Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / I need some 2D game-making advice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 19:38
Hello! I am looking for any tips, tricks and programs to make 2D platformers for beginners. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

- Brody L
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 12:29
Well it depends really on how complicated your platform game idea is.

For example, there's a stark difference between a block based platformer like Super Mario Bros, and a sprite based platformer like Sonic. If your map can be set out on a grid, and only has square blocks, or tiles rather - then it's really very straightforward. Collision tends to be the deciding factor - collision detection in Sonic would be a lot more difficult than with Mario.

Even though on the surface, Sonic and Mario may appear quite similar, really the only real similarity is that they both scroll to the right and involve a running and jumping character.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other - both styles have their pro's and con's - and you shouldn't change your idea to suit the easier option, because most of the problems can be avoided with good planning. So, I would suggest giving us some info about your game, is it gonna be constructed from with a strict grid map of tiles - or sprite placement?, or both!?

If it's grid based, I'd suggest looking into level design first, get a good test level put together then get a character running and jumping around the level.

If it's sprite based, then it might be worth jumping right to character collision - like get some level sprites and position them randomly, then use that as a base for testing character movement, jumping collision. Sprite based collision needs a little more thought, more planning, because you might find yourself changing techniques a lot.

So anyway, tell us more about what sort of platformer it is, what language are you writing it in, what art packages do you have for pixel art etc etc - then our advice can be a lot more specific and useful.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:24:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:24:02