Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / limb funtions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I have some problem in using the limb functions.
I load a 3d warrior and a 3d sword in 8.1 .x file format
a) the " limb name$ " function return the correct names
b) the "limb offset x,y,z," function return 0 for any limb, I suppose it is wrong
c) if I use the " glue to limb " function the sword disappear

Can someone help me ?
Thanks in advance

Alberto
Clarks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 07:36
All limbs have x,y, and z, world positions just like objects do. When the objects position changes, all limbs changes as well. Look up in your DB help commands. Look in Basic3D for the limb command that return position values and make the sword position same as the limb you want it attached too.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 18:44
there is also a scale issue, i've done this kinda thing before and i find out that the linked limb has scaled down, i end up having to use scale limb/object to like 20000,20000,20000

Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for your support

I replaced the warrior's sword with a sphere to avoid the scale issue mentioned by Hexgear.
I suppose DBP should consider the center of the sphere in any case.
then :

SphereX# = limb position x (Warrior, RHand)
SphereY# = limb position y (Warrior, RHand)
SphereZ# = limb position z (Warrior, RHand)

position object sphere, SphereX#, SphereY#, SphereZ#

The sphere is close to the right hand even though it is definitly not in the correct position, I am sure that the limb index RHand is ok
but if I add the command

glue object to limb sphere,warrior,RHand

the sphere changes position, it is now far away from the right hand.
Why? the glue... comand should not change the sphere's coords, in my opinion.
And again why does the comand

RHandX# = limb offset x ( warrior, RHand )

alwayes return 0, (same for y and z )? as mentioned in my previous post.
I have purchased DBP only few days ago, so I am still confident I am doing something wrong but honestly I am concerned about the several bugs reported.
Are you using the limb functions on regular basis?

Alberto
Clarks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 03:54
in my opinion when it comes to limbs and their functions try to stay away from it unless its really needed. i feel as though that dbc are missing somthings at times.
Brandon Smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 18:07
I was having a problem where I was trying to have my camera follow a limb using those get limb positions.

The limb had animation, and this would work fine as long as I only printed out the coordinates to the screen. When I had the camera follow them however, the animation would stop early.
Other times, it would work when I set the camera angle to be 60 degrees or less, but more than that would cause problems.

I couldn't figure this out for the life of me, and was going to ask if anyone knew why this happens, since it's been driving me crazy. But now I guess it wasn't my fault, so I'll be happy with that and work around it.

Thanks,
Brandon
Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
So , as far I can see other people were having problems with limbs.
In the future I will stay away from it , as suggested by Clark, even though I must say limbs and vertex & pixel shader functions were the main reason why I switched to DBP.
I have been developing games for 4 years using direct x and C++ .
Honestly I am myself able to develop the basic functions of a 3d game engine .
In my opinion DBP have a great future.
Please go through the GameDev forum and see how many people are frustated due to the fact that they can not finish a game starting from the scratch.
Moreoverer DBP is definitly price valued even nowadays, but please fix these bugs as soon as possible otherwise you risk , in my opinion, to spoil the reputation of a (GREAT) software

P.S.

I still hope DBP is fine and I am doing something wrong

Alberto
Brandon Smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 19:25
I'm not giving up on the limb functions.
For my problem, which was getting a limb to animate and have a camera follow it, The limb seemed to only animate if it was on screen. I still don't know if that's the reason or not, but it would explain why following it only worked with certain camera angles.....
I know this isn't related to your problem, but maybe it will help somebody.

Good luck anyway, and I hope you can figure it out.
Brandon

Also as a note, I use DB Classic, not DB Pro, but I think the limb functions are similar at least, so it shouldn't matter.
Clarks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 02:40
Ok look at it this way. You dont have to give up on the limb functions. If you truely want to master the limb functions you have to know which ones to use and how to use them. As far as getting a camera to follow a limb and show it animating is not hard at all. You just have to know how to position the camera. And after the camera is positioned you have to point the camera to the limb you want it to point at. So if you have enough heart and determination go ahead and master the limbs functions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 12:03:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 12:03:55