Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / How's everybody been?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 16:54
Hey guys, some of you might better remember me as 'da_power_pwnerer'. I've been coming here since 2005-ish and, actually, when I first started composing (Probably around 2007-current), I received the most help I could ever ask for the whole way through, and I'd actually like to thank everybody if they remember helping me out. I'd like to see where all the regulars are these days, what everyone has been doing/working on, awesome things, etc. and to drop by and say hello. Since I've, uhh, dropped off? (If that's what you wanna call it), I've been working on other creative areas of game development such as art and graphics, programming, music, the whole nine yards. I want to actually release a few pieces to you guys someday here soon, and maybe pull up my old compositions for you guys to use in your projects. Soon enough though, soon enough.

So yeah, how's it going guys?

xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 20:56
Man, it's upsetting to see the downhill damage over the years. This section seems to be riddled with shameless self-advertisers anymore., and frankly, that's just not how it should be. If you fit that description, here's a tip for you. This is a learner's forum. You seem to be confusing this site with, say, craigslist. You aren't going to be getting any work here; this section is for people legitimately trying to help other developers out who may or may not be that artistic in the category of music. This is not a place to advertise.

KariSigurd
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I remember you, my nick used to be Lucifer. I don't hang around these forums much anymore, just check in once every other month or so to see if there are any interesting topics going on.

I guess a lot has changed in my life since I attended these forums daily but I guess essentially I'm doing the same things every day, making music and programming

Here's my soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/karisigurd4 with all my latest tracks if you're interested
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 15:50 Edited at: 4th Jul 2013 15:51
Quote: "This section seems to be riddled with shameless self-advertisers anymore., and frankly, that's just not how it should be. "

Exactly why I don't bother posting in it, or even peek in anymore.

Anyway, I remember both of you from the good old days
I'm in a power metal band these days so that's where most of my musical work goes. I still write occassional songs for indie games; this has mostly been in school though (have been attending a university programme in game development over the last three years, which has also lead to my game-related efforts being more focused around programming than music) for the reasons stated above; nobody hardly looks for musical assistance around here anymore and if they do there are always 3+ professional musicians ready to jump in. Little room for the common man...

Since this section seems to be dying off perhaps it could be interesting to make an effort to revive it back to it's old, friendlier, non-advertising amateuristic origins though...?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 18:31 Edited at: 4th Jul 2013 19:31
I remember both of you actually, you guys helped me out so much, especially you Rudolpho. I feel you about the power metal band, I've been off and on with metal bands since I actually first started composing. Nowadays, my metal music remains solely in my studio, unfortunately. I've uploaded one of my most recent heavier recordings here, just my buddy and I (He did screams; I did everything else. That's usually how it goes.), if you want to check it out. It does contain explicit vocals in certain parts, so I'm giving fair warning: if you're very young, you probably don't want to listen to this. It's around a year old.

Since I started making music, I've been able to experiment with and learn a huge range of genres. I'm always trying to learn something new; I think it'd be a great idea to try and bring back this section, I remember how helpful it used to be. Over the past couple weeks, I've actually been working on a free 4-track composition pack for games so that could be a start. I'm hoping to release it next week. Also, if you guys want to hear my other compositions, check out my site [At my 'Web' link] and go to 'My Works -> Audio -> Showcase'. You might actually remember critiquing some.

KariSigurd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 22:34 Edited at: 4th Jul 2013 22:35
Hey Rudolpho, have you released any tracks with your band? I'd like to give it a listen if possible

I checked out your site xCatalyst, I definitively remember listening to a few of those back in the day hah. Your website is cool too, I'm planning to update mine soon (it's just a flash-based website atm) is it hard to get a wordpress site up and running like that?
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2013 01:57 Edited at: 5th Jul 2013 02:13
Hey thanks man, I appreciate that. And nah, it was actually relatively easy to be honest. Just download the wordpress archive and upload it to your host. Afterwards, you have to set up a MySQL database for your users; I was lucky because my host supports cPanel. Finally, just head on over to your site address, and it will actually run you through a setup page where you can input your database information. That's about the whole process haha

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can actually install themes, plugins, alter codes, etc. straight from the dashboard, which is definitely a plus

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 23:28
Haha, yeah, remember some of those as well, although your site was being picky and only allowed me to listen to a single song per refresh without cutting the audio. Maybe it's just my system though; am running at rather high capacity at the moment.
You've got quite good I must say

We do have a youtube channel with some old demo recordings (wherein the mixing was less than desirable) as well as some live recordings made with poor quality phone-cameras (thus the audio is what you would expect from that) here if you're interested

KariSigurd
Years of Service
User Offline
Hah Rudolpho, checked out your videos and you guys look awesome! Loving the sound of your tracks, you guys know your stuff!

I was actually surprised to hear the Swedish in the beginning in one of your videos, didn't realize you were Swedish until now heh. That's cool because I'm moving to Skövde in August or September to study computer science at the university, and the current plan is to live and work in Sweden after uni (can't stand living in Iceland anymore). Maybe I'll catch one of your live shows in the future eh?

Anyways, I'm still working on my website after I set up wordpress, it looks really dumb at the moment but I'll get there. http://karisigurd.com/
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 01:00 Edited at: 11th Jul 2013 01:26
I think it looks awesome man, I understand the difficulty of adding content to a site, it totally sucks. I'm still trying to figure out what to talk about on mine lol, still working on it as well. I've decided on the name 'Rapture Arts' for my own personal endeavors, so I've updated my site to reflect that.

And Rudolpho, you guys are definitely solid. You have a great sound together, and by the looks of it, you're all pretty passionate about it. I'd love to start playing live shows again soon, I just can't seem to ever find musicians who are actually about it though and have the drive to keep learning. Thanks for pointing out that bug on my site as well, I'll try and see if I can solve the problem. Which browser are you using?

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! sorry if I'm late for this thread but yes I do remember a lot of you but it seems that everyone left when I came back and not sure what happen and I thought by contributing around might bring some people back that I knew.

now I spent most of my time on newgrounds but really wish we revived this place like back then.We had a bunch of stuff going on here but than everything turned out more like a source for advertisement.
Also been doing some art projects around for some people and preparing myself for some events going on around my place.Trying to self publish is really hard and takes a lot of work but I've been doing good for the last couple of month's.I Also started doing jobs as a caricature artist for people.

I remember Rudolpho and da_power_pwnerer you guys are awesome and really hope that we can recreate a better place on here.

Its nice to see you guys!

NGXMusical Free Track Lib http://www.soundclick.com/NGXmusicalNGX
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2013 01:01
Absolutely, I understand your difficulties. You have some serious talent though NGX, it's definitely been quite awhile since I've heard your works, I'll have to head over to your thread and check some of your newer pieces out What we really need here is a mod or somebody, the premise around all the other forum categories is that there are no team requests and that's exactly how it should be here. This needs to be a place for feedback and resources, just like the old days, you don't see people around saying 'programmer for hire' or 'developer for hire' etc. that'd just be absurd.

I can't tell you how much I've learned from critiquing other composers such as you guys while at the same time receiving feedback on my own works. It's truly been the best way I've learned. I hope we can start getting back to the swing of things soon though, it's gonna take some time but I believe we can make it happen

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 01:41
Sorry for my late reply, managed to get a bit forgetful in the summer heat

@Kari: Oh Skövde huh? Haha, that's quite a bit away from where we are holding up but who knows
Sweden is a pretty nice country if you ask me, but of course it has it's problems too (for example really hard to get a job without previous experience in the work are. Which you will never get because you're not permitted to start anywhere without prior experience...).
I checked out your song and wow, you've sure improved since back then too

@NGX: Long time no see. It seems you've been keeping busy with your music though, that's a lot of threads by you hidden in with the advertisers'. Will have to go through them when I get the time.

Quote: "What we really need here is a mod or somebody, the premise around all the other forum categories is that there are no team requests and that's exactly how it should be here. This needs to be a place for feedback and resources, just like the old days, you don't see people around saying 'programmer for hire' or 'developer for hire' etc. that'd just be absurd."

I completely agree!
Maybe this should be brought to a moderator's attention since I kind of doubt they really frequent this board enough to read that themselves these days.
Then again maybe it is considered appropriate here for whatever reason; an official word would be nice nonetheless.
I might send someone a mail to enquire about it.

Also, thanks for the nice words about my band guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:42:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:42:51