Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Where Are My Frames?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2013 21:51
Being relatively new to object animation, I tried starting out with the most simple code I could think of:

But this returns "0" for the number of frames.
What am I missing? Do I have to save it out and reload it?
Just looking for basic movement!

D.D.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 01:02 Edited at: 6th Jul 2013 01:02
When we load an animated object, we can set object frame...that means that our object will start for example with idle position, or perhaps you prefer your object start runing, but we can not expect that our object made in Dbpro has more frames

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 02:00
I think you have a misunderstanding regarding the SET OBJECT FRAME command. It does not look at the limb positions and angles and store them like a keyframe. Instead, it tells it which frame (of the ones that were previously created in a modeling program) to set the object to.

So many games to code.....so little time.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 02:34
DarkBASIC Classic had a command set keyframe, but I have no idea if that still works in DBP.

TheComet

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 13:23
Quote: "DarkBASIC Classic had a command set keyframe, but I have no idea if that still works in DBP."

SET KEYFRAME in Dbpro does not work. We could do a function to animate our models but would be a little botched

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 19:45
Ahh, yes... I misunderstood the command, and SET OBJECT KEYFRAME *would have* been what I wanted.

So I take it that DBPro requires a plugin or outside editor for creating/saving animation poses. I s'pose it would be just as easy to come up with my own system for storing/executing animations.

D.D.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 22:24 Edited at: 6th Jul 2013 22:25
A good animation program for starters is CharacterFX (now freeware). It takes a while to get into, but it supports weighted skeletal animation, which is a nice feature since DX8.

If you want to break your head over custom animation functions, you'll need to learn about euler angles and interpolation. It's possible, but will cause you a lot of headaches, so only do this if your aim is to learn more about this subject. It isn't efficient to code animations this high up (DBP is very inefficient when it comes to modifying vertexdata).

An even better approach would be to use quaternions for your rotations, because you can very easily create a complex hierarchy of nodes and child nodes.

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:36:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:36:00