Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / AppUp / SDK and encapsulator discontinuation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I experienced several issues with regards to the Tier 1 / AppUp documentation on the AppGameKit website:
http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/50_windows.htm)
This document is sorely in need of revision.

Thanks to the persistence of Ancient Lady, I was able to advance to the following section of the Tier 1 / AppUp document:

- Locate and download the 'Intel AppUp Software Debugger' downloadable from the AppUp dev site

I was unable to locate this file on the AppUp Developer Site. Further, I found that the "Intel AppUpĀ® SDK and encapsulator" has been discontinued and the SDK is no longer available as of May 1, 2013. http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/03/22/intel-appup-sdk-and-encapsulator-discontinuation

Please advise regarding my options. I have posted a similar request in the AppUp SDK forums, but have yet to receive a response.

Sincerely,
Derek Bain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2013 21:06
That looks like a serious game changer.

They don't give any real information on whether AppUp is actually going to continue and how it can be used.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2013 00:22 Edited at: 6th Jun 2013 00:23
You don't need to use Intel's SDK for AppGameKit Tier 1 apps submitted through AppUp. Thanks to MSI Mini Maker it is possible to build the silent install package required by AppUp in a few steps rather than the many dozens explained in the outdated AppGameKit guide.

See: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=201286&b=41 for instructions.

You'll still need a code signing certificate and Intel's App Signing Utility to sign the EXE before uploading it.

For me getting the certificate and then going through the review process was the most tedious. Comodo required me to send them all kinds of documentation including driver's license, bank statements, phone invoices and more. Even after all of that, they still forced me to add my phone number to a random public white page directory just so they could verify my identity. Then during the review process, Intel rejected my app because I didn't include a trademark symbol after the word Ultrabook in my description.

Aside from that, I think you'll find AppUp is not very active and it's difficult to get over 100 downloads on even a free app unless you are a major publisher.

P.S., Since this is a general Tier 1 question it would've been more appropriate to post in the main AppGameKit forum--that is also a much more active forum than this one.
dbain21 Tuatara Software
Years of Service
User Offline
@Xcept - thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the Mini MSI Maker. If you don't mind my asking, what site(s) are you utilizing to publish / distribute your apps?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 01:58 Edited at: 7th Jun 2013 01:59
Unfortunately for PC I don't know of many centralized options aside from AppUp and Windows 8 store (which I've heard is even more error prone trying to get an app through). However, you may wish to look into some indie game channels like Desura where you can sell your apps--but I have never used such services. The other option is to self publish it on your own site but again it's hard to get traffic to unknown sites.

For mobile apps I just use iTunes and Google Play. With Android, I have also started submitting to Amazon, Getjar and SlideMe as it's very easy. For one free app I released recently, Amazon brings about 10 downloads a day, SlideMe 20-30, GetJar 1-5, Google Play 10-20, and Apple 400-600.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 16:54
I can confirm the extreme ease of use of the MSI Mini Maker. I used it to make my MSI for AppUp and I used that code signing utility too. Both work awesome.
Take a look at some of my whiney posts about AppUp. Hopefully it will help you avoid some of the mistakes I made. Overall I think it took me 6 weeks to get my app on their store.
The only other Windows distribution platform I'm using is Gameolith.com
Very friendly and easy to use. I made a post somewhere here about alternative distribution platforms.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=205139&b=41

Most of them require that the game is not free or ad supported so they were out for me. The others have not responded to my requests to list my app other than Gameolith.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have questions about AppUp. xCept also has a wealth of knowledge on this platform.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 16:11:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 16:11:18