Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Step by Step Instructions to Animate in FPSC?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 07:42 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2013 07:45
Hey all I've been trying to receive help for how to animate in 3d Studio Max for FPSC (x-files) for the quite possibly 10 years... with not much help.

Are there any members that can help me with this? I even took a course on 3d Studio Max but honestly... it doesnt help with FPSC. I cant make an animation no problem now but it will not work once it becomes an X file.

Here's an example of an animation i did in 3d studio max:
http://youtu.be/v-n4RxX0rFs

I use Panda exporter for X files but animated 3d models are not turning out right after export. static ones come out great.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 08:27
Hello,
I have been doing animations in 3dMax for FPSC for over 3 years now and have had great success.

Have you seen this thread?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=186489&b=24

What version of 3d max are you using?

Using biped or bones is fine, But using skin instead of Physique is much better results. I manually rotate the bones to get the animations I need instead of using controls or wires. Using rotation, Position and scale that make an actual keyframe are the only things that work reliably.

Having the models feet at the 0,0,0 origin is best for FPSC.
When you get your model scaled, use reset xform on the mesh and then collapse the stack or convert to editable poly instead of mesh. Test in FPSC for proper scale then rig your model. Test in FPSC again to be sure all the parts stayed where they should be. Then animate your model. Turn off dummys and bones in the display section, then Export using Pandasoft exporter, Set it up like in this thread: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2001&page=CharacterStudio.

Make sure your FPE file lists out the animations that your modeled. I use a standard FPE character file and modify it with my xfile name, textures, and animations.

Could you post your Xfile and textures and FPE file and script that you are using for your model and I will check out what it is doing.

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2013 11:49 Edited at: 24th Apr 2013 11:59
I'm using 3D Studio Max 2012

I followed the link:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2001&page=CharacterStudio.

that you sent me and I must admit its pointing me in the right direction for sure. After changing all my export options to what was shown in the link above, the models is not as wraped and is animating at the correct time in FPSC. IT still is warped a bit however but that may be due to the feet not set at 0,0,0 origin.

I'll keep poking around to see if I get better results with some of the things you have mentioned. It could be how i put the model and biped together thats messing everything up.

If anything, I'll post my x file and FPE file. (and fpi,texture)

Thanks for your help I'm already seeing progress almost there

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2013 15:22
Glad to hear that. It will all come together for you.

Also remember that only 4 bones can be attached to any one vertice.

The weighting of the character will be the most important part after you get the size and the bone structure finished.

I will look at the download files and check them out.

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2013 08:47
Whenever I rig models now with bones it works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Still having issues with the biped but thats because some parts of the biped are showing through the model i think.

You've helped me out a lot!

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2013 16:42 Edited at: 25th Apr 2013 16:57
You are welcome. Glad you are making progress.

But you should be able to use biped with no issues. Place you character mesh so the feet are at 0,0,0.

Scale it to the right size you need.

Place the biped in the same view that your model is facing you.

Turn on figure mode, then you will have to center the biped your self as 3D Max want to place it offset a bit to the right for some reason.

Move the whole biped by clicking on the COM object or the bone called Biped.

Set the pelvis so that the top of the pelvis is at the waste line of your character. When you scale or rotate the biped bones, make sure you are using local for reference coord sytem. You can scale the pelvis so that the thigh bone link is in the middle of the seem where the leg meets the lower abdomin of the body.

Either do the legs first or do the upper body, it is up to you.
Scale the bone so that most of them are within the mesh. Makes it a little easier to weight the verticies after you apply the skin modifier. Make sure that fingers and toes last bone, not the nubs is slightly past the end of the mesh.

Work your way thru the whole skeleton till you size and position all the bones. Make sure the footstep ends up at 0,0,0.

At that point save your file and then save a working copy to apply the skin modifier. You can do a simplified one to practice with with 2 figure and 1 toe, and 3 spines instead of 4.

Try an keep the bones under 63 if you can.

Also you can send the max file to my email address posted under my profile and I can look at your file if you wish.

I have done 12 charaters this month all with bipeds and they are working great in FPSC, so I think we can get you on the right track. bipeds are nicer to work with because all the bones are restricted to the proper rotation making animation easier.

Rigging bones on you own is good, but takes a little longer to make sure the axis of the bones are aligned proper for you.

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 17:35 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 17:36
Thanks for the run down I'm going to give this a try. I've been using existing character models to attempt rigs just to see how it all works out. Mostly been used to making static objects So getting into character modeling is new but its been a long time coming to get into and I'm really excited about it. So the first character you may see from me might look like of limited in detail at first. I'll send it over to your email when I'm done so you can check it out.

I've figured out fully how to set up the FPE files for animations and the FPI codes to load the animations. I'm so glad I'm past that part at least and the proper exporting thanks to your help! Hopefully this thread will be useful for anyone else that needs a quick run down.

I do have a rather basic question though... lol how do you set the feet at 0,0,0?

also should i be naming the bone objects according to the names that FPSC can read like for headshots and arm and leg detection hits and such?

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2013 04:56
Good, Glad things are progressing along for you.

Setting the feet at 0,0,0 is just moving all the attached meshes so that the center between the feet are on the 0 x axis, 0 y axis and 0 z axis. (see attached in download button.

No the naming of the bone structure does not matter in Max. It is done thru the fpe file. I will post that later for you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2013 09:59
Silly me at how easy it is to set an object's feet at 0x,0y,0z and forgetting. I'm checking out the limb naming stuff you sent me. This is really cool stuff looks like I'd be able to make a creature of any shape even get a headshot.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2013 15:30
It will all become second nature after a few weeks. Glad things are progressing for you.

riccetts
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if I only had one anim on the fpe list would the character only use that animation? Would I have to change animmax to 1?
Anybody know if that would work?
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 04:49
Can you animate a rotate without the use of bones?

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 14:50
@ teabone: Yes you can. Turn on Auto keyframe and advance the time to whatever frame you want the rotate to be complete at. Rotate the object to the desired rotation.

Export the object and set the animation frames in the FPE file.

@ Riccetts: The animated object for a FPE file will only use the animations you list in that file. Set animmax to one more then the number of animations listed in the FPE file.

EX:
animmax=5
anim0 = 0,0
anim1 = 1,12
anim2 = 13,25
anim3 = 26,40
anim4 = 41,41

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:07:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:07:25