Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Dynamix] Hardware simulation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 10:25
Trying to get hardware physx working. The command Dyn Hardware Present() doesn't seem to work right - it only works if physics is already started and then it just says if physics is currently running is hardware mode. I need a command to check if the user has hardware physx, like with an nvidia card, before physics is started.

Also, having hardware physics on seems to make no performance difference at all, even with hundreds of objects and many timesteps?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 10:32
For hardware support install the PHYSX Runtime software from NVIDIA.com
You can enable the PHYSX indicator in the NV Control Panel... You need to be on the PHYSX page of the panel to see the option for the indicator...
The indicator tells you if you are in hardware or cpu mode...

Forgot other stuff but this should get you somewhere for now...

Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 10:40
Ok, it seems that hardware physx isn't working at all... even if I choose the GPU as physics processor and use "dyn start 1" explicitly, the indicator still says "Physx>CPU"

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 10:43
Have you played NFS Shift yet?

Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 11:29
no...?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 11:46
You will find it mainly uses the CPU for PHYSX effects as it is a PSYSX driven game... See if you can find a demo of it... But my point is, I believe the API decides when to use the GPU to accelerate the effects... However I am looking at the PHYSX SDK soon... Hope this helps... You could go to the nv website and download some PHYSX demos fo see if they utilise the GPU try guru3d.com there are a few PHYSX demos there too...

Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 23:59
It decides which processor to use only when set to "auto select" in nvidia control panel and hardware is enabled. I was messing around with planetside 2 and it says "physx>GPU" when I select the GPU as physx processor in nvidia control panel. I can't get dynamix (or dark physics for that matter) to say physx>gpu no matter what I try. It might be that hardware acceleration for physx 2.8 is no longer supported.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 00:27
Hawken uses 2.8.4 which I believe is used in Dynamix...

I had the same issue with DarkPhysics but on the odd occasion managed to get it onto HW mode...

Lets hope someone drops by now...

Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 06:07
Wait, no. I just tried the "force field" tornado example in physx sdk 2.8.4... Hardware gpu physics was working... Hopefully this gets figured out.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 13:02 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 13:20
Hi Inflictive Studios.

It does seem back to front that you need to start the physics before you can test for hardware, but hardware needs to be enabled on start! The PhysX SDK forces this, I presume you start->test->stop->start with hardware?

That aside. Hardware acceleration only works on cloth, soft bodies and particles. Each of these need the hardware flag to be set on creation, the scene also needs hardware to be set as well as the SDK as a whole(which is set with start(true)).

I hope this helps, I can't test it as I don't have NVIDIA hardware on any of my computers at the moment. Let me know how you get on.

EDIT: You may also need to set a hardware flag when creating the soft body/cloth mesh also.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 23:07:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 23:07:01