Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What is the status of GDK 2.0?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, does anyone know? I stopped using GDK all together when Mistral took the $60 I paid for the rc4 version and ended his involvement with TGC..... What's up with that?

The fastest code is the code never written.
RichBurb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 17:31
I guess I should have investigated DarkGDK 2 a bit more before buying it yesterday. Is this a dead project? That would be disappointing.

P.S. Now I am nervous about my little investment in AppGameKit 2 kickstart too.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2013 13:06
Quote: "Now I am nervous about my little investment in AppGameKit 2 kickstart too."

That is an official TGC product, chances are it will happen, assuming they reached their goal at least.
But yeah, paying for kickstarters is always a bit risky I suppose.

@Hawkblood at least you can use your RC version. I kind of doubt you'll even get it if you purchase it these days :/

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 28th Jul 2013 20:39
Regarding GDK2 I am surprised nothing has been done about preventing users here from being stuck with no delivery, it is not exactly cheap... my suggestion would be to ask your card company or whatever method was used to pay to claim your money back... my view on this is that it can be seen as fraud, the question is what happened to the developer...

I have GDK 1 and GDK.NET, hopefully I will use them one day...

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 17:33 Edited at: 30th Jul 2013 17:33
It's really a shame that DarkGDK dies like that! It was really a great entry point to C++ and stepping up from Basic. At least the source code of the pre-2.0 version is available...

I wonder if there is some strong interest in a successor to DarkGDK. Is this board still visited by many users?

RichBurb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 18:49
Does anyone from TGC participate in the DarkGDK forums?

Our high school adopted "Games & Graphics in C++" by Tony Gaddis a few years ago for our introduction to C++ course. That text used the Dark GDK extensively. It would be great to move on to using Dark GDK 2 which is much more "C++ typical" in its usage, but I would need to be assured a final release version was on the horizon.

Is there any news on the developer that disappeared? I wasn't able to quickly locate any.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 02:13
Quote: "Is there any news on the developer that disappeared? I wasn't able to quickly locate any."

Don't think so, the PureGDK section (which later were to become GDK 2) has been pretty dead for about a year as well.

However...
Looking at footer of the official home page of the project it has had it's copyright year updated to 2013, although Mistrel haven't been heard from since well back in 2012. So that would hint that he's still out there, but that could of course be wrong.

Anyway, the concept of DarkGDK 2 is really quite simple and I believe it wouldn't be very much work to just rewriting it from scratch if somebody felt up to that. However, there might then be copyright infringements, but I'm not sure how that works with what can only be assumed to be abandonware.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel a stab in the back too about Dark GDK 2.0, I could have invested the money on something else. Dark GDK 2.0 RC4 has got
bugs and TGC is just silent on the whole issue. If they have allowed
their forum and website to be used by Mistrel for his products, they
should track him down and get the thing finished.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 17:13 Edited at: 7th Aug 2013 17:15
they cant do much about mistral I think. He can just log in as a different user so the money that I spent on this product is a waste also. I guess I should of been smarter. Because, it seems he did not have the knowledge to get agk 2.0 off the ground. dark gdk is not dead it is just not used by many sence agk came out.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 10:08 Edited at: 8th Aug 2013 10:12
TGC should come up with a mechanism to ensure such frauds as abandonment of projects and promised deliverable do not take place again after getting advertised and funded through the official TGC
forum.

The most horrible part of the story about Dark GDK 2.0 is that TGC
officials is letting those Mistrel thread lying here and there and
few poor souls are buying and paying for the unfinished product
without even knowing that there is no of getting the product finished.
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 21:51
Looks like we have been screwed, took a chance on beta projects. SHOULD of known better. The game creators should take down the links to Dark GDK 2.0, or at least show some signs that the project is alive. We all have other jobs, just a note from the producers would be nice.

AGK 1 is done? Wow, starting AppGameKit 2, interesting.

Figure I will just go back to DGK 1, I purchased it to.... I know its bugs at least.

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:39:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:39:08