Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Flow Motion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 14:48 Edited at: 13th Sep 2013 17:54
Flow Motion is a fast-paced 2D action platformer developed in DBPro. Almost 8 months after I initially started the project it finally reached a state where a release seems reasonable, so here we go!

To those of you who haven't heard of the game yet (there was a WIP thread), it could be compared to games like N+. You have to reach the end of each level in as little time as possible, while avoiding certain hazards that would otherwise kill you.

Furthermore there's the Survival mode where your goal is - obviously - to survive as long as possible, while being chased by homing missiles.

You can navigate freely through the levels using basic running and jumping abilities as well as a rope, grenades, wall climbing and more.

There's also an ingame editor that allows you to modify or build your own levels.

For more information check out the Website (which is not yet finished, but it's a start I guess).

**DOWNLOAD (V.1.02, 22MB)**

Thanks for your interest, I hope you enjoy the game.
In case you encounter bugs, have questions or simply an opinion on the game, feel free to post in this thread or alternatively send me an email to contact@shellfishgames.com

- Shellfish Games

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2013 01:54 Edited at: 13th Jul 2013 01:57
I liked the trailer, the game looks polished. You are very talented!

[edit] You probably already know this, but this is another candidate to port to smart phones and tablets. I would buy this if it was on the app store!

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 02:00
Nicely done.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 21:08
Good job

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 22:58 Edited at: 10th Aug 2013 23:03
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I added the game to IndieDB last week. Also I updated the game (download still on the Website ), it now allows being launched in window mode and the game's speed doesn't depend on the FPS anymore. Furthermore I made a few changes to the first few levels to (hopefully) improve the game's accessibility for new players.

Quote: "You probably already know this, but this is another candidate to port to smart phones and tablets. I would buy this if it was on the app store!"

While it certainly looks as if that was a good idea, I really doubt the comparably complex controls would work on a smart phone. It's about precise and efficient movement after all, and in that case it seems to require keyboard/mouse or some kind of controller. However - I'm planning to port my other game, 360, to smart phones sooner or later, so if it works out well, and if I find a way to apply the controls of Flow Motion to smart phones, I will certainly consider that option.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Would recommend using AppGameKit for a port as the language is so similar to dbpro (although the commands have been changed a bit for consistency). As a dbpro developer there was no learning curve for using agk, but I had to keep a command list open for reference. Nice game btw, very professional and it reminds me greatly of super meat boy.

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Satchmo. I already ordered AppGameKit after playing around with the demo version for a while. The only problem I see is that all those 3rd party plugins for DBP won't work with AGK. I'm using d3d func for anti-aliased text and AdvancedSprites for AA sprites as far as I remember, so I'll see how that turns out in AGK.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 23:33 Edited at: 19th Aug 2013 23:34
Congratulations on getting this finished.

I've just downloaded it but not had a chance to play. I'm guessing it's pretty similar to the wip demo.

I like the idea of a touch screen version but I can see that the controls would be a little tricky, especially the grapple line. However, if this does well then you could use the Flow Motion "brand" for a tablet game. Stick with the same aesthetic, as it's pretty strong, but make a game more suitable for a touch screen.

Anyway, congratulations.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 12:56
I've had a bit more of a play of this:

As I said on your WIP, the art style and music is very good.

I like the way the game doesn't start until there's some player interaction.

The homing missiles are really cool and the way you can grab them with the grapple line is a very good touch.

The game is a very unforgiving which makes it little frustrating. It could've done with a couple of easy levels to start off with.

I really like this game and, once again, congratulations on getting it finished.

Oh, I also left a review on IndieDB.

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you.

Quote: "The game is a very unforgiving which makes it little frustrating. It could've done with a couple of easy levels to start off with."

True... I already changed the first few levels a bit to make them easier, but I just realize I didn't update the link from the first post (changed now). But the changes were rather subtle anyway, nothing substantial, I just changed the architecture slightly in a few places and worked on the hints to explain the mechanics (especially the wall climbing, since it's seemingly not as intuitive as I thought) a little better.
I don't really know how to improve it further, and if adding a few more simple levels would really help, or just stretch the experience.

Also thanks for your indieDB review and rating, it's highly appreciated.

Hyp3rSnip3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 15:36
Wow this game has some fantastic gameplay features! Brilliant work! =D

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 22:28
Quote: "I don't really know how to improve it further"

I think you're into the laws of diminishing returns. There are a few little things that I would change but nothing substantial and nothing that would definitely make the game better.

What you've done is a really good effort and I think the best thing to do is not worry about it and move on to another game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:23:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:23:08