Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbe Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 23:48
Hi as you may have guessed Im new here, name's Sam.
I was just wondering how do you make 3D chacters for your game? I am downloading 3D wings right now, but is that enough, do I need any other progs?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 00:52
Character design and animation is the most difficult part of game creation in my opinion. I've seen good things down with 3D wings so that is a good place to start. Take your time, research, and practice. It is a skill that requires development and it won't happen over-night.
--
TAZ
sybixsus
Years of Service
User Offline
Wings is a perfectly good 3d modeller, though it's interface is quirky to say the least. You'll probably either love it or loathe it. Milkshape is also very popular, and cheap. You could also try Anim8or.

But Wings doesn't handle texturing, UV mapping or animation, all of which will be necessary if you're going to make some nice characters. Over the years, playing with a lot of lower end tools, I've found that a good and popular combination without spending too much money would be something like this :

Modeller : Wings/Milkshape ( free/cheap )

UV Mapper : Ultimate Unwrap 3d ( cheap )

Animation : Character FX ( cheap )

Texturing : PaintShop Pro / Gimp ( moderate / free )

I personally don't have to worry as I have 3dsMax and Photoshop from my days as a freelancer, but I do own Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap, and I can recommend them highly. They're great tools at a very low price.
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 15:16
Thank you very much guys.
Just one more question, I have one half of what I need (Wings and PSP) but what is a UV Mapper and Animation? Thank you agian you've very helpful.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 01:13 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2003 01:13
Animation makes your characters move, it animates them, so he looks lik ehe's walking ect. But i dont really have a seperate animation thing, mine came wit my modeler, but my modeler isnt very good...
ya, i heard good things bout character FX, try searching google?

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?

HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 02:47
Well, Wings 3D did not work on my computer, neither did Milkshape so I downloaded the demo of 3D canvas pro but it does not export X files. Does any one know any other free modellers and animators (demo, I don't wanna put out money for 3D modelling yet)?
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 00:20
Nevermind I just read another post and got a prog. for converting .3ds to .X files thanks though

-Sam
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 04:04 Edited at: 24th Nov 2003 04:05
Whats wrong with Milkshape? What error did it give you?

This is what I use

DBP for Programming

Milkshape for Models (20 bucks)

Lithunwrap for UV Mapping (FREE) http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

UV Mapping is the process of assigning UV points to a model, then exporting them as an image which you then paint the texture of the model on.

I then use Paintshop Pro (80 bucks, VERY cheap for the great features of this product - at Staples it comes with a 30 Dollar Mail in Rebate if you have some other products... it gives you a list) For Texturing

You can check out some of the stuff I have made at

The Eternal Destiny (My Teams Game) Screenshots Page

I did all the textures on the buildings, and on the one monster I modelled everything you see there EXCEPT the Deen Model. Did all those models in Milkshape

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 15:27
Ok, I'll try MilkShape again. Do you know if it is for sale anywhere in Canada? If its only $20 its worth getting. And thanks for that link to the free UV mapper. Oh and those pics look great.

-Sam
Hypervoxels
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 21:21
Hi S_A_M,
I would seriously rethink your decision to buy Milkshape. For $20 your getting the same thing that Wings3D has. I'm lucky enough to have a copy of 3DS Max and Cinema 4D, but I found Blender http://www.blenderfoundation.com a great program for modling. As for 3D packages I am blessed with a copy of Photoemelements, but if you look up Project Dogwaffle, it is a great painting program. If you have some where selling 3D world or anything like that look for Cineam 4D CE,as it is a great package, and though Modelling is not it's strong point, it has uv mapping and a .X export.
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 23:47
so that blender thing is a free modeling program?

-Sam
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 02:42
your link should update your link its http://www.blender3d.com now.

-Sam
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 05:20
Milkshape Go with milkshape

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 23:43
Milk shpae does not work for my comp. I am going to get it fixed but blender is free which makes a big difference for me >

-Sam
Jaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 00:40
Um ... Someone said 3DCanvas doesn't export .X files. It has an export function and does just that.

-=/Jaze/=-
HyTech Designs Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 23:22 Edited at: 26th Nov 2003 23:23
the demo does not export .x files

-Sam
Black Hydra II
Years of Service
User Offline
3D studio demo is only if your going to buy it. Personally it is bad. I think programs like Milkshape are better and cheaper. If you don't need animations then Anim8or is probably the best free product

"Damn had to remake account!" direct quotation from previous account.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 00:22
hey! i use anim8or, its good, but now i'm starting to get into Wings3D

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 17:12
btw another good 3d modeler is gmax, it's free and with the tempest gamepack(also free) you can do models and maps:
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/
you can also download other import&export tools
give it a try and it doesn't matter if you don't like it because it's FREE

AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:39:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:39:45