Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Documentation showing how to implement all features of dark dynamix ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Is documentation and working code examples available for the following
features of dark dynamix ?

Quote: "

Rigid Body Dynamics - Whether it be a stack of crates or a football, one simple command can bring an object to life.
Character Controller - It's never been easier to get your character interacting with the environment, automatic sliding collision, stair stepping and slope limits. Change the size on the fly and set up jumping, crouching and strafing with hardly any effort.
Height Fields - Fast and light collision for your terrains.
Triangle Mesh - Set up complex static objects or level geometry and be amazed at how little it affects the FPS(frames per second) your game can run at.
Convex Mesh - Dynamic convex objects can be easily simulated, such as barrels or cylinders. You can also get dynamic interactions from more complex objects by wrapping a 'best-fit' convex mesh around it.
Raycasting - Lots of raycasting options, super fast rays that detect a single hit, or detailed rays that hit multiple objects returning lots of details such as hit normal or global position etc.
Contact Reports - Keep track of what objects are colliding, acting on any contacts you see fit.
Collision Groups - Seperate your objects into groups to speed up collision/physics or to stop objects colliding for gameplay reasons.
Continuous Collision Detection - Set up small fast moving objects with CCD to be sure all hits/collisions register with the simulation, very useful for bullets etc.
Triggers - Place trigger zones in your game to set off events.
Overlap Tests - Quickly check any area of your game world for a collision, good for checking overhead before allowing your character to jump or stand up.
Materials - Give your objects different properties to simulate different materials such as metal, rubber, wood etc
Joints - Create any joint imaginable to simulate things like door hinges, ropes, pistons, elevators etc the list is endless.
Ragdolls - Bring your characters to life as they die, your characters will never die the same way twice whether that be falling down stairs, off balconies or falling limp to their knees before smashing their face on the floor, gruesome I know, but it all adds to the fun.
Vehicles - Simulate any vehicle you can imagine, from a unicycle to an articulated lorry or perhaps an aeroplane. It all becomes so simple with the wheel shape, have your cars doing hand brake turns around corners or jumping over ramps, it's never been easier.
Fluids / Particles - A particle system which will also react to your game environment, simulate rain, snow, smoke, water, slime etc.
Force Fields - Simulate gravity, explosions, tornados, water bouyancy etc
Cloth - Simulate cloth and add forces to simulate wind or let the cloth tear under stresses and strains.
Soft Body Dynamics - Get your game objects squishing and squashing. Simulate inflated tyres, squashy bugs, trees that bend and sway in the wind.
Hardware Acceleration - Add more of the cool features listed above if hardware is detected. More cloth tearing, more particles or more realistic water simulation, all without slowing down your framerate.
"

I did check the help file but was unable to find details description on how to implement all of those features with working code examples.

How am I supposed to implement those listed features in my game if I am only provided with function reference ?

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the help file attached along with this message that I am referring to.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
49 views but still no answer on this issue
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
I expected a response atleast from Matty H. the creator of Dark Dynamix and unfortunately he too is silent on this issue.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 14:57 Edited at: 11th Jul 2013 14:58
Saving you from a Quintuple posting...

Did you ever bother reading through the list of functions?

I can suggest you looked at CONSTRUCTION first and went from there...

I could also suggest that if you had access to Dark Physics, that you had a play with that first before venturing into DDYN, it helps somewhat

EDIT

Also, where did you get that list?

Rigid Body Dynamics - Whether it be a stack of crates or a football, one simple command can bring an object to life.
Character Controller - It's never been easier to get your character interacting with the environment, automatic sliding collision, stair stepping and slope limits. Change the size on the fly and set up jumping, crouching and strafing with hardly any effort.
Height Fields - Fast and light collision for your terrains.
Triangle Mesh - Set up complex static objects or level geometry and be amazed at how little it affects the FPS(frames per second) your game can run at.
Convex Mesh - Dynamic convex objects can be easily simulated, such as barrels or cylinders. You can also get dynamic interactions from more complex objects by wrapping a 'best-fit' convex mesh around it.
Raycasting - Lots of raycasting options, super fast rays that detect a single hit, or detailed rays that hit multiple objects returning lots of details such as hit normal or global position etc.
Contact Reports - Keep track of what objects are colliding, acting on any contacts you see fit.
Collision Groups - Seperate your objects into groups to speed up collision/physics or to stop objects colliding for gameplay reasons.
Continuous Collision Detection - Set up small fast moving objects with CCD to be sure all hits/collisions register with the simulation, very useful for bullets etc.
Triggers - Place trigger zones in your game to set off events.
Overlap Tests - Quickly check any area of your game world for a collision, good for checking overhead before allowing your character to jump or stand up.
Materials - Give your objects different properties to simulate different materials such as metal, rubber, wood etc
Joints - Create any joint imaginable to simulate things like door hinges, ropes, pistons, elevators etc the list is endless.
Ragdolls - Bring your characters to life as they die, your characters will never die the same way twice whether that be falling down stairs, off balconies or falling limp to their knees before smashing their face on the floor, gruesome I know, but it all adds to the fun.
Vehicles - Simulate any vehicle you can imagine, from a unicycle to an articulated lorry or perhaps an aeroplane. It all becomes so simple with the wheel shape, have your cars doing hand brake turns around corners or jumping over ramps, it's never been easier.
Fluids / Particles - A particle system which will also react to your game environment, simulate rain, snow, smoke, water, slime etc.
Cloth - Simulate cloth and add forces to simulate wind or let the cloth tear under stresses and strains.
Soft Body Dynamics - Get your game objects squishing and squashing. Simulate inflated tyres, squashy bugs, trees that bend and sway in the wind.
Hardware Acceleration - Add more of the cool features listed above if hardware is detected. More cloth tearing, more particles or more realistic water simulation, all without slowing down your framerate.
"
"

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Mr. Valentine,

Yes I did have a look at the function reference and since you are an owner of Dark Dynamix can you please confirm if the latest documentation for version 1.2 holds more information ?

Secondly what example code - covering which features is available in the package that I can go through after purchase ?

Do I get example code for all the features mentioned at

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2318

or are there any left outs ?

Thanks,
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 00:40
Oh, thought you already owned it, umm bit of an awkward situation, fill me in on what you have, as confused why you have the help file ... Do you have the sample files too?

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought the Dark Game Studio bonanza pack a while ago.

I was hoping to buy dark dynamix but is a bit skeptic since it lacks the amount documentation - working examples available in Dark Physics.

The help file for Dark Dynamix was posted by Matty H. either here -

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187776&b=8

or somewhere else in the forum.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 02:04
So you want to see the example files?

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
No. Just name the example file names and the feature sets they are demonstrating. It will give me some hope that I will be able to understand how to implement a certain feature by going through the
example code.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 11:24
Hi Juggernaut, sorry I missed this post, I try to check in here every couple of days or so.

Dark Dynamix includes around 12-15 examples in both basic and C++. I will get a list up later, it's all on my other computer.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Matty H,

Thank you for dropping by. I will wait for the list from you.

As far as the text documentation available in chm format, does the latest version 1.2 contain everything covering all the features as
found in Dark Physics chm doc ?

Juggernaut
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 13:24
Examples:

Boned Ragdoll
CCD
Character Controller
Cloth
Contacts
Fluids
Fluids-Particles
Force Field
Groups
Height Fields
Joints
Meshes
Ragdoll
Raycast
Soft Body
Triggers
Vehicle
Vehicles Advanced

Examples are not part of the chm help file, they are source code with extensive comments.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 15:41 Edited at: 17th Jul 2013 15:44
I was hoping for examples on -

Materials - Give your objects different properties to simulate different materials such as metal, rubber, wood etc. What effect
does this have on game objects ? Does it change the color or change
the way the object behaves under physics laws ?

On another note - Height Fields - Fast and light collision for your terrains. Does it work for terrains that is getting rendered by Blitzwerks Terrain ? Or are we limited to Dark Basic pro limited terrain feature ?

Does the Fluids-Particles simulation work at a constant FPS rate or
do the FPS drop gradually as in dark physics examples ?

What is the minimum hardware requirement Processor and Graphics card
for all the features of Dark Dynamix to work smoothly ?
Will it work on Pentium II and pentium III pcs ?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 16:06 Edited at: 17th Jul 2013 16:07
Quote: "Will it work on Pentium II and pentium III pcs ? "

No but seriously, that was a trip down memory lane for me, I do however have two Pentium 4 systems with HT on both of them, I can test on one of them if you wanted... but PII and PIII wow I miss those, is the PII a SLOT 1 with the huge side fins? I will buy it off you!!! especially if it is the 350MHZ version!!!

But I would not expect much performance though... If your question was more, will the underlying technology [PHYSX] run on them, then yeah it should, but I cannot test for you... Matty... you got an answer?

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
MrValentine: Thank you for your view. Well, I was not trying to pull anybody's leg with that question. But was trying to get an idea about the lowest possible hardware configuration that Dark Dynamix will run on.

I will also expect answers for the other questions I have posted from Matty H.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 17:38
Dynamix Lite

Try the free version, you can test it out and have a good look at the examples.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr. Valentine:
Quote: "Also, where did you get that list?"

Please check here http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2318

The list is displayed officially.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 18:17
Thanks, not been around the store for some time now as I have almost everything for DBP on it lol

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Dynamix Lite

Try the free version, you can test it out and have a good look at the examples."

Matty H. : The lite version does not have those feature set enabled that I am querying about, they are stated in the official store listing -

Materials - Give your objects different properties to simulate different materials such as metal, rubber, wood etc. What effect

Force Fields - Simulate gravity, explosions, tornados, water bouyancy etc.

On another note - Height Fields - Fast and light collision for your terrains. Does it work for terrains that is getting rendered by Blitzwerks Terrain ? Or are we limited to Dark Basic pro limited terrain feature ?

do the FPS drop gradually as in dark physics examples ? Please confirm.

So if you could confirm the above things that each of the above things can be really accomplished by the command sets available in
Dark Dynamix.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 19:40
Juggernaut - I believe it was mentioned before, I have BT and DDYN, so maybe I can text? if you send me sample BT code to modify the terrain dynamically, I will look at creating a DDYN sphere and launch it onto the terrain again and again to see if the collisions are updated... I presume I just update the Physics mesh when the terrain is adjusted...

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr. Valentine: Thank you for dropping by. It is the following that I am interested at right now since these are attractive features which are not available in Dark Physics , but I may be wrong.

Soft Body Dynamics - Get your game objects squishing and squashing. Simulate inflated tyres, squashy bugs, trees that bend and sway in the wind. All possible by using DDYN commands ?

Force Fields - Simulate gravity, explosions, tornados, water bouyancy etc. Explosions, tornados possible through DDYN commands ?

do the FPS drop gradually as in dark physics examples ? Please confirm.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 23:53
Regarding the colour, No, regarding everything else, don't you have Dark Physics?

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Regarding the colour, No, regarding everything else, don't you have Dark Physics?"

If the rest is available in Dark Physics, why did you buy Dark Dynamix
?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 01:03
Now you are asking the right questions Dark Dynamix uses an updated base version of PHYSX, and also it is a wrapper, meaning the end user does not require installing the PHYSX software in order to run the game, meaning one less issue for end users and a head free for the developer, however if the end user has the software installed, they can gain the hardware acceleration, where capable, provided they have a CUDA based GPU...

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now you are asking the right questions Dark Dynamix uses an updated base version of PHYSX, and also it is a wrapper, meaning the end user does not require installing the PHYSX software in order to run the game, meaning one less issue for end users and a head free for the developer, however if the end user has the software installed, they can gain the hardware acceleration, where capable, provided they have a CUDA based GPU..."

Ah ... I am a bit disheartened. I thought DDYN is much richer feature wise - I am talking about feature sets that is available from the
command sets. It seems that is not the case. Maybe Matty H. can tell
us more if he wishes too.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 01:44
He should but I could put it bluntly, Dark Physics has its issues, and also it is dead in development as far as I am aware, DDYN is somewhat in active development as far as I am aware, but I am yet to make any use of it... not had the time, bought it for the sole reason I would use it so that end users would not require installing PHYSX as some find it a difficult prospect... but Matty please back this up,

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 14:22
Quote: "Materials - Give your objects different properties to simulate different materials such as metal, rubber, wood etc. What effect
the way the object behaves under physics laws ?"

Materials allow you to set friction and bounciness, allowing different properties for otherwise similar actors.

Quote: "Soft Body Dynamics - Get your game objects squishing and squashing. Simulate inflated tyres, squashy bugs, trees that bend and sway in the wind."

You can do all this, you use the PhysX viewer to create your soft body meshes. I believe Dark Physics is limited in this respect and does not allow textured objects.

Quote: "Force Fields - Simulate gravity, explosions, tornados, water bouyancy etc. "

Yes, you can do all this.

Quote: "On another note - Height Fields - Fast and light collision for your terrains. Does it work for terrains that is getting rendered by Blitzwerks Terrain ? Or are we limited to Dark Basic pro limited terrain feature ?"

Heightfields don't need an object so you can create them from anything, such as getting height data from Blitzwerks Terrain.

Quote: "Does the Fluids-Particles simulation work at a constant FPS rate or
do the FPS drop gradually as in dark physics examples ? Please confirm."

It works at a constant FPS, sounds like a memory leak or something, in either your code or Dark Physics.

I believe Dynamix has superior vehicles and character controllers as well as soft bodies. It is also more up to date so system software is no longer an issue.

Hope that helps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:49:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:49:41