Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Question about Character models and limbs

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 09:02 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2013 09:31
Question about Character models and limbs and such:

I've been creating a ton of characters and I'm wondering how I should best set up my models for FPSC. Am I suppose to be naming the various bones for limb hit detection? How do we set up limbs for detection. Or ragdoll?

Also most importantly, I'd like my character to be able to hold stock weapons and rundecals, how would I make this positioned to where my characters hands are?

I noticed the Limb Finder tool displays numbers back to me but I dont know what to do with them.

In a few FPE files I've noticed the following so I'm assuming after i run the limb finder and find the numbers that relate to each limb i just plug them in to the FPE? Will this help with where the gun will appear?

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 11:28
Everything you asked depends, what do you use to rig and animate with? 3ds max,milk shape,so on.

limbs do not have to be named in any way to work in fpsc,If you have a gun spec in your bone set up this is where the gun positions its self. Use the default fpsc rig for 3ds max and there is also milk shape rigs out there already set up,just search for them.

I re name my limbs sometimes and everything works fine, all you need to do is rig your body to the bones,export to a .x file,then import into fpsc, its that easy.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 13:28 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 07:07
3d studio max, where can i get the FPSC rig? and am I allowed to submit a character to the TGC store that uses an FPSC rig setup?

The current model I'm working on will be done soon once I finish the legs, feet, hands and head. Textures will come much later as I just need a male and female base character set first before i get into that.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 16:59
I believe you can use the rig they give to sell the models, it's in the files sections on the FPSC web site. Can anyone officially verify that?

Any screen shots of your work?
Chris Bamber
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 22:03 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2013 22:10
You can find the files required to graft stock animations on your own characters about half way down the page on the link below...

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2001&page=Files

There is no problem selling characters in the store that use the stock animations as long as the characters themselves are all your own work.

EDIT : If you copy the FPE file from an existing stock character and change the bits that relate to your asset, such as texture and model, etc. This will then ensure that all the animation and limb data is setup correctly. The gun the character wields can then be set in the FPE file itself.

This is also a good way to learn. Rather than trying to write everything from nothing and becoming frustrated when it fails to do what it should, by taking something that is already known to work and tweaking/improving it until it breaks you can find out where things are going wrong.

TGC Store Artist Tag : Kasseyus

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 08:32
Thanks guys - so what is it that makes a gun appear in the right hand of a character? I've set up the FPE data all properly (includes weapons and what not) but in FPSC you see a character shooting from the floor basically (from under the character's feet)

Chris Bamber
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 10:06 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 10:09
There should be a small, 2 polygon object located within the BIP file called 'FIRESPOT'.

You need to make sure the check box that loads in MAX Objects is turned on otherwise it will not import.

This object is 'glued' to the hand of the character using a parent and child link. Its position and orientation is given directly to the gun model.... so you can move it to the characters left hand, rotate it or even put it in his/it's mouth or chest, etc.

TGC Store Artist Tag : Kasseyus

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 11:17 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 13:46
Oh wow finally figured out how to important the FPSC character biped with animations and I've located the limb "FIRESPOT". Its tiny as hell; thanks Chris I wouldn't have found it without the name of it. Odd how its on the left hand I'd assume most people are right ended (I'm not).

I may actually use most of these animations so that basic scripts can work with my models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5z31fnurQA&feature=youtu.be

Much thanks Chris! Been loads of help lately

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:53:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:53:07