Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / AGK Viewer (iPhone)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 23:24
The AppGameKit Viewer (iPhone) for my iPhone 4 appears not to be working. It says " Stream is Active " underneath the AppGameKit logo. The game is not broadcasting to the iPhone. Any help would be appreciated! We have a lot of Ping here so that could possibly be a factor.

-Nick Shepherd

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 01:21
First of all, the AppGameKit Viewer is totally useless as a test tool. You cannot interact with the Viewer directly and it won't respond to any accelerometers on it. The Viewer only mimics what is happening on your PC.

Having said that, is your iPhone connected to the same network as your PC?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
nickshepherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 01:53
The AppGameKit Viewer doesn't even let me view what is on the PC. They are both on the same network. The screen on the AppGameKit Viewer appears to be frozen after I broadcast. I was thinking that the viewer would still return user inputs to the computer *My Bad* . Thanks.

-Nick Shepherd
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 19:53
The viewer does still return inputs.

It is not totally useless. It Is good for checking layout, and how best the touch screen for input. Have not checked the accelerometer, but had thought it would work.

I frequently broadcast personalised games to my Ipad for my 3 year old to use.

Admitted it is not as good as an AppGameKit player - but that's Apples Fault.

That being said - It has now stopped working for me. I am having the same problems as you.

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 12:32
I'm confused as the differences between player, and viewer? I knew apple took down the player (a while ago), but I hadn't noticed the appearance of viewer.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 08:24
The Viewer simply shows you what is also being displayed on your PC when you use the broadcast and execute button (this runs the app on your PC and transmits at the same time).

The Viewer does not accept input from you or the iOS device it is being viewed on. Not very good for testing. It doesn't even display it very well, IMHO.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 17:40
Oh I see, thanks for clarification. I can't understand why apple make such a fuss about it personally. Its annoying as I have an iPad 2 and iPod's 4 and 5 - mainly for testing purposes... And they can't be used
I suppose I'll have to get an android device - but I'm not having much luck, the only android device I own is a HTC Wildfire, android 2.2.1, a revision lower than the agk player supports!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 08:59
Do you have a Mac of some sort? If you do, than you can build your own Player for them. That is what I do.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 12:35
I have a Mac mini, but I thought you'd need a developer subscription to build anything to test with the i-devices? Because I'm nearly always broke, I usually make a point of not buying anything that's a subscription ( I thought I would when I have some apps nearly done). Because of missing payments, etc. being a student doesn't leave me much by way of funding!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 01:55
Yes, you do need the iOS or Mac Developer's License from Apple. They each cost $99 USD/year.

You can develp Mac apps and test them without the certificates on your Mac Mini (I have one as well). But you absolutely have to have the license and create the right certificate(s) to test in an iOS environment.

So, unless you can commit to the $99 year, then you really can't develop for iOS. They require you to keep your license renewed, or they yank your apps from the AppStore.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 02:01
So wait, I have to pay $99 USD/year, to host free apps on their exclusive iOS store - or they remove them?

That's hardly fair.. I wouldn't mind paying every year I wanted to add new apps, but I think the chance of me being able to raise that much a year to host a bunch of apps is daft.

Knowing Apple, they also take a cut of all app sales?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 06:35
Google charges a one time fee (currently $25 USD). Kindle (Amazon) is currently waving the $99/year fee. And they don't give any clue as to when they might not wave it.

I don't know if Apple has some sort of deal for people who only do free apps.

And of course they take a cut. Everyone does. And everyone (Apple, Google, Amazon) take about 30%.

With Apple (and I am not appologizing or excusing anything, just stating facts), they will publish your app in lots of different countries and handle any sales tax, VAT, whatever, transparently to you (for most of the popular countries and regions).

I haven't looked into the same information for Google or Amazon publishing in non-US areas.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 10:34
Thanks all for the info, it's a shame apple and others don't do a developer account for developing which is cheap, and a deprecate more expensive account for actual publishing! But then that's the advantage of agk, I can probably just get an android device of same res to test before publishing...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:44:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:44:45