Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / NOT a programmer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hey guys. yup, im not a programmer. I know a few simple languages to enable my graphics (actionscript, lingo, etc) but I am primarily a 3d guy, so id rather not take all the time to know code as well as u. I saw some threads on the dbpro forum on guys figuring out how to import from lightwave, but other than that this looks like software for programmers who are ignorant to moderate in 3d, not the reverse like me. am i wrong? saw it in the store, got the demo and im checking it out, but at first i was excited cause i thought this was software to basically tackle the code side and let me just make pretty things that move awesome. basically i make stuff for video but want to break into games. figured something of this sort would let me go solo for a bit to get exposure. anyone know how i can do that with dbp? or can u please suggest some other program that is mabye more up my ally? thanks all.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 11:58
If you know lingo then its not exactly hard to alter those concepts to game creation.

As in any interactive document you need to lay out what exactly you want to do, however since you have some 3d knowledge under your belt its in fact to your advantage that you have something over the coders who cant do 3d.

With any interactive application there is media and code.

Darkbasic is heavily oriented around a basic syntax but with DirectX features in mind. You should explore the Direct X format and its nuiances for exporting your 3d models to the environment.

Adding interactivity is fairly straight foward once you have some basics down like in any language. The good thing about DB is that once you have the basics your not limited to a series of commands that you may outgrow rapidly like with some other languages and builders that try to make it a breeze to put something together, unfortunately everything comes out similar and unoriginal when its all done for you in that regard.

It only takes a few commands to get a model working but a lot of effort to make a model animated if your not a modeller.

load model
play model
loop model

etc.. isnt hard to spend some time with until you see how they interact with each other.

now if you want interactivity its a breeze to add

if inkey$()="a" then perform action
or
if scancode(num) =1 then perform action

in the simplest of usage terms

I would spend the time making some model content and then try to implement a model with animation into DB. Most of the problems can be solved with a simple question if you show your problem to us in the forums. You will get a lot further than imagined if you give it a whirl and theres no harm in asking for help if something isnt working the way you would expect it.

remember just ask and have fun, theres a lot to explore at first but its very rewarding when you start to get it all up n running.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 19:54
Why do you have this exact post in 2 forums (so far)?

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:50:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:50:07