Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 18:31
Ok, I've got a basketball model and its texture, but when I add the texture to the model by the .fpe scripting, the model with its texture comes out awfully wrong, nowhere near the place its supposed to be.

I don't know if I have to use a program to add the texture to it correctly (Which I don't think you can) or what...

I am a total newbie at texturing entities themselves (As I can texture segments). I got Misfit Model 3d, Milkshape, and Wings 3d but have no idea how to texture at all.

The advanced game creator + Good listener.

Taking school for game creating and using FPS Creator for starters.
Fenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 19:03
I'm not great at texturing, but I do know that models have to be UV mapped for the texture to appear properly. I use a free program called UV Mapper. It only loads Wavefront .obj files, so your model will initially have to be in that format. Once the model has been UV mapped. Save out the texture file and the model. The texture file will be in .bmp format. Load it up in a paint program and apply your texture. Note that you'll have to change the color depth of the .bmp file.

You'll also have to save out your .obj file as a .x file, by loading it into a conversion program or a modeling program. I use Blender for loading the .obj and exporting as a .x file.

This should get you started in the right direction. As far as proper UV mapping, look around the forums for tutorials. You should find a few. Good luck.

Life is about living.
Jermiah Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 15:37
But when I export the .bmp, it turns out as a lot of black lines with white spaces, I don't know which one to color so it will show the texture right.

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 18:56
That's generally how a UV map should look. You need to think about what shape on the image represents what shape on the model, and you can set it out to help you do that.

Here's a good explanation of a spherical UV map

It's best if you take up the entire UV space (512x512, 1024x1024, whichever you're using etc. Using powers of 2 is best)for a spherical map.

I'd recomend working in a format other than bmp for textures. Something like png, jpg, tga, or dds will work best (that's almost in order of 'work bestest', or at least my personal opinion).

As for tutorials for UV mapping, particularly a sphere, I don't think you'll have much luck trying to find tutorials. Spheres are generally very easily mapped, and isn't really something a tutorial would teach you to do, because of how simple it is, but perhaps that's just me talking. As long as you can find the UV unwrapper for your modelling package, you should be able to look around and easily unwrap a sphere. Anything beyond that, or a cube, then you may need a tutorial.

Hope you can get it sorted. Post your UV map and model if you want so we could have a look at it and help you get it working properly. I'd be happy to help

Jermiah Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 20:29
The file type really don't matter as long as you have a converter, but I really don't get how you export the texture of the 3d model you have, I really don't, is there a program that will let you export your texture in the right spot for your model, WITHOUT having to color it? Don't really seem hard to do.

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 22:16 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2013 22:16
You don't export the texture. You export a UV map, after you've created one

You absolutely must create a UV map for your mesh. that tells it how a texture should be applied to the model. It will try to guess for you, but what it comes up with will never be right, and there are only very rare cases where a UV map wouldn't be needed at all, usually where a primitive texture or incredibly primitive shape is used.

It is rather hard to do, I think it's the longest, most tedious part of creating media. You can't texture an object correctly without having UV mapped it prior.

Create the mesh, then the UV, then the texture. Then do whatever you need to do to get it in game. Not any different order.

What I use for modelling has its own built in UV unwrapper, but you could try a google search for some free ones. There are a few out there, but its been years since I used any, so im not sure what's around/good etc

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 00:05
Hi, I may have something that might help Jermiah Jones. A free 3D texturing tool. A bit older but still works just fine for beginners. TeraBit software's Tattoo. Import your UVed mesh and start painting. Then export texture. Great for getting started and as I said "Free"! http://www.terabit-software.co.uk/Tattoo.aspx
(Win7-install directly to "C" drive)
best

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:01:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:01:38