Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / August 3D Mini-Comp: What's This I Hear?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 08:50 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 09:45
Friends, Forumers, lend me your ears!

Ok, so the last competition was in january(!!) and it looks like David and Josh have left us to our own devices.

Let's face it, ears are tough. They are complicated and awkward and are often stuck on as an afterthought to the face. We have a number of character artists here, yet ears are often missing or left as simple block outs.

So dig deep and let's make some ears. high poly, low poly, sculpted, painted, you name it. The goal should be to pick a form you are *not* comfortable with and dive in anyway.

Personally, my interest in the comps started waning as the durations grew longer, so let's pull it back a bit. This will be a 2 week mini-comp running from now 8/15 through 8/29. It is entirely [mode edit] *official* **simply for fun and practice** (badges yes!) and will be judged by myself using the same categories as the old official comps: best texture, best model, best overall.

the task is simple enough: produce an ear, it can be attached to a head or just on it's own, textured or not.

no poly limits or texture size limits, but bonus points for good budgeting and efficiency.

post a final image here to submit, and wip shots are encouraged.

as always, no previous work, you must start a new model. you gain nothing new if you do nothing new.

I'm gonna be king of the moon dots!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 09:44
Good luck everyone.

Inmortalis Nox
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 20:11 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 20:23
hey thanks Josh! you realize that by posting in the thread, you are now fully expected to compete right?

I'll kick things off:

I always just do a blockout of the outline, then sculpt in the rest onto a flat surface with dynamesh/dynamic topology. I have always avoided actually modelling ears out in polygons, so that is the method i choose to tackle.

obviously, if i am judging, then I'm not competing, but the practice is always good!

the final shot is 1 subdivision with smooth shading. took about 2 hours. I started with a basic 8 sided cylinder.

I'm gonna be king of the moon dots!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 20:53
Challenge accepted!

Great start Ortu. Now add some details!

Inmortalis Nox
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 18:13
Okay I'm going to try to keep my badge.

I think I'll do my own ears attached to my head.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 21:46 Edited at: 24th Aug 2013 20:53
looking forward to it Stab!

@everyone, lots of time left guys. would love to see more entries even if you don't think you can finish.

But will it blend?
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 18:56
My submission:
I use Wings3d to model

[img][/img]

Stab In The Dark Editor
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 20:56
Nice work, it attaches well to the head

But will it blend?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 18:46 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 18:47
Looks really good, but what is the bump in the forehead?

Never mind, I didn't realise this was in the ear competition thread

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 19:12 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 19:15
Ortu
Thanks, yes attaching to the head is hard to get the flow while conserving polys.
I actually extruded the ears from the head it helped with the flow.
One ear is slightly different from the other like in real life.

The Zoq2
The bump on his forehead is actually where his hair starts.LOL
When I finish texturing and do a high poly bake it will look more like wavy hair combed back.
The side view shows a bump where the widows peak is in the center
of the forehead.

[img][/img]

Stab In The Dark Editor
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 17:15
reminder: this ends tomorrow 8/29

there is still time to finish off an entry or even to whip something up.

with only one entry so far, there are some easy badges up for the taking

But will it blend?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 01:29 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 02:32
Quote: "with only one entry so far, there are some easy badges up for the taking"
Would be nicer if they were actually earned rather than given out by default when there are no other entries, if this is the case then mods can feel free to remove this worthless badge I wear.

Actually it might be better just to remove it anyhow as it's been sitting there too long, but I still don't see why it should be awarded simply for entering. If your comp has no entries then maybe you should consider dropping it altogether.

Edit* This also begs the question, is it up to the OP to issue these badges? You seem pretty sure that you can do so, whatever the quality of entry.
What if only one? Are they awarded "3d Master" and "Best texture" along with "Best Model" Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
I put a lot of work into any entries I made in previous comps and there were more competitors then too, maybe it's time to call it a day and agree these badges are not worth issuing if no one is interested in entering anymore.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 05:18 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 07:52
Actually, my original post stated

Quote: "
It is entirely unofficial simply for fun and practice (sorry no badges!)
"

Josh Mooney Mod-edited my post to make it official, to sticky the thread, and to count for badges. I did not ask nor expect anything of the sort.

Obviously it is not up to me if any will be passed out, and I would MUCH rather there be many entries to choose from so that they CAN be competed over. The only reason I reminded people that badges were available here was to try to encourage more people to enter.

In truth my interest here was to try to revive this board as a whole a bit as it has gotten very quiet lately, this was not meant to be about badges, but rather to just get people involved in the board, get people to push their abilities past their comfort zone and make some art.

The badges just ended up as a nice bonus. Unfortunately it seems even a prize wasn't enough to stir much activity.

All that being said, Stab in the Dark produced a solid entry that he should be proud of, and very well would be in the running even if there were other entries to judge against.

Yes, the topology and forms need some work, but that is the point. practice. compete. improve. I do not consider it a "win by default". It isn't a half-arsed blob of polies with a photo slapped on, it is a solid model and deserving of recognition for the effort.

Instead of making assumptions and tearing people down, why not put together an entry yourself? why not spread the word around the larger community and get more people to join in so that there -will- be enough entries to properly judge?

I probably should have tried more to spread awareness myself, but I didn't want to come off as spammy /shrug

But will it blend?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 05:28 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 06:13
Quote: "Instead of making assumptions and tearing people down, why not put together an entry yourself? why not spread the word around the larger community and get more people to join in so that there -will- be enough entries to properly judge?"
Who said I was making assumptions what stated was fact, nor did I tear anyone down, get off your high horse and read what I actually said.
I made no reference whatsoever to the quality of the entry but merely stated that offering easy badges is not the way to run a competition. You know full well you wont get a last minute rush of a dozen entries at this point, so whats the carrot for?

Maybe you should have thought more carefully before waving that one around as an incentive.

If this were a competition with more than a couple of entries I would say the quality of work was very high and deserving of an award. But I can safely assume (this is an assumption) if I entered a blob as you put it I would receive a badge since no one else entered?

All this and your assumption I am making assumptions is meaningless to me, as would any badges you care to dish out.

As for spreading the word that's not my job. it's your competition .
Quote: "Josh Mooney Mod-edited my post to make it official, to sticky the thread, and to count for badges. I did not ask nor expect anything of the sort."
I am aware of this but the way you try to drum up entries at the last minute just isn't right and if I had entered would find it loathesome to accept it by default, and maybe you think Josh will have to follow through and award said badges even in a one horse race.

This is enough for me to ask that ALL badges I have be removed as they bear no relevance to actual achievement, this is a direct request to any mod that can remove them for me.

I am also aware that you didn't enter as you were judging and thats to your credit, as simply put, your example is pretty solid and would have deserved an award. I just dont agree with how you tried to raise more entries (any entries) in the way you just did.

Quote: "The only reason I reminded people that badges were available here was to try to encourage more people to enter."
No...what you actually said was:
Quote: "with only one entry so far, there are some easy badges up for the taking"
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 06:40 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 06:49
Quote: "I made no reference whatsoever to the quality of the entry"

it was certainly implied by:

Quote: "given out by default when there are no other entries"

Quote: "but I still don't see why it should be awarded simply for entering."

Quote: "You seem pretty sure that you can do so, whatever the quality of entry."

as to
Quote: "Who said I was making assumptions what stated was fact"

i see a recurring assumption here about my criteria and quality of judging, as well as personal integrity. i never intended to imply that anything would go out by default, and i do apologize if it came across that way.

Quote: "You know full well you wont get a last minute rush of a dozen entries at this point, so whats the carrot for?"

no, i hoped for two or three.

Quote: "Maybe you should have thought more carefully before waving that one around as an incentive."

they are meant to be incentives though, and incentives dont work if they arent visible. again, my wording was poor and apparently did not come across as intended. this is the first ive tried to run and mistakes will be made. if you have a problem or objection, lets address it instead of going on the attack (thats how it felt anyways)

Quote: "But I can safely assume (this is an assumption) if I entered a blob as you put it I would receive a badge since no one else entered?"

you would be wrong, but then that is the problem with assumptions. instead of starting a dialog over the judging, the rewards etc a week ago so that we could clear things up and work things out, you remained silent in your disgruntlement and i remained oblivious to the issue. when people dont talk or participate it impossible to even gage how many people are even aware of the thread much less thier opinion and understanding of its contents.

Quote: "As for spreading the word that's not my job. it's your competition ."

my point was instead of complaing about someone trying to get people to be more active, anyone who enjoys the competitions and has an interest in revivng them to be fun and successful again can be constructive and take a hand in getting them off them ground. one person isnt going to be able to do it alone. it is not meant to be 'my' competition. it is meant to be a community competition. the only reason i started it is because the mods abandoned them and no one else stepping in to fill the void. no one else was going o take the initiative so i did. if my presentation of it wasnt great, lets talk about how to make it better, constructively.

now, if a mod had wanted to step in and take over running/judging i would be happy to step aside and let them. they did not, and so again, i am judging only because no one else is taking the initiative.

as it doesnt look like there will be any other entries, here is how i judge it:

3d master: n/a

best model: Stab in the Dark

i would not call this model textured as it really only has a noise fill and thus it is not applicable to the other categories. the modelling however is solid, with fair edgeflow, and a good connection to the head. although the inner forms and contours are innacurate, some even missing, it is pretty clear that he pushed to model something he was not terribly familiar with and i commend him for that.

best texture: n/a

Josh will do as he wishes with the badges.

in two weeks, i will start a new two week mini comp if no one else has. i am new at this organizing/motivating bit and it may take some time to work out the kinks, but i encourage everyone to join and together, we can all make a better competition.

fear not organic haters, the next will involve hard surface.

But will it blend?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 06:49 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 07:11
Quote: "i see a recurring assumption here about my criteria and quality of judging, as well as personal integrity. i never intended to imply that anything would go out by default, and i do apologize if it came across that way."

Just once more I will quote what you said
Quote: ""with only one entry so far, there are some easy badges up for the taking""
There is no recurring assumption, there is no long held disgruntlement, I had no problems at all till that was said and only when that was said. All other opinions you have about me are irrelevant, if you want to say I was taking this the wrong way then fine, if you want to say I am being obtuse in my interpretation of what you said then thats fine too. It still looks fairly straightforward to me...

Quote: "in two weeks, i will start a new two week mini comp if no one else has. i am new at this organizing/motivating bit and it may take some time to work out the kinks, but i encourage everyone to join and together, we can all make a better competition."
I hope it goes well and agree that there a lost spirit of community around here, if your competition is too specific it will put people off, the most successful ideas were more open to interpretation where people could use their skills in their own way, such as the Middle Earth comp. If you try to force people to learn a new skill simply to enter a competition its not going to happen.

best model: Stab in the Dark
I agree its worthy, but you should give him '3D Master' I don't see why its n/a and would be better than 'Best Model' given it was the only model.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 07:09 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 08:00
Quote: "
Quote: "i see a recurring assumption here about my criteria and quality of judging, as well as personal integrity. i never intended to imply that anything would go out by default, and i do apologize if it came across that way."
Just once more I will quote what you said

Quote: ""with only one entry so far, there are some easy badges up for the taking""

There is no recurring theme, there is no long held disgruntlement, I had no problems at all till that was said and only when that was said. All other opinions you have about me are irrelevant, if you want to say I was taking this the wrong way then fine, if you want to say I am being obtuse in my interpretation of what you said then thats fine too. Iit looks fairly straightforward to me...
"

it really was only meant as a simple reminder that the compo was nearly over. i know people put things off to later then forget about them. i do. as to the badges being easy, i really only meant that if there are a handful of entries, means that you have a higher probability of winning, thus they are easier than in a fierce competition with dozens of entries.

i get that you dont agree with the tactic of trying to pull in last minute entries, if it is an honest disagreement, not just a misunderstanding, thats fine. i will agree to disagree.

i will state again however, i never once said that anything would be given out by default or without earning it. i only said that they were available as a result of the compo, and yes with a low entry rate, odds of winning do go up.

But will it blend?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 07:26 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 07:39
Quote: "I hope it goes well and agree that there a lost spirit of community around here, if your competition is too specific it will put people off, the most successful ideas were more open to interpretation where people could use their skills in their own way, such as the Middle Earth comp. If you try to force people to learn a new skill simply to enter a competition its not going to happen."

to an extent i agree about the specificity, however, too broad a theme also lacks entries leaving people lost and unfocused. the one to model anythng around you had one of the absolute lowest turn outs. the best i saw and participated in were the scene, the metalworker, woodworker, and stoneworkers.

the reason i choose something so specific is due to a number of character models posted in the past couple of weeks before the start of he compo, and none of them had well developed ears. artists need to be constantly pushed out of thier comfort zones and i hoped this would motivate these posters in particular, the most active recently, to take that plunge. to me, and it seemed like to most of the old posters i used to compete against, the compos were about improving and pushing each other to constantly do better, not so much about only working on things you liked and felt confident in competing with.

not every theme can appeal to everyone, but i try to tailor them towards the interests of active projects and posters as these seemed the most likely to see the thread and join in.

the next will definitely be more broad, and more open to creative interpretation.

edit
Quote: "I agree its worthy, but you should give him '3D Master' I don't see why its n/a and would be better than 'Best Model' given it was the only model."

3d master requires a texture, i cant consider his entry to have a proper texture (sorry stab, that looks to be just a basic cloud noise filter, its not even clear if it has a UV map) and therefore it doesnt qualify for the master badge.

being the only model is irrelevant, i think weve already discussed at length the issue of default prizes.

But will it blend?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 08:15
I'm going to take responsibility for all the misconceptions here and apologize. To clarify, badges are only rewarded when mods have voted and agreed on who get's what. That includes every badge a member has, not just the 3D compo badges.

David is usually the 3D comp runner, but has been away because of work. I started to pick it up but work also got in the way. I was planning on starting the comps up again when Ortu posted, so I thought I'd see how this panned out.

I feel like a fresh start is in order. I'm going to clear the badges and post a new comp, one that will be judged by the mods and with a theme that will encourage anyone to enter.

Inmortalis Nox
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 08:18
glad to hear it josh, nd ill be looking forward to competing

But will it blend?
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 10:56
I will try to enter the next competition.

Good effort on bringing them back Ortu.

Unfamillia

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 20:45
Quote: "Good effort on bringing them back Ortu."

Thanks man, that's really the main thing I was after so success on that front I guess

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 23:49
I'll be posting the new compo either tonight or tomorrow. Already have everything setup and ready to go.

Inmortalis Nox

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:10:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:10:39