Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Stronghold

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 04:43

INTRO
Hi everybody! It's BedsideReaper. For a multitude of reasons, I've had to create a new thread for my game Stronghold. But with this new thread, I give you all a sneak peak at the revamped version of Stronghold. The game has been reworked to employ a darker, less colorful scene. Still employing a slow-jazz film noir style, level's two and three (alleyway and basement) are still the same while the other level's that were previously constructed have been totally reworked based on personal choice. Well, here is the game, and I hope you like it. Enjoy!

PLOT SUMMARY
A few weeks before the events of the game, getaway driver Adrian Gray broke out of prison. Serving ten years was a little more then he could handle, so he escaped in two. Setting up shop in a once-great but currently piece of crap hotel, Adrian begins to get his life in order. Find some simple work, evade the cops, find the old crew that set him up for a couple of murders on that bank heist two years back.Things go smoothly for a while, until the cops find out where Gray is, and mount an advance to arrest him. Simultaneously, a group of adversaries swiftly and violently take over the hotel. Thinking quickly, Gray makes for an escape until he's contacted by a policeman named Frost. Gray sets up a deal with Frost: if he helps stop the incursion, Gray's name will be cleared. And so, as Adrian (an apparent convict with a heart of gold), you must charge your way through the run-down hotel taking down any enemy that comes your way, while trying to find out who exactly this group of agitators are, and what it is they're after.

ORANGES
Here are some nice screens and some more info about the game, or as I like to call them: Oranges.

A simple stockroom in the once-beautiful hotel. The game employs a heavy noir style and incorporates an older version of the protagonist as it's Narrator.

The kitchen in Adrian's room. The hotel was inspired by larger than life hotels such as the Overlook (the Shining), the Dolphin (1408) and the Hotel Splendide and imagining them run down.

A food storage room in the bowels of the hotel. Most of the game's puzzles are presented in scripted minigames that include retrieving a key from a furnace, or escaping a sweltering sauna.

A loading bay where it's believed the attackers first entered. The game is very story driven, and will use many cutscenes which put further detail into Gray's journey.

OTHER STUFF
My other game code named: Project Nightmare is still in production as I'm switching off between the two to prevent burn out.

I found some inspiration for the game in Die Hard (one of my favorite films of all time), LA Noire, Max Payne and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Hey guys! Wish to try out a demo for the game? Try clicking on the link below and tell me what you think.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1961667826/StrongholdDemo.rar

Until next time guys, thanks for taking the time to look at this page and for your support. Later.

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 06:48
Downloading the demo now!

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 08:44
Looks good, I'm downloading the demo right now.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 10:46
Downloaded it and gave it a play. All in all I must say it was a solid, wholesome FPSC game expeirence. I didn't expect as much as I got, which is nice. I'll keep this review nice and simple:

The Good:
Level Design/Lighting- not great but generally well done and atmospheric to a degree

Sounds/Sound design- good job, audio logs, custom gun noises, enemies talking, I liked it and you did a good job.

The Gameplay- It must have been the sound or the recoil or the number of enemies or something, but oddly enough, killing an enemy just... felt... satisfying.

The Bad:
The Frame Rate- When I say "bad" I don't mean it was ever anything close to intolerable, but it's easy to tell the difference between 120 and 40 fps, and when there's quite a lot of ragdoll bodies piling up, the FPS gets even more choppy. my suggestion is to get rid of the ragdoll, no one notices it when 90% of the time the bodies just ragdoll into the default FPSC spread eagle position anyway.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 08:54
Hey guys, thanks for the nice words! It's keeps my spirits up. In return I give you a few more oranges to enjoy!

Here's a shot of an inaccessible exterior from level 6. Like stated, you can't go out there, but it's there just to give the player a better feel of atmosphere and realism.

He's dead, Jim... I was testing out the game the other day and this happened. I think he's sick.

And thank YOU Bugsy! It's an honor hearing that from you. I was gonna take out the ragdolls sooner or later. The ones that weren't actually dynamically falling, at least. I'm trying to aim for some awesome enemy placements which allow the ragdolls to actually work, for example, the guy on the stairs in the lobby, or the guy with his head in the toilet. Otherwise, I was thinking about having the enemies flicker out after they're dead. Thanks again guys!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 18:42
All right, gave it a play and I must say that this is to me also, a very pleasant surprise.

It had good atmosphere, the music added to it nicely and all the interactible stuff was neat. The action felt satisfying as Bugsy stated, it was really fun. Love all the modifications you made to the guns. I'd suggest having a different crosshair or no crosshair at all, to make the use of iron sights necessary, at least from some distance.

The only thing that was quite bothersome in my opinion, was the lighting. It was too dark and partly I couldn't see my enemies at all. I didn't have a frame rate problem. Other than the darkness, it was really good and I'd suggest anyone to try it out. And I hope this would be a project that gets through, as it's one that I'm eagerly waiting forward to.

And I like the oranges, they're nice.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2013 07:05 Edited at: 27th May 2013 07:32
@Bugsy- Whats your system stats?

I played it and had no frame-rate problems at all. The atmosphere was ace; the only problems I encountered was falling through the floor once(known FPSC bug),also had the bobblehead(known FPSC bug as well), and for some reason I couldn't crouch, so when I got to the grate I couldn't go any further. I desperately wanted to see more. I'm not sure if you included any outdoor sections of your game but check out mp66. It would fit your Noir theme perfectly which by the way you nailed it. Music was great for what I heard. I look forward to seeing more of this game. Keep up the good work.

Model pack 66-99 high quality items...cheap!!
"Who loves ya baby!"
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2013 10:41
Quote: "Whats your system stats?"

AMD 1090t 6 core processor overclocked at 3.5ghz (i can go higher but its not stable)
8gb DDR3 ram
Dual ATI 6950 2GB in crossfire (unlocked and overclocked)
850w psu
windows 7 pro

Let me clarify: when I say "frame rate problem" I don't mean that the frame rate got low, I mean that the frame rate variated quite a bit, and went as low as 40. If the framerate goes below 60, when at other times it's more than twice that high, I comment since it's a noticeable issue to me. I strongly wish FPSC still had a cap :/

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 09:32
I'm actually stuck on the second level , where do I go after having unlocked all the rooms (the latest room I unlocked has a few shelves and stuff stockpiled against a door). Oh, and I found one easter egg

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 15:21 Edited at: 29th May 2013 15:22
Burger: The answer is in the corner, my good man. Also, which easter egg did you find? The Christmas room, or Thomas the Snowman?

Disturbing 13: Thank you for the kind words, sir! When the 1.20 final build comes out, it should be smooth sailing from there on. I also DO have an alley way level built, as well as a rooftop level to be developed later. Did you hit the CTRL button to crouch?

Metal Devil123: The cross hair idea is pretty good. Most of time, I don't even use my cross hairs, I just aim and shoot. I'll try that and see what happens. As for the darkness, I was wondering what your settings are? I can never tell if my screen is too bright or not because of it's position in relation to my location, so it gets really hard to tell how good lighting is.

Is anyone else having problems with the lighting?

Anyways, thank you guys for the awesome words and reviews! More updates will be coming soon!

BedsideReaper

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 19:12
Quote: "I was wondering what your settings are?"

My ambient lighting is at 0. I use large dark colored lights to lit my areas though. Hope this helps

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks good, I'm downloading now.

Quote: "strongly wish FPSC still had a cap :/"

Unconnected - This has been restored along with some expansions of the timer system and will be in the next update.
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 13:03
Well that was easy once I figured out . . .

It was the snowman I found by the way. Hehe . . . Easter Eggs are the absolute best. In my game, I have an FPSC game case in each level you can pick up and find, always in some really tricky places.

As I was saying, about your game. It's great. Atmospheric, unique feeling theme, fun gun fights, a little humorous, extras to go into, easter eggs. I found the combat nice and challenging. I experienced 40 FPS at minimum, but an excellent 55+ FPS almost always. No glitches or errors encountered, pretty well polished. I wanted to play more of the demo .

Now onto some possible improvements. I found it a little strange I was able to shoot some doors but not others, but that's overly critical. I think you did pretty well it terms of making the player search around for items. But I had to ask for help, because I didn't realise I had to shoot that door at the end of the demo. There was a slightly buggy script with the laptop (for the pin or whatever) because it jumped around with the numbers, sometimes I could approach it and not press e and the text showed. I do say slightly, because that's all. I noticed the player wobble too, although the latest betas fix that. The shotgun was also glitchy, the reload doesn't quite work, and the damage felt low, it took two hits to kill. I cant think of a lot else to say, it was a great demo.

All in all very well done, keep up the good work

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded it and here is my review:
First: Why you are using rapidshare? For free users it is really slow. Use mediafire instead.

Game:
Good:
- Sounds
- Layout
- Level design

Bad:
- Sometimes I fall through the floor
- Enemies shoot me through entities
- Unsharp posteffect(If it should be like this, ok, but this effect has something from beeing tired)
- The ventdoors. There stand "press E to interact". I press e and nothing happens. I search for other ways until I remeber that you want to publish a quicktimedoor script.
- Outside windows in a building
- Recorder is on, also if I am not in the room anymore.
- I can change the ambience(update to the newest 1.2)

I know this sounds maybe hard, but all in all I like your game. It has a good atmosphere. So no offence, ok

Corno_1

http://cornofpsc.webs.com/

"The Corno_1 Way of Scripting" by Corno_1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:51:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:51:48