Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Free 3D painting programs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I figured out modeling somewhat but I need a 3d program to paint my entities. I'm using milkshape for modeling.Blender doesn't seem to have a compatible extension for milkshape.
Poloflece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 01:13
Sculptris is a free sculpting program which also has a built in texture painter, however for most models you would be much better off manually uv mapping them (which can be done in the software you have) then texturing them using a program like photoshop, GIMP or paint.net.

Poloflece

riccetts
Years of Service
User Offline
I have paint.net but it isn't 3d. so how can I paint the models?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 04:26
Hi riccetts
I had a feeling you might ask about UV mapping/texturing next. If your using Milkshape to model already, stick with it for now. Watch this quick video tutorial UV mapping and Milkshape to get started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YSKPa9NBM
Once you learn to UV map all you really need is Paint.net or maybe Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/
Gimp. Gimp does a little more than Paint and is also free
best
riccetts
Years of Service
User Offline
ncmako,
I watched both vids and I get the uv part but I still want to use paint.net. I did what he did with paint.net and it showed up on milkshape's sphere but not on the box that I created. I need some help please.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 01:08
riccetts
If you unfolded (UV'd) the box/crate like in the video then save both the UV map ( I think it's a .bmp in UV mapper) and save the UV'd model (box/crate usually as a .obj) then it should work. Then open Milkshape, import the .obj, apply the new (texture) map (first change it to a .dds file if you want). Export from Milkshape as a .x with the new texture. Done.
riccetts
Years of Service
User Offline
ncmako,
I worked on it all day and figured it out. However I have one more question. My bmp file is real tiny how can I enlarge them and what is a good size?
By the way I couldn't of done this with out you! Thanks alot
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 05:35
riccetts
Good to hear your working it out. As for the size, watch the video again (right at 3:30). A good size to save is 512 or 1024. I like 1024x1024. You can use Paint.net to convert to .dds(or anything else really).
UVMapper classic is ok for simple entities. For more complex models(characters and such) there are many programs to use, from cheap to expensive. Also look into "LithUnwrap".I use a free one called "RoadKill". Its great for doing complex, organic models.
http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm
Both are free and do a nice job.
best luck
riccetts
Years of Service
User Offline
ncmako,
Remember I asked you why my text is backwards? I'm still having problem with that.
Any suggestions?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 16:32
riccetts
Quote: "my text is backwards"

As I remember your using Milkshape. I just double check to make sure. When your exporting the .X file using the DirectX JT exporter (don't use the DX8 exporter, I hear it causes a lot of problems) make sure you've checked "right handled"
Here are the settings I use, play with it abit.

best
riccetts
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks man

I also discovered in paint.net in the layers drop down it has flip horizontal which will make the text backwards.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:16:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:16:59