Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / SpriteFX - Spritesheet / animation tool for 2D games [WIP]

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 12:59 Edited at: 17th Apr 2013 23:37
Hi guys,

It occurred to me that this might be a useful place to show off my sprite tool. For those of you who have seen Spriter and Spine, this is my own version.

Original post (Please check here for updates!)

Download the Demo

It is not complete and the current release only produces spritesheets. I am using the animation data it produces in a game for TGC at the moment so I might be in a position to post a full working version soon.

Working:
Limb rotation / transformation
Parent / Child Hierarchy for moving / rotating groups
Spritesheet creation

Not working yet:
Limb scaling
Animation export in two modes (well it is really, pretty much complete)
Particle systems
Physics for particles/limbs etc

You can easily get rid of the watermark on spritesheets by the way, just change the watermark image into a clear image

Edit: There are two example characters you can load. Click File->Open Character and type either "zombie" or "spider". Enjoy!

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 15:18
Nice - I haven't got a project that warrants this sort of animation, but if I do, this'll be waiting on the back burner. This looks like an ideal tool for making media for platform games and strategy games like Plant's V Zombies - not just because our showing a zomb there, but more because it allows really smooth animations, which people tend to expect with these sorts of games. Someone might be able to draw 8 or 12 frames and keep it smooth and consistant - but more than that is a real stretch - and that's where this program comes in... takes the work needed to draw a couple of animation frames, and extends that over however many frames you like - it's like an exponential increase in awesomeness, and provides results that most(well, all) people just wouldn't be able to recreate manually... not without the impending mental breakdown that would destroy any artist who had to attempt that amount of manual tweening.

Thing is, right now I think that any and all 2D media tools will be appreciated - someone somewhere will have a use for whatever people can release, be it tools like this or bits of sprite to use with these programs - gibs, legs, heads etc etc. It's kinda like how it was back when DBPro was just getting traction.

It's kinda nice how AppGameKit is making us go back to older techniques as well, sprites, sprite animation etc... I never thought I'd say it but DBPro's bone based animation spoils us - it's fun to have to think of new ways to make 2D media. I even made my own sprite and animation editor, really old school, everything has a keyboard shortcut. No zooming, just a fixed sprite size, it's for sprites at such a small resolution, that every pixel is a prisoner - you know when it's more like a jigsaw than a sprite, because there's only 1 or 2 places that each pixel could go. So it's kinda at opposite poles to what your doing, but with the same sort of spirit and disdain for trying to do this stuff in established and traditional art packages.
It's a refreshing break to work with retro 2D media again for a change - these days it isn't dated, it's stylized - there's a difference (apparantly, somehow, I think).

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 15:29
Thanks VanB! Yes, it's getting back to the roots of gaming that I love about AGK. I am using this system to create physics ragdolls when my player dies too but the real fun will start when I add physics and particles. We'll be able to create explosions, smoke, ragdoll deaths in spritesheets etc.

I just wish I had more time to work on it!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 23:36 Edited at: 17th Apr 2013 23:37
Attached are some examples of spritesheets created using SpriteFX. I should say I don't own the rights to the Garfield brand and do not condone the use of them without the permission of Paws Inc. These are merely a demonstration of what my software can produce.

I will say that I am not much of an artist so I would love to see what you guys can come up with.

Here is one of them:

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:06:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:06:38