Hope you all liked the screenshots! (though they are a little dark and bare at the moment)

Added some more actions and conditions to the FPSC source that deals with teleporting entities around the map. Entities such as enemies seem to be moved without any bugs so far and I can revise my current teleporter scripts to use the new commands.

As I have gotten better with editing the source code, I have been thinking of taking my game timer and off level AI scripts and porting them into the source code itself. I am happy with how well the game runs as is but I'm hoping this can increase efficiency.

Although enemies are coded right now to move into a map the player is in (and chase a player from one map into another), I decided not to code the opposite. Enemies won't leave a map the player is on. The idea being that the players can find themselves trapped in a map and may have to fight or sneak their way out.
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2013 08:58
I commented on the screenshots before but the Internet mustn't have worked, whatever. I was going to say about the first one that its too dark, I cannot really tell what is going on. I see you added a second picture, and at the moment its kind of plain.

Quote: "Hope you all liked the screenshots! (though they are a little dark and bare at the moment)"

Although you seem to realise this.

Sounds like you're having good results with the source code, that stuffs beyond me (at the moment). What you put in you get out, I suppose.

Keep it up, this looks promising.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2013 22:51 Edited at: 21st May 2013 22:52
@Burger
Thanks again for the comments! I still have a long way to go on the visuals and presentation and unfortunately it may be a while before I really start working on those areas. Editing the source code has opened up some opportunities to improve features in my game and this has gotten me a bit sidetracked!

Progress Update
Converting all my AI scripts to the FPSC source!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 06:31 Edited at: 16th Jun 2013 07:20
Progress Update
Had some issues with my computer that slowed me down a bit!

Enemies can now use multiple weapons and I have made a few changes and additions to the flak code: Flak shotguns, homing missiles, missiles that fire missiles, shrapnel bombs and more!

Instead of carrying ammo or using bulky energy sources, the machines weaponry consists of small portals that go to/from an unknown place (an AI outpost or another dimension altogether). A portal is aimed at a human target and the requested ammunition is fired through it. These weapons allow machine soldiers to utilize all sorts of attacks and prevents any humans from using the weapons themselves.

Adding a new form for the Machine Boss: A spider form that can create sensor blocking webbing throughout the base.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 21:06 Edited at: 18th Jun 2013 21:09
Progress Update

I took some screenshots while testing out my weapons. The map is for testing purposes and I will have my own gun models and enemy designs in the finished product (though I like the gun models I have already)!

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 10:42
Looks like some interesting features.

Quote: " I will have my own gun models and enemy designs in the finished product"

Good to see your customisation goes beyond scripting and the FPSC source. I'll be looking forward to seeing custom guns!

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 11:40 Edited at: 13th Dec 2013 19:41
HIDDEN MOVEMENT: The influences of X-Com in Those Without Flesh

I first played X-Com on the original PSX. I remember being at the local Jumbo Video and being pretty disappointed at the game selection that night. All the newer titles were already rented out and I had already played, or wasn't interested in what was left. I took a look at a game called X-Com UFO Defense, one that I had never heard of before. Judging by the screenshots on the case I figured it was gonna be a top down shooter like Total Carnage. I didn't even read what the text said. I just picked it up because there was nothing else available and expected it to be a lackluster purchase. But later that night. When I shot down and captured my first UFO (I still remember each turn of that entire mission! Silly Sectoid thought he was so smart hiding in the cornfield!) I was glad I didn't leave the video store with anything else. X-Com got me hooked on strategy gaming and to this day is still my favorite game of all time

One aspect I loved was the vulnerability of the player during the first few hours of play. With only one base and limited supplies one cannot respond to every threat and the invaders can take some cheap shots on earth before a player can launch a counter attack. The game is a constant battle against the unknown, an unknown that grows in strength and tries to stay one step ahead.

I'm trying to emulate this in my own game with the Overlord being the unknown that becomes more powerful the longer the game goes on. A player picks their starting gear from three randomized item sets and starts off somewhere in the base. Right from the beginning a player has to get their bearings by finding weapons, sources of food and other needed items (though a player who starts out with good weapons may want to find and fight the Overlord right away). While this is going on, the Overlord is accomplishing its own tasks. It may take a while before a player has the firepower needed to tackle one of the enemy research stations. By then some research may already be completed, changing the Overlord's abilities. Or perhaps some powerful enhancement stations have been built instead. Maybe the Overlord changed form and it hunting the player right from the start. Many things can happen at all points of the game and I am hoping each game will play out very different from the last.

I am hoping to add more to this post later when I have the time!!!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 03:09
Quote: "I first played X-Com on the original PSX. I remember being at the local Jumbo Video and being pretty disappointed at the game selection that night. All the 'fancy graphics heavy' titles were already rented out and I had already played, or wasn't interested in what was left. I took a look at a game called X-Com UFO Defense, one that I had never heard of before. Judging by the screenshots on the case I figured it was gonna be a top down shooter like Total Carnage. I didn't even read what the text said. I just picked it up because there was nothing else available and expected it to be a lackluster purchase. But later that night. When I shot down and captured my first UFO (I still remember each turn of that entire mission! Silly Sectoid thought he was so smart hiding in the cornfield!) I was glad I didn't leave the video store with anything else. X-Com got me hooked on strategy gaming and to this day is still my favorite game of all time "

It always cool to hear how people got into gaming and their favorite genre

This is also the first time I see someone work with the flak system to create laserguns. (at least I assume thats how you did it )

I keep an eye on this and am eager to see what the game will end up playing like.

By the way, I noticed that your maps are a little dark with spotty colorful lights here and there. I wrote a tutorial some millenia ago that might be useful to you. LINK

all the best

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 04:24 Edited at: 21st Jun 2013 04:45
@Burger
Quote: "Good to see your customisation goes beyond scripting and the FPSC source. I'll be looking forward to seeing custom guns!"

Thanks! Custom content like models and sound effects will be the final things I work on but they will be there! Have the designs all in my head!

@Wolf
Quote: "It always cool to hear how people got into gaming and their favorite genre"
Indeed! Maybe a forum thread on the topic should be started!

Quote: "This is also the first time I see someone work with the flak system to create laserguns. (at least I assume thats how you did it )"
I made quite a few modifications to the flak system and added a few new attributes! My game will feature automatic flak based weapons like the plasma guns shown above. These guns do much more damage than non flak weapons but are harder to score hits with!

Quote: "By the way, I noticed that your maps are a little dark with spotty colorful lights here and there. I wrote a tutorial some millenia ago that might be useful to you."

Thank you for the tutorial Wolf! It will come in handy! I will focus more level design once I finish the bulk of the FPSC source coding!

I appreciate the feedback guys! Your own games are looking great and I look forward to playing them someday!

Progress Update
It is decision time. I have pondered many different game mechanics that have yet to be coded (and some are coded but now that I am modding the source, it opens up possibilities that I didn't have before and some code may be trashed to make way for other ideas). Now choices about those mechanics need to be made and finalized so I can continue on with coding and scripting.

I may change the item limit from three to four. A player carrying four items will get hungry and thirsty faster and stamina will increase more slowly.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 21:08 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 20:40
Progress Update
It took longer then it should have but I took my off map AI scripts and ported them to the FPSC source code. Coded a FPI command that acts as a game timer and controls all enemies while they are off the current map. Before I had about 2000 lines of FPI script to perform those tasks. Now it takes about.. one! Too bad I had to scrap my old FPI scripts as they took a while to write and ran pretty well for the amount of code there was but I think the benefits are worth it. Now I should hopefully be finished making major changes to the source code and can concentrate on other areas

Post Edit
Spoke too soon! I still need to write dark basic code for a long range radar display.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Progress Update:
Wow it has been almost a month since my last post. It sure doesn't feel like it as I've only made a small amount of progress. I had some trouble with modding the source due to making silly coding errors!

I added the basic framework to make my game more customizable (the idea being that the player can turn on/off enemies, weapons, etc before each game).

Taking some focus off of the coding and putting it into forming the identity of Those Without Flesh in terms of setting and visuals.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 10:01
Looks really cool!, like one of those old school fast paced shooters like UT.

I am the one who knocks...
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 10:28 Edited at: 13th Dec 2013 19:14
Thanks for unlocking my thread and for the comments Van B! Actually I took a break from my project to finish a modmod for Unreal Tournament 99 (GauntletPlus). I would like my game to have the same fast paced gameplay (combat wise) as UT is one of if not my favorite FPS of all time!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 19:41 Edited at: 13th Dec 2013 19:45
Hey everyone! Haven't been around for a while but my project hasn't been cancelled. There were some other coding projects that I wanted to work on and complete (Mods for Unreal Tournament, Civ IV, Space Empires IV) and I needed a bit of a break from working on the FPSC source code. I was also a little overwhelmed thinking about creating all of my custom models and other visuals (not my strongest point). However I do own quite a few model packs (great job on them all by the way!) so I can make use of those. I also found out about this program while browsing on Steam that could help: http://www.curvy3d.com/. Edited my post about X-Com a bit so it didn't seem like I was negative on games with good graphics (just didn't like how the wording came across). Anyways, time to get back to work!
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 05:47 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 06:12
Hello!
This thread is getting a good number of views! Thanks for your interest everyone!

Progress Update:
Was gonna work on game visuals but I thought I'd get most of the coding out of the way first. Porting my coding additions to a newer version of FPSC. Also reworking my code for that handles the offline AI entities (much more efficient and cleaner). Now a lot of things are stored in text files (game settings, enemies and their attributes, etc). This will make it faster and easier for me to test different settings as well as give players a chance to customize their game.

A small sample of the values that can be changed:

Different presets for players that don't want to fiddle with settings are also in the works.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 07:36 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 07:39
Progress Update:
Still coding away! Almost all of the code I have written has been ported over to a newer version of FPSC and features have been refined and expanded upon.

More settings that can be changed and added to, this time for the various upgrades the AI can pursue:

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 04:15 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 09:47
Progress Update:

The base where the game takes place now has a randomized layout of maps. Certain maps may or may not appear in a game and I would like for each to present a different challenge (Ex: A player would like to destroy a research station before it completes an upgrade allowing the Overlord to use the Titan Missile, however the station is in a map filled with poison and there the player's filter level (and eventually health) will drain quickly).

Took my old FPI scripts that controlled the spawning of entities and ported them to the spawning function in the FPSC source code. Did some testing and watched as enemies followed me as I exited and entered my testing maps. A good chuck of the game coding is complete and now I am working with Photoshop, 3DCrafter and Curvy3D so I can have something to show.

Some of my old FPI scripts that are now part of the FPSC source.

Implementing a neat idea on how the game's winning and losing mechanics will go. It is customizable so if a player wants death to have consequences that can be done. Run and gun meat grinder game play is supported as well, or a hybrid of both styles.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
You know, I'm actually surprised no one has commented on this for a long spell. I was anxious to see new screenshots myself so I'm glad you are going to get some new material ready for show. I personally salute you for holding onto this game idea for so long; may it work out for you in the end!

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 10:26 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 10:29
@ASTECH
Thanks and great job on Diablo Château! Those screenshots look fantastic and I can only hope that my game has a fraction of the detail. Looking forward to seeing your game finished!

Progress Update:
Changed where the game is taking place. Before the setting was a colony on an ice planet. Then I decided on a fire planet. Now I changed my mind again and I haven't figured out all the details yet but I will say that the outpost will be inside something that is alive.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 09:15 Edited at: 14th Apr 2014 09:20
Progress Update:

Hey everyone!

Wow a lot of time has passed since my last post. Been pretty busy with my job and cleaning up after this brutal winter. Hope everyone else got through it okay!

The plan was to post some screenshots/video of the changes I had made to the flak code a while back but while setting up my weapon testing map I encountered some problems and decided that more coding was needed. After that I added some more features to projectile based weapons.

The Tribomb is an Overlord weapon that travels slowly but gains a limited ability to home in on its target before detonating. Once this occurs, multiple black shards burst from the center doing moderate damage including poisoning the player.

Here are some more new features for flak/projectile weapons in my game:

- Newly spawned flak have a new check for collision with entities, the player and solid objects. (Now flak can be fired at walls point blank and will bounce off of them.)

- Projectiles now do a static collision check once it gets to a wall so they don't explode when they way out from them. (This for some reason took me a really long time to code and test)

- Removed the old stick flak code. Any flak can be set to be stick flak in flakspec.txt and assigned to another projectile. (So stick flak can use all the new abilities I have coded). Projectiles can stick to the wall themselves and they can leave stick flak as they bounce around the map.

- Quite a few new parameters in flakspec.txt that can be edited to allow projectiles to get stronger/faster over time, roll along the floor, not destroy other flak when exploding, proximity detonating, etc.

- A few other features and improvements to the projectile system.

There should be quite a variety of abilities for my weapons now. The question now is whether it will all fit into my game. I have ideas on what can be cut out if memory becomes an issue. Anyways time to get back to those screenshots!

Take care everyone and best of luck with your own projects!
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 03:50 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 03:51
Great to see a non-linear game finally!!! And randomness too, so it's new each time it's played. I never understood why game designers have always been so 1 dimensional.

Memory can be greatly conserved by converting all your textures to compressed .dds files (DXT5 or if no alpha DXT1). Many of the model packs are not optimized in that way. So there is lots of room for memory conservation if you're not already doing it.
gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Tall Man
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the comments and also the tips on saving memory as they will come in handy. I am gonna need all the memory I can get.

Progress Update:
Just a random mix of thoughts here:
- Added an attribute to projectiles so they can drill though walls and then detonate after a certain amount of time. Haven't done much work on my project other then that.

- People are still showing an interest in my game, checking out this thread and I thank you all very much for that (especially since I have told a lot but haven't shown all that much.)

- It has been pretty disheartening reading the "End of an Era and a new one begins" thread on the FPSC Classic Product Chat and I haven't been around as much as I used to or would like to.

- On a positive note: It is great that a FPSC game has been released on Steam. Congrats to Homegrown Games!

- Another positive: Have a new project in the planning stage. A version of Those Without Flesh on much different platform. Most of the code I have written can be reused for this and I can work on both versions at the same time.

Thanks and take care everybody!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:58:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:58:28