Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Anyone Using Maya for FPSC models?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 07:07 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2013 07:11
I have always been kicking around the idea of buying 3D Max, but just a few days agao they released a LT version of Mayaa for $795. That is a lot cheaper than the $3695 that is Max. I have downloaded it and figured out that it can do everything it's big brother can do but they kind of streamed lined it for game developers.(they stripped some options out like some renderers, SDK's and things but these are somethings I would not have used anyway.) It really only comes with an FBX exporter so there's that to overcome but they make convertors. But I always here people talking about Max here, but Maya on other forums so the question would be, does anyone here use Maya?

EDIT: I should have said I downloaded the trial. I am looking for some opinions before layouting out the cash.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 16:46
Maya is a wonderful program for animation. Unfortunatly it does not export into direct x format, that is needed for this engine.

We get models from Maya and we tried to have people animate in Maya and convert it to Xfile via 3d max. It is a lenghthy process that most times did not work in the end.

Static objects are ok, but we get them in .obj format and have to be converted using another program that will export the direct x format.

So if you are using another game engine, then Maya is a great program, Not so easy for FPSC.

Blender, fragmotion, wings 3d and a few other would be a better choice and a lot cheaper then 3d max or Maya.

But if you can afford it and are going to stay with FPSC then 3d max and Bond1 KW export are an excellent choice for animation.

Hope this informs you better about making a decision on which program to use for your needs.

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 16:59
Thanks Pirate Myke. I primarily use UDK right now while I wait for reloaded so the FBX is okay for that but want to start making and selling/giving away assets for all engines especially FPSC because of all the generous people who have helped me here while I learned programming and modeling. I am also waiting to see what formats the new reloaded is going to import.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 18:33
Quote: "Maya is a wonderful program for animation. Unfortunatly it does not export into direct x format, that is needed for this engine."

They stripped out most of the animation capabilities of Maya, in this version.

-Keith

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 21:28
Then I would say go ahead and make a couple as you will not be able to test them.

Maybe you could pass them to someone at TGC to test them for you and definatly give us all feed back, as I have about 20 Maya animators waiting for a sulotion.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:37:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:37:41