Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Shader Issues with AMD GPUs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a general question concerning the use of shaders while running an AMD graphics card in the computer you're building your game with. Does anyone know if there is a way to get shaders that are compatible with the AMD cards? Or am I going to have to buy an Nvidia card in order to get the shaders exactly how I want them? As always, any kind of answer is greatly appreciated, as I'm sure someone can benefit from this besides me!

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 14:54 Edited at: 30th Jul 2013 14:55
Hey there,

well, that's pretty much a problem, because if there aren't any similar functions to those used to calculate the output of the shader you have problems with, no one would be able to help you.

Nvidia features a wider range of shader functions, but even with my GTX 680 I cannot see the reflection in the Metro Theater water puddle, only the light that it uses to illuminate the object. With the HD 6870M (which by the way is a really slow GPU ) in my iMac, I can. Also old Nvidias don't have problems with that.

If the shader is essential for the whole game, I would advise users to get an Nvidia for a better experience.

Greetings,
Jan

Canalyst developer! Skype name: thek491
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, that's exactly the answer I needed.

I have one more question: Is there a compiled list of compatible GPUs floating around the interwebs, or am I just going to have to guess which one to buy?

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 23:34
Hey there,

there are no lists available, especially when it comes to special shader functions. They don't have to work on every GPU, but the chance is high when choosing a graphics card that works with up to the same shader model as the shader needs to function.

For FPSC a graphics card with pixel- and vertex-shader model 3.0 is completely OK. Sometimes they just don't have the raw GPU power to render everything at good framerates, but if you'd take a Radeon X1950 Pro or a GeForce 7950 GT, it should be enough to render FPSC in a decent resolution at decent frame rates. I don't guarantee, though.

Greetings,
Jan

Canalyst developer! Skype name: thek491
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
It just sucks I guess because I paid $200 for my current GPU, and it can't even run my game with the shaders I would like to have. But oh well, I'll have to figure something out. Thanks anyway mate!

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
This is very odd as I have amd and geforce and never had a problem with shaders as AMD and Geforce both support ps2,0 shaders what is used most in fpsc.

@TheK : I had one of these cards and never had a shader issue with the 670.

I'm using a amd 6770 for testing at the moment and all shaders work fine with this and other amd's Ive tested.

I find that most the time if people have shader problems then shaders are not activated in the software.

When fpsc is installed or updated it default is with the shaders off so go into pref and switch them on if they are off.

Another thing is you could be using an old version of direct x9 or an update not working for you.

I had this problem with a geforce that an update direct x9 stop my shaders from working I tend to stick with the june version.

hope this helps best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tested with an old GeForce card that I have, and there are no issues when using that. I have tried reinstalling Directx 9 and turned on shader effects, but to no avail. My card just must not work with these shaders

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:05:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:05:00