Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Programming Help -Urgent-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 08:11
i just recently got onto Dark Basic Classic, and am in need of urgent help.. where do i start? all i know how to do is make a white cube on the screen, thats it, how do i start, what do i code first? where to i make the sprites? where do i make the level? I want to make a side scroller and i dont know how to start, On the page where you buy Dark Basic Classic it says TheGameCreators have set up 100's on tutorial videos to get you started (Or something like that..) but where do i find them?

Thank you

Working why a new First Person game, Read some details about it here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206364&b=21
Thank you
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You draw all of your sprites in an art package like Photoshop or Gimp. You create 3d models in a modelling package like Blender, or Anim8or. You then load the graphics, and start programming the movements. A side scroller can be achieved by just moving the camera sideways. You then move the sprites around with the sprite commands.

Acheive260 Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 12:32
Is there a code to positioning the camera side ways? and how do i input a sprite to do its control commands?

Thank you
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Type in a command like sprite, or position camera, then put the cursor on it, and press F1. This gives you a menu of all of the commands, and how they work.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I am currently thinking of what tutorials I can do in AGK. Most AppGameKit stuff can be converted to DB with very little change to the code, just a few different commands for placing sprites etc.
So far I have tips for keeping up game speed, and how to do Isometic 3D depth quickly and easily. Any ideas of what to do next would be useful, I don't want anything too involved or complex, as I want the videos to be fairly short and to the point. They will also mainly be 2D as that is AGK's strong point, although I will probably do some basic 3D stuff as well.
Suggestions on tutorials would be welcome. Check out my iso thread in these forums or AGK's for an example.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Read through TDK's tutorials (stickied at the top or you can just click http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10 ). They are a really good starting point for beginners, and will walk you through the basics.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Acheive260 Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 17:36
Thank you i appreciate it, ive drawn my sprite on GIMP2, but what command do i type in to make my sprite show up on the screen?

Thank you
Acheive260 Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 18:06
To: BN 2 Productions

I.. just.. dont.. understand it!

Thank you
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Acheive260 Studios

Hello,

It can be a long road to get good at programming or to come to that "ah-ha, I get it" moment. In general, it's all sequential: one thing happens after the other.

Just talking about the sprite, for example:

You have to plan from the very beginning. Are you going to use transparency? Are you going to animate the sprite? How big is the screen and how big will the sprite be? etc. and etc.

Keeping it simple, we'll just say the sprite is 128x128 pixels - not too small, not too big. We'll say we want transparency - any black pixels will be see trough. To make sure our blacks are truly black, we should save the file in a lossless format. Jpeg - NO GOOD. BMP or PNG probably a safe bet. If the file is antialiased, then you are likely to have jaggies on the edges that are not pure black.

Once your image is saved, you have to load it into DarkBASIC. You do that with the LOAD IMAGE command.

The ",1" at the end tells DBC that you are loading the file into image number 1. We'll need that for reference to the sprite.

Once the image is loaded, you can turn it into a sprite. Use the SPRITE command. The basic code might look like:

That's the bare bones.

Enjoy your day.
Acheive260 Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 20:35
Thank you, ill try that in the morning

Thank you
Rick the Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2013 03:42
Try the DarkBASIc Classic Tutorials on the site itself. 3D Monster Hunt is an excellent tutorial to start with. It's a good first step on the journey of a thousand miles(of code :X)

There is also a selection to see the list of Commands in the Help tab at the top of the compiler.

TDK's tutorials are great, but the site tutorials tie all of the topics together in a very minimalistic way that makes it easy to learn and understand. I'd mess around with the site tutorials and THEN read over TDK's tutorials. I use his tutorials as a reference while coding projects of my own.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for ye!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:40:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:40:08