Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Fist Assignment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 13:06
Well I'm currently attending Argosy University for game development and DarkBASIC Professional was the engine I chose to go with. We've been learning it now for about 2 weeks and I finally got my first assignment!

The assignment is to create a 2D scrolling shooter type game with random appearing enemies and power-ups.

I was thinking of making a game where you are a plane and the object is to shoot balloons that appear randomly at the top of the screen. You will have the ability to shoot regular bullets or missiles. Some of the balloons will be power-ups. Some of the power-ups will include: Ammo (for both rockets and regular bullets), weapon upgrade, and nukes (to destroy all the balloons currently on the screen.

Anyways this will be my first game created with DarkBASIC (besides tutorials) so I hope it comes out decent lol.

-- New to DBP and learning something new everyday! --
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2013 15:35
I had to...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Aug 2013 16:04
OBese87 -

TheKid - Just wish to come in here and caution you on the 2D Plugin Kit, I have not the slightest idea why but it has not been pulled from the store... just avoid it if you are using anything other than XP... I could be wrong however and would love for anybody to correct me and tell me that it works on Vista/7/8... [Just tested on 8 and the demo still crashes...]

Just saying in case you got any ideas in getting it...

Otherwise I still suck at 2D so good luck! a lot of impressive 2D devs on here, and maybe take a look at AppGameKit? you can get AppGameKit 1 and 2 for next to nothing through the Kickstarter right now too!

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2013 05:08
OBese87, that is hilarious. I doesn't seem to match up too well with guns in his hands though

TheKid:
So, what are the enemies? Do they run into the player, shoot him, or both? Just curious. Good luck with the game and uni.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2013 16:13
Quote: "doesn't seem to match up too well with guns in his hands though"

I thought that too, but every Chuck Norris poster seems to have him holding guns.

@thekid - Balloons sound a bit boring. What exactly is it that you need help with?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:53:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:53:31