Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / Intel AppUp Ends Certificate Subsidy

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 23:13
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but Intel is no longer subsidising code signing certificates (but is still requiring them). I only discovered because I was trying to patch one of my apps and then found my certificate had expired. After being sent all round the houses, I ended up on this page which says:

Quote: "Intel AppUp is no longer subsidizing the cost for obtaining a certificate from Comodo, so if your certificate has expired, you will need to apply for a brand new certificate."

That's got to be bad news. I looked into renewing my certificate with Comodo and it would cost a little shy of £120 a year. I guess that's not much if you're actually generating real revenue from the store but it's surely going to alienate a lot of hobbyists.

I think this is interesting, especially following Tuatara Software's post about the demise of the AppUp SDK. In fact, I was on the store the other day and noticed that there are a lot of serious AAA games on there now. Has anyone heard anything on AppUp's future? I have to say that from the outside at least, it looks like they're trying to move away from being an "app store for Windows" to become a Steam rival with more than just games... And I for one think it's a shame .

I'm also rather sad because it means that I'm going to have to take down my first game, RADAR, from the store. My other apps are working fine so I'm happy to leave them up there, but RADAR is critically glitched and, being unable to update it, my only option is to take it down.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for this information. I think AppUp's demise began as soon as Microsoft announced the Windows App Store.

Trying to get a certificate through Comodo last fall was one of the most painfully tedious processes I've had to endure. The horror stories are spread throughout this forum. I had to send them pages upon pages of identification proof (phone bills, drivers license, bank statements, LLC filing, domain WHOIS data and more). Even after all of that, they still forced me and others to publicly register our address and telephone number on random spammy white page directories, as if that was more proof than all the other documentation I had provided. I understand it may have been cheaper than what Intel is currently offering, but for many it was enough of a pain to put them off developing for AppUp.

I'm not sure how it's possible to be profitable through AppUp (as I recall, they do not allow outside advertising either so you can't include Inner-Active, Adsense or others). My winning competition app, Ballastic, still has less than 650 downloads after 9 months and only one review--and it's a free app that Intel has publicized at the Consumer Electronics Show and online!
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 19:21
You're probably right about AppUp being squeezed out by the Windows Store, although as yet I don't think the Windows Store doesn't provide hosting for desktop apps, just links.

I totally agree about Comodo. I'm still getting some spam from it and although I've got the name and address taken down from most directory websites, it got scraped up by Google and slapped on Google Maps and despite my frequent requests, Google still haven't removed it...

Thanks for sharing your download figures. That seems pretty consistent with what I've heard other people saying. I'm pretty sure I remember baxslash saying his zombie game had broken the 2000 barrier but I think that's the highest I've heard. You used to be able to include outside advertising, but I can say that having had Google AdSense in RADAR for around 2 years (it reached 1800 downloads before I took it off the store) I only earned around £15. As the threshold for paying out is £60, it would have taken at least another 6 years for me to even receive a payment... Not a great earner.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 15:17
I'm disappointed AppUp didn't do better but Intel weren't clever enough with it. They relied too heavily on the Netbook market which died when (or even before) tablets became cheaper and more available.

It was a great place to learn about publishing apps though!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2013 18:11
Wow! I didn't think they could get any worse!
Looks like you can continue to use your certificate until it is expired and it can be used on multiple apps.

Sounds like they're phasing out the market.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2013 22:11
Quote: "I'm disappointed AppUp didn't do better but Intel weren't clever enough with it."

Definitely agree. I still think it's a shame because there really isn't anything else quite like it at the moment. Although there are lots of other game stores and Steam clones out there, I think they are still looking for a level of game up from what I'm viably going to be able to build on my own in my free time. That's also why I think it's odd that they're moving towards big games distribution. I mean, who would choose AppUp over Steam to get their big games? I thought it was better for everyone when it was a Windows app store.

Quote: "Wow! I didn't think they could get any worse!"

Well you know Intel; they're always working hard to surprise you .

Quote: "Looks like you can continue to use your certificate until it is expired and it can be used on multiple apps."

Yeah, unfortunately I only found out when my certificate expired and I started looking into getting a new one.

So what are other people around here thinking of doing about this? I mean, with AppGameKit, most of us still develop on Windows and port, right? So what are you planning on doing with your Windows builds? Just ignoring them and going straight for mobile? How about you bax? I know you say that Kingdom is primarily targeting the PC so what will you do with that? Is anyone considering paying for a certificate or trying other Windows stores?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2013 22:39
I was really hoping that my next game will be ported to Windows, but given that it is a social, multiplayer game, I need FB integration across the board. I was really hoping the AppGameKit team would get that in soon, but since we have no explicit road map for even V2, I can't count on it. I'm exploring ways around it, but...
I was able to live without IAP for Windows and Mac via our own web-based storefront, but not having FB integration will be tougher to get around.
TLDR: About an 75% chance I'll not be releasing my next game to Windows/Mac, mobile only

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2013 23:02
Quote: "How about you bax? I know you say that Kingdom is primarily targeting the PC so what will you do with that? Is anyone considering paying for a certificate or trying other Windows stores?"

If I need a certificate I'll get one from comodo for around $99. I am in the process of buying one for the company I work for from them at the moment funnily enough...

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that the four major app stores for indie developers will probably continue to be the Windows App Store for Windows, iTunes for iOS/Mac, Google Play for Android, and Steam if you are one of the few fortunate enough to get a release greenlit. Windows Store allows desktop and Windows 8 'metro' apps, and cut their developer license to $19. I've never personally explored the path to getting an app on Windows 8 Store, and of course the downside currently is it's a Windows 8 only product.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:10:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:10:25