Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Hiding the media folder

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So basically I now have a finished game. I can run the game.exe file but it needs the "media" folder in the same directory in order to run properly. But obviously when I share the game with others, I don't want them to see the media folder, so probably what I want is to combine the exe and media folder into just one exe. Or is there a better solution? Can someone please explain to me how to do this like I'm five years old? Thank you.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 09:30
You can use a tool like Smart Packer to pack your application into a single .exe file. I never used it but it should be easy to handle.

If you're games media consists only of images you can also compile them into your application as Resource files from within Visual Studio. That may work with .wav sounds too, but I only have experience with images.

Another approach would be to write a tool that converts your assets into code (like an array of pixels/vertices/etc.) that you could include in your application.

Visit my blog: sebastianpauli.tumblr.com
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 14:39
Quake 3 uses something similar to a zip file, pk3 or something. There's plenty of libs and source code out there with which you can use archives to store all your media files in. They will also work with password protected archives. If you end up using a zip, rar, 7z, etc you can change the extension on the archive too just like Quake 3 does with it's pk3 files.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 16:07 Edited at: 14th Aug 2013 16:10
Sure, but you would still have to find a way to feed the unzipped data to DarkGDK! Something I have yet to see on these forums... At some point you will have to deal heavily with DirectX directly (considering things like animated models, shaders, etc.).

So Smart Packer may just be a more reasonable solution, especially for a 5 year old
I guess there are a couple of other similar (maybe even free) tools out there...

Visit my blog: sebastianpauli.tumblr.com
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 00:46
The easiest way (with a little overhead of course), is just to extract to a file, load as normal, then delete the file.

This can be overcome by using another lib that handles io from a ramdisk. I've seen these libs but never used them personally yet, but after thinking about it, it could be useful.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 16:00
Hi there

There are lots of programs such as dark explorer capable of open an exe, so we could make our own encryption. What I did to test, is something like this:

Quote: "for i= 1 to 100
if limb exist(1,i) then rotate limb 1,i,120,-120,120
if limb exist(1,i) then scale limb 1,i,rnd(100),rnd(100),rnd(100)
next i
"

That converts our object to an useless mesh until we return it to original position. We save this useless object and when we load it, we make something like

Quote: "for i= 1 to 100
if limb exist(1,i) then rotate limb 1,i,0,0,0
if limb exist(1,i) then scale limb 1,i,100,100,100
next i"

Using vertexdata, we could transate position of vertex to new position the value we want and return them back with our function.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Just use zLib and pack your media into encrypted .zip files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:57:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:57:08