Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Prisoner - Retro inspired FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 19:17 Edited at: 10th Jul 2013 19:34
As someone who tends to stop and start projects, I decided it would be a great learning experience to come up with a simple concept and see it through.

The game is Prisoner, and it's an FPS styled after retro titles like Wolfenstein 3D.

I've been slowly working away on it since the start of the year. My design diary can be found here:
http://nalacreations.blogspot.co.uk/

I've recently released an alpha test of the game, which you can download from IndieDB:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/prisoner/downloads/prisoner-alpha-test

I'm addressing bugs as they're reported, with the latest patch available from my server:
http://www.nalacreations.com/prisoner.rar

I intend to sell the game through Desura once complete. I'm aiming for a price point of around £1, with the finished game due to feature around 30 levels and a splitscreen co-operative mode.

Prisoner is being written in DBP which is an absolutely fantastic language to work with. I am also thinking about porting the game to mobile devices using AGK.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 02:47
Noo, why isn't your blog tumblr?

I remember seeing this on another board, but there you said you were writing it in DBC?

Anyway, I'll give this a shot!

TheComet

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 12:52
I'm touched that you remembered this project. Awesome!

I did start the project in DBC, but found that a project of this nature (lots of objects on screen, splitscreen multiplayer) would be better realised in DBP.

I'm not sure if it's nostalgia, simplicity or something else entirely, but I do favour DBC. And I would love to create a full blown single player game with that language, but the barrier I've always come up against is the lack of simple lightmapping support.

Maybe after this project I will attempt to work with the light commands of DBC once again...

Anyway, great to hear from you, and thanks for trying this out! I hope you enjoy it.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 04:45
I remember this. I've probably still got the original demo. It's good that you're still working on it.

I agree there was something about DBC that seemed a little more simple or just more agreeable. You kind of get used to DBPro, after awhile. I think the secret is getting the hang of project files.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 23:50
It means a lot to me that people remember my work. Thanks!

It is funny how different DBP feels to DBC, at least initially. Thinking about both languages still tempts me to continue with my DBC build of Prisoner.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 03:43
Quote: "It is funny how different DBP feels to DBC, at least initially. Thinking about both languages still tempts me to continue with my DBC build of Prisoner."

That is until you discover the wonders of DBP's plugin system, shaders, skeletal animation, real-time vertexdata editing, texture blending, and multiple cameras.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 14:06 Edited at: 18th Jul 2013 14:07
Too true. It's that sort of laundry list of extra features that keeps pushing me to work more with DBP. The idea of working towards a more modern standard FPS game is extremely exciting!

It's crazy what can be accomplished with such an affordable programming language. Even the many FPSC media packs I've purchased work out hundreds cheaper than most other asset packs I've seen. TGC should be commended for what they offer. I'd be lost without them (not to mention the extremely generous community that has sprung up around them)!
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 02:31 Edited at: 31st Jul 2013 03:08
This reminds me a lot of my own project from back in the day, which was a remake of Doom and Wolfenstien. Glad to see more fans recreating those classics. I gotta give this game a whirl.

(Edit)
Smooth game, you got the Wolfenstien feel down. I now you will, but adding some unique landmarks would make the level look better and I think the enemies react to you way too quickly. Also, the doors should open manually instead of just popping open. Other than that keep it coming man this could be a cool game.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 23:43
Thanks for the feedback. I keep going back and forth on manually opening the doors. We'll see!

I really appreciate the kind words. Thank you.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2013 22:41 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2013 22:42
Just a quick update to say that I'm still working on this. I'm slowly updating the artwork when time allows (my 40 hour per week day job keeps me well away from a computer, which sucks).

The number of weapons and enemies has been increased, and I'm hoping to release a beta demo in about a month.

Atached is an updated screenshot of the game, with more available on my IndieDB poroject page :

http://www.indiedb.com/games/prisoner

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you "cheat", and use 3d plains to render the levels, or have you actually written a raycasting / floor handling engine that runs this fast in DB?
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 23:26
I'm using plain objects as I'd like to build upon the engine for future projects.

I did originally experiment with a raycasting engine (with a lot of that work going in to my weapon routines), but decided a 3D engine would be more beneficial to the end user.
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
aww...

I'm going to be honest i've got a nerdy boner to this just because of the thought that it all onscreen may be done completely on your own. Quite possibly because i'm onto creating my own renderer system right now, so everything that might fall into the same category is highly interesting for me at the moment

But still, i've tried out your demo, and really liked it. Too bad nothing indicated the switch is going to be the end of the level, when i first saw the blue keycard next to a blue door, i immediately ran back to the first blue door i saw to try and see what's hidden there first, and baaam, game finished!

I think you've settled with just the right graphics style, don't really mess with that one or you may risk losing a fan here
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 01:42 Edited at: 27th Sep 2013 01:43
Slightly off topic but I was just having a quick look at your blog and noticed you've done a review of Power Up. I backed this project on Kickstarter so it's good that you recommend it. I haven't played it yet, as I don't have an Xbox but am patiently waiting for the PC version.

Anyway, glad you're still working on your game and I agree with the others that you should keep the art style and not be tempted down the road of "a more modern standard FPS game".

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2013 09:52
Thank you both for the kind words. It took me a while to develop the visual style of the game, so I appreciate your feedback there.

Off topic : PowerUp is a testament to one man games development, and well worth a play. The PC version is said to be the focus of attention this next week, so there should be more news on it real soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:20:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:20:43