Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Load Object times seem slow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2013 06:51 Edited at: 5th Aug 2013 06:57
Maybe I'm just crazy, but does the dbLoadObject command seem a bit slow to anyone else?

I have an object with no texture and only ~160 polys and it takes ~10 seconds to load. That seems relatively fast, but if I have to do that any number of times, the load times will be completely ridiculous.

My computer hardware isn't amazing, but it isn't bad, either. At least, not bad enough to seem to warrant loading so long for so little.

Is this average or, perhaps, is there something I can do to improve the load times?

[edit]

I feel rather sheepish. It turns out the model was ~2k polys and was just listed as having only 162 on the site it was downloaded from. That explains the load times. This thread can be ignored now.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
If you load a .dbo it is much faster than loading a .x file. I did a test and a 10k poly model loaded from .x took ~15 seconds whereas the same model converted to .dbo and then loaded took ~6 seconds.

I believe when you load a model in GDK it internally converts it to .dbo, so making all your models .dbo before you load them helps save a lot of time.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting, I'm not too well versed with my 3D modelling programs, I'm afraid. Is there one you would recommend to convert files from .3ds/.x to .dbo?

Also, is there any loss of data I would need to be aware of (animation or texture mapping, for instance)?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
I use fragmotion, it has a free version now I believe.

If you convert from .x to .dbo you shouldn't lose any data.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 21:37
Converting X to DBO is simple enough:

3DS would be a bit harder; I suggest you try to export it to X directly if you can, otherwise you can probably convert the 3DS to X and then on to DBO.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "3DS would be a bit harder; I suggest you try to export it to X directly if you can, otherwise you can probably convert the 3DS to X and then on to DBO.
"

Interestingly enough, DBC came with a program bundled with it (built in DBC) that converts 3DS to X. If GDK can convert to DBO, that'll work great.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Great Quote:
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 22:11
DBC even have a function called 3ds2x I think, which takes an input (3ds) file name and an output (x) file name.
For some reason the 3DS format was abandoned for DBP some years ago; before that it could load them too, albeit it failed on every other model and could literarily take minutes on others, so I suppose it was cut out due to its unreliability - better to focus on more game related features than writing importers I guess, since there are ("should be") 3D modelling software and plugins for those that handle such.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:53:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:53:51