Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] New Community Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 20:44 Edited at: 7th May 2013 21:23
Hi Guys, and Gals. I'm really glad to see the number of folks who have been kind enough to share they're talents with the community lately. As you probably figured, I was busy trying to get the Western Pack done, and had the privilage of doing some work for an awesome upcoming game release as well.

Here's a peak of what I was working on, And should cover my screenshot requirement for this thread.

"see attached" large Image.

I tried to work my color pallet to blend well with Bond1's egyptian characters, as can be seen in the last shot. I think I got pretty close.

Anyway.... The reason for this thread is to find out if anyone would like to contribute to a new Cosmic Community Pack. If enough folks would be willing to join in, I'd like to do some Free Stuff for everyone.

Also, this time, I'd like you guys to choose the theme. So post your desires, and whatever gets the most hits, we'll go with that.

I hope we can get get a great community turnout this time.

All my best, to all of you.

Back from the Wasteland.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 21:16
oh I can add my signature tunnel skillz to the mix
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 21:22
Thanks Buddy. That would be a treat!

Back from the Wasteland.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 21:28
Just depends on the theme doesn't suit every theme
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 21:29 Edited at: 8th May 2013 00:57
I was just thinking about Egyptian games the other day. The Celtic knot throws out the historical theming, but I like the colour palette, its not over gaudy and using contrasts as you have areas with less saturation brings the coloured areas out more.
You might want to watch the art film Lucifer rising by Kenneth Anger to get you in the mood. (try VeeHd for a higher res copy)

My suggestion - A pack like the first Tron film. So we are talking electronic world with glowing grids.

Ill contribute skyboxes if this is selected.
-------------------------------------------
Here is an even better idea, a segment pack, with segments of all different shapes, no 100x100x10 flat wall segments.

One of my pet hates being an old school BSP level designer back in the day is we made levels with interesting brushes. FPSc users make box rooms with hundreds of squares blocks that waste polys and resources, there is no wonder fpsc runs like sludge, its wasteful, flat squares all over the place, hundreds of them, if you are going to use a program that is wasteful in terms of building method all be it fast for design (note cube engine builds things with blocks but then it merges them, ie two blocks side by side, get merged into one block) anyway, fpsc is wasteful in how it builds levels, so at least use segments of different thickness or shape, that way you use all the polys on screen.

Ill also say, I have never seen a good level designer amongst every fpsc user I have ever seen. Note I said level designer, not level decorator, take all decorative entities out of your level leaving just the 'actual' game geometry, thats the actual 'level design'. I have never seen any good level geometry, the vertical axis also doesn't exists, what happens is users build boxes out of segments, then fill them with entity 'objects', pots pans, beds, ornaments, you name it, actual level design, you never see any. Part of the blame is reliance of decorative entities, and a lack of segment shapes.

So the best pack to make would be a pack of interestingly shaped segments.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 21:37
Lol fallen then I can help with that don't know knew last I created a 100 x 100 x 100 segments. Tron theme segments is right up my alley.

Will need to watch the movie a few times to get some ideas again, from what I can remember very clean cut design very spacious lots of glass and polished type metal and lights galore.

Nice idea, perhaps, not too tron like, as that will have limited reuse...
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 21:58 Edited at: 7th May 2013 21:59
I agree with the fallen one, the different shaped segments definitely a good idea, but i also think that there should be a good amount of entitys in the pack also. I think it should be a little like model pack 3, where there are a lot of entitys that can be used for all different genre.

I can contribute also, i might not be able to do that much as i am also working on the WW2 ultimate pack, and my game as well.

Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 23:39
I would be happy to try and help with anything I can.

Email me what you think you want me to work on.
I can model lightly and Texture lightly and I can always test test test.

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 00:31 Edited at: 8th May 2013 01:00
Here is examples I made in the past of Electronic style world,
(note ignore the lightcycle and recognizer models, they was place holders)

Go here for more -
http://www.avantivitastudios.com/solarcycle/

On the other topic of me hating flat 100x100x10 blocks. No poly waste flat surfaces here

The opposite of FPSc use of multiple tiles is the 20 brush challenge
http://www.mapcore.org/topic/14263-20-brush-level-compo-wip-discussion-thread/
http://www.mapcore.org/topic/14271-the-20-brush-challenge-submission-thread/

Of course fpsc uses tiles for ease of use, cube engine uses a similar technique but it merges them, we cant get around FPSc high resource, but easy design method, but we can make sure we dont waste meshes, hence I posted the white block image to show you a flat surface being broken up with tiles of different 'depths', complex high poly mesh, yes, but its no more than using multiple 'identical' meshes to make a 'flat' wall. The reason FPSc runs a bit slower, is in part not due to the engine, but how levels are built, all those tiled meshes come at a cost, that;s why I dont like hiding them in flat surfaces.

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 04:45 Edited at: 8th May 2013 04:46
I'm thinking like a modern settings pack. Things like:

Buildings
Apartments
Store fronts
furniture
Light entities like lamps, street lights, etc.
Cars, trucks and vans
Fencing and segments
Roads and sidewalks
Civilian characters
civil service (trashmen, Postment, etc)
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 06:32
Maybe you can make an animated knight with wings.

I'm addicted to programming and coffee!
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow another community project!
Now we have a modern one
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=202862&b=24
oNE WITH THe topic ww2
and now this.

Maybe I can make some models for this, but I did not promise. My skills are not really good. If you need a script, just say!

Corno_1

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 18:12 Edited at: 9th May 2013 01:24
Hi all

How about a cartoon-style pack. As far as I know there is only one cartoonpack in the FPSC collection. I'm thinking bright colours, huds like POW, SLAM, WHOOOSH and guns that zap, twinkle and barzooble.

With a cartoon-style pack, you can add anything: from magic mushrooms to Super-Duperman lookalikes, from toon castles to intergalactic ships, from zany enemies to dark forces.

We can push the borders of FPSC, because in cartoon-world anything can and does happen: we can script, model and plot the impossible/unimaginable/amazing.

Oops - got a little carried away there
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 18:25
Quote: "How about a cartoon-style pack"

This is also a good idea, this would make it the FPSC graphics look good because they are not supposed to look realistic.

Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 19:17
Quote: "This is also a good idea, this would make it the FPSC graphics look good because they are not supposed to look realistic."

Burn on FPSC... OUCH!

im jk lol

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I personally think there are more than enough Modern day items, which although useful are very well covered.

How about some different things..

1920's Chicago
Ghetto.. not post apoc.
Victorian England
Shopping Mall (I know I'm obsessed with this one - sorry, but it's very under represented).
Cruise Ship

Some of these are just random thoughts, but it would be nice to see something new - whatever you guys choose, it'll be great. Can't model to save my life, so I've no room for complaint
whatever.

SC
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 22:32 Edited at: 8th May 2013 22:38
Ill just remind people, this is
New Community Project
You have to actually help, not what you would like making for you.
Suggestions should be punctuated with an offer of help, its 'more' important that its what 'community' contributors would offer, not what receivers would like, as its a group effort, stressing the word, 'group' and 'effort'. No group, no effort and it doesnt get made, regardless of 'wants'.

Ill also note, for electronic themes, for grid textures to map perfectly on different sized depths of segment you need UV mapped segments made to a corresponding percentage of the tex map, ie, 50 units of depth, the sides of the UV must also fit 50% of the side of the texture. Otherwise the grid does not match up and it looks a mess.

I have those made and in my collection for segments of different thickness. So thats another offer there.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cosmic Prophet :- Nice work as always is there any reason why you make model packs in an old version of Fpsc and not used a more up to date version.

Keep up the good work

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 22:49 Edited at: 8th May 2013 22:57
Quote: "Ill just remind people, this is
New Community Project
You have to actually help, not what you would like making for you.
Suggestions should be punctuated with an offer of help, its 'more' important that its what 'community' contributors would offer, not what receivers would like, as its a group effort, stressing the word, 'group' and 'effort'. No group, no effort and it doesnt get made, regardless of 'wants'.
"

Dale actually asked for ideas in his original post...

Quote: "Also, this time, I'd like you guys to choose the theme. So post your desires, and whatever gets the most hits, we'll go with that."

... and therefore people are doing just that- posting ideas for Dale to consider. If Dale needs help, he will ask; if people contribute in their way, they will just as it has always been done in community packs Dale has spearheaded. Some people do in fact offer up some of their time to help out in some way.

But thank you for your clarification...

@ Dale,

Nice screenshots. I wonder what upcoming game those are from...

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 23:40
OOohhh... I'd like to help. Just...let me think on what to do...

May need to dust off Milkshape and that FPI edit pad... I'll just see what I can do. Simple stuff.

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
You see, cartoon pack - simple stuff - even I can contribute then
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2013 01:35
If you did a cartoon pack you would need to keep a theme or set of rules for the texture creation otherwise with different people contributing they will not match up due to the mix of styles.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2013 03:03
Quote: "Victorian England"

I vote steampunk.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2013 18:43
Steampunk!!

Inmortalis Nox
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2013 20:44
Cosmic did a steampunk community pack before didnt he?

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
cosmic already did a steam punk pack

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 06:22
MORE STEAMPUNK!

Perhaps a cartoon-ish, or comic book style Steampunk..eh? Eh? EH??

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
XDwannesXD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 14:24
i vote cartoon pack

-XDwannesXD
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 14:36
I vote for stylised media.

I guess you could class this as cartoon.

I will be able to contribute a little bit of media for this one. (models, textures, animations, sounds)

However, Fallen's idea of none cube like segments is a fantastic idea.

WOI is doing a great job of producing segments to break free of the blocky layout.

Unfamillia

MrCrazyDude115
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 01:32
I vote for cartoon pack, I can help with it
maxiqueen123
Years of Service
User Offline
I Vote for an Mafia pack

Quote: "1920's Chicago"

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size.
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2013 02:50
Cosmic Prophet,
Been a long time, Let look some of my stuff, I am sure that I can
come up with some stuff/
renny

Life is not fair, so deal with it.
http://www.gusroundtable.com/
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2013 07:50
I can help with whatever theme everyone decides.

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 04:44 Edited at: 14th May 2013 04:44
a mafia pack would b cool or some urban ghetto stuff not post apacalyptic lookin just worn down urban ghetto

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2013 21:16 Edited at: 15th May 2013 21:16
Hi guys, Well it seems that the Cartoon style theme is in the lead, so to speak. There were some other great ideas as well (even Steampunk) . And if I counted right, that's 7 yes' and 2 maybes' as far as contributors. Well, that's a start.

C'mon folks 750 views on the thread, and only 9 people want to join in? We can do better than that, can't we?

If you can do anything at all, models, textures, huds, sounds, scripts, any media at all, you can join in. And this is not meant for only the seasoned members, it's for everyone, even the new folks.

Even if you think your stuff isn't good enough, offer it up anyway. Someone is bound to like it.

I'll keep my eye on this for awhile, and see if we can get some more folks to join in. See you soon.

Back from the Wasteland.
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
I did not know if you count me in, so:

I definately join.

What I can do is: Scripts, segements, simple static models and huds.

Corno_1

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 00:03 Edited at: 16th May 2013 00:04
I agree with fallen one on the issue about cartoon models.

How about the 2013 communitypack. Pump in everything you want until new years eve. No theme, no restrictions, no condom.

I know this could backfire horribly... but hey! Its better than have a vague theme most of us can't use and it woul allow everyone to do what he can do best.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 00:49
LOL, I wanted to try and find a genra that folks were in need of media for. Something like that would be possible perhaps, but I'm not ready to commit the next 7 months putting a free model pack together. I'm sure you see my point.

Back from the Wasteland.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 01:10
Quote: "I agree with fallen one on the issue about cartoon models."

That's just one opinion. Err, well two if you agree. However ,the same can be said about any theme. Anytime a group get together to put these packs together, there is always a large assortment of media with mixed styles.

Quote: "Hi guys, Well it seems that the Cartoon style theme is in the lead, so to speak. There were some other great ideas as well (even Steampunk)"

You spent quite a bit of time already on a Steampunk pack (with others contributing). You really want to do another?

Quote: "LOL, I wanted to try and find a genra that folks were in need of media for. Something like that would be possible perhaps, but I'm not ready to commit the next 7 months putting a free model pack together. I'm sure you see my point."

Let's see. You (and Willow- I include her because she is doing it with you like she always does and does not get credit for her involvement) have done quite a bit in SciFi), Pirates, Western, modern, etc.I can access our packs page and list all the media but you get the point (including the "community" packs you have done). I'm not trying to be the antagonist (well okay maybe I am today), but you have done a lot already. It is great when you two step up to head a massive project like this (and I know it is huge because you have told us before in conversations) and it is nice to get a large assortment of free media made from great artists, but has anyone actually said "oh, you pick what you would enjoy doing". When is it time for you and Willow to have a choice? I'm sure there is something you both would enjoy doing. You can still get extra community members to help out (you know who to contact) and produce another great community pack.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 01:27 Edited at: 16th May 2013 01:28
I may be able to help but can someone post an example of what they mean by cartoon pack? Are we talking 1980's Smurfs, modern stylized Disney, Dragonball Z, or Borderlands? There are a lot of cartoon styles to choose from. All could be pretty sweet.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 01:57
maybe some kind of store pack. like for pizza shops, ice cream shops, super market, dry cleaner, ect.... so you would do entities, segments, store clerks and costumers. you could do back round music.....

just a thought...

gamer, lover, filmmaker
XDwannesXD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 08:49
Wolf's idea is really good, i would love a pack that contains various theme's

I definately want to help with this pack

-XDwannesXD
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 14:38
I would be willing to help on a 1920-1940 era style pack. The mafia type things. If that turns out to be the theme, count me in for contributions. I've already got a few textures done up that would suit the theme really nicely actually.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 19:30 Edited at: 16th May 2013 19:39
I'll contribute a script pack for this, I don't have a lot of time, but I've got some hanging around and I can do a few custom ones depending on what's needed. So, count me in..

*Dale*

Please remind me if I'm lax, because I've got a load on at the moment and I'm prone to forgetfulness..

SC
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 05:03
Its all so vaugue here, it may be best to just do a pack a various shaped segments, everybody who can model can at least contribute something, you also dont get the problem of mixed styles. Though I will say, if that theme gets done, make sure your segments UV map is corner to corner, and the the top and sides are flipped so that the first edge is the side of the map. That will never happen, so I suggest a standard unit I have made is used, as I have that modelled correctly, then all you have to do is add extra verts to make your shape or drag the verts. Unless someone else has a better idea to make sure other people dont have sloppy UVs.

On cartoon, you have to have a set style, it can be done if the style is agreed on and is one that can be uniform. No colour grading, as that cannot be uniform, so shadow and highlight would have to be hard edged, you then have the an un uniformity with how shadow and highlight would be applied, so best to just use flat colour and a black outline, even then the thickness of the line may be un uniform from one designer to another. You could agree to a set thickness, but then again, the size of the UV map will change that. There is also the option that just a flat diffuse is used, a regular texture, but a filter is used. There are comic filters so just look for one and everybody uses that one with the same settings. That might work, and you could also put anything in it in terms of objects, no set theme. It may work, have a look for a free texture filter that makes a comic book effect on a texture.

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all

Thanks fallen one on the suggestions on comicbook filters, etc.

When I suggested the cartoonpack I had three things in mind:

Fun: With cartoons you can have fun designing zap-guns, worble rays, purple whogologoshis and even the odd Glonfer. As cartoons only vaguely resemble reality, our imagination is the driving force. Huds can appear and scream out Whoooosh, SLAM, WHAM and POW. (PLONK)

Modelling space for everyone, from beginner to expert: Relatively easy models for those who are new to modelling - if a chair is a bit crooked it's ok, it's a cartoon. The more experienced modelers will obviously provide models of a higher quality, but the beginners will (hopefully) also have scope for joining in.

Texturing space for everyone - As cartoons are uniform in colour, the texturing can be done by basically anyone with the fill tool. Once again, the more experienced artists will ensure that their uv's bleed and their "shadow and highlight" will be uniform and other things I do not understand yet.

Although everyone can contribute, in building your own game you choose which models and textures appeal to you. (We all do that anyway.)

But I'm cool with whatever Cosmic decides on.

Eugene
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 10:52
@elbow

Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed reading it.

Quote: "even the odd Glonfer"

Made me chuckle.

Unfamillia

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 13:14 Edited at: 17th May 2013 13:20
Quote: "Thanks fallen one on the suggestions on comicbook filters, etc.
When I suggested the cartoonpack I had three things in mind:"

Then as I suggested, you dont mind finding a free texture filter tool for people to 'potentially' use? Im not doing it, Im not contributing to a cartoon pack, so its not something Id spend time finding.

Willow
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 18:19 Edited at: 17th May 2013 18:40
Quote: "Fun: With cartoons you can have fun designing zap-guns, worble rays, purple whogologoshis and even the odd Glonfer. As cartoons only vaguely resemble reality, our imagination is the driving force. Huds can appear and scream out Whoooosh, SLAM, WHAM and POW. (PLONK)

Modelling space for everyone, from beginner to expert: Relatively easy models for those who are new to modelling - if a chair is a bit crooked it's ok, it's a cartoon. The more experienced modelers will obviously provide models of a higher quality, but the beginners will (hopefully) also have scope for joining in.

Texturing space for everyone - As cartoons are uniform in colour, the texturing can be done by basically anyone with the fill tool. Once again, the more experienced artists will ensure that their uv's bleed and their "shadow and highlight" will be uniform and other things I do not understand yet."

Exactly what should be done so that ALL can join in and ALL can have fun. If a cartoon pack ends up being the 'pick' I am defiantly in.

Quote: "free texture filter tool"

HUH? Sorry, I don't understand why anyone would need this. If you can do a simple 'color fill' and draw a line, then you can do cartoon. It really is easy and I think would be a great idea to do a cartoon pack so that All levels of experience could have fun with it.

BlueFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If a cartoon pack ends up being the 'pick' I am defiantly in."

I vote cartoon pack too. We ladies have to stick together.

Quote: "If you can do a simple 'color fill' and draw a line, then you can do cartoon. It really is easy and I think would be a great idea to do a cartoon pack so that All levels of experience could have fun with."

If my 4 year old can do cartoon with his crayons, then I bet others will have no problem. Never heard of needing to use a "texture filter tool" before either. Must have missed that in my studies many years ago.

- BlueFox

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:07:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:07:22