Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Forever Alone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 17:32 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 17:49
Aaand it's me again, with yet another game (as announced in this thread).

Some of the beautiful reviews I received:

"Best game so far!, really funny." - tiffy

"Quite a disturbing game...I like it!" - Ithildin

"Really, really nice entry. The story completely dragged me into it. Perfect mood, lovely artwork. Good work!" - XmmmX

"Cool game. I've never seen this concept in a game before. Nice job" - KristinnEs

"Awesome! Really Awesome!" - ehnaton

I made this game for Ludum Dare 27 this weekend (theme was 10 Seconds) over a timespan of about 36 hours. It's about a man who has got a striking problem: Every time a woman falls in love with him, she's got no more than 10 seconds to live. And it's your job to find a way out of this unfortunate situation.

As opposed to 360, which was a Ludum Dare entry as well, I focused on story and narration instead of gameplay this time, and I'm quite pleased with the result. The whole story is told in flashbacks due to the player telling his story in a support group, so the game always switches between the past and the present.
The game admittedly is a little gory at times.

The game can be downloaded (and rated) here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=23164 or simply from the attachement of this post.

Furthermore there's a complete video playthrough:

As always, thanks for your interest and feel free to leave feedback in any shape or form.

Thank you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 19:20 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 21:13
looks very deep, I will have a test run when I am back at home.

Edit:
Tried this now and this is booth depressing and extremly funny at some times.

I hoped for some more in the end, but for a 32hours? release this is some great stuff.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 01:15
I can't believe I watched the whole thing.....

I can't believe I loved it! It's so my humour! I want to make my own blatant rip off version now!

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
This was very good. I think you should put a bit of work into cleaning up the dialog and the art and you'll have a really REALLY nice little game!

Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK Studio Always
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 02:12
Lol lol and lol love your humour would love to work on a monkey island type game with you

There can only be one
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 13:24
lol that was very cleverly done. I watched the video until the end as well.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 23:56
Very funny

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
While I was quite satisfied with how the game turned out, I didn't expect that much positive feedback. Thank you.

Quote: "I can't believe I loved it! It's so my humour! I want to make my own blatant rip off version now!"

Please, go ahead.

Quote: "I think you should put a bit of work into cleaning up the dialog and the art and you'll have a really REALLY nice little game!"

Right, the art style was probably the biggest problem. I wanted to make something a bit more appealing than my usual very abstract line- and block based graphics and ended up with a bunch of textures in all possible shapes and colors that don't really go well with each other.

Quote: "Lol lol and lol love your humour would love to work on a monkey island type game with you"

Who knows, maybe some day... But seriously, I like to collaborate with other people, especially for those very short jam projects (such as LD, Global Game Jam and the likes - and apparently Indie Speed Run starts today and allows contestants to create a 48 hour game at some point in time during September). So if you're up to something like that just let me know.
But for the protocol, I have to admit I never really played Monkey Island.....

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2013 01:46 Edited at: 1st Sep 2013 01:47
You should one day expand on this concept; there is something about the graphics that makes it look purposefully simple, that seems to work; it also kind of takes the mickey out of home made game projects in a humorous way. It might work if you just desaturate the colours, to almost black and white; but with a few colours showing through.

It could also lead to a spin off which takes the mickey out of video games in general, which I once wanted to do; I wanted to make a game featuring game levels based on peculiarly social topics with storylines that question the stereotypes of gamers and developers; featuring a game level constructed with micro-transation price tags with cliches such as health packs stuffed with Lager situated at pub entrances and an end of level boss who happens to be the characters mother in law, and his weapon is an iSword or something with an apple logo on it with two bytes on it; but I am not that good with jokes and you'd have to have a lot of guts to pull it off, and it takes a lot of thought.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:38:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:38:02