Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Spyware

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 22:17
I have recently installed a copy of SpyKiller onto my PC and it informs me that the Start.exe in the DarkBASIC folder contains Spyware, namely "EmployeeWatch".

Anyone got any idea what this is and does. There is no mention of it in the documentation.

Games that Rock are Dark Games
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 22:23 Edited at: 25th Nov 2003 22:24
Yes, it keeps an eye on employee's...

Lets put it this way, Norton 2004 doesn't find anything wrong with start.exe

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 23:51
Sounds like a false positive. Pest Patrol does not peg any DBP programs as spy/pest ware.
--
TAZ
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 02:24
DBPro (or any of our products for that matter) does not contain any form of spyware in any shape what-so-ever, regardless of what another application may report.

Cheers,

Rich

"It's easy to be mean when death equals a high score screen."
"You can take your Quake and go away, I'd rather play Bubble Bobble any day."
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Chewbakker, I just downloaded SpamMerchant to my computer, and it informs me that your Avatar contains Spamware, namely "SuperSpammer!"

Lol! J/K!

Pincho.
ChewBakker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 10:37
mmm,

Maybe it is there, maybe it isn't. With regards to the "SuperSpammer" contained in my Avatar, this was an Avatar selected from the DPPro list of available Avatars.

It seems to me that there is a lot of Spam producing software out there and programs that are supposed to find it may well be mis-informing people of its existance to con us into paying for their software.

The Spyware Company I was using has a nasty way of selling its software as well. If you go to their web site they offer 20% off, if you click buy, you get it at the 20% off. if you click Don't Buy, they offer a further 10% off. Not very customer friendly.

Sorry to the guys at DBPro for creating this thread, and thanks to Richard Davey for the assurance.

Games that Rock are Dark Games
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 01:21
i hate spyware remover progs for a very good reason.
u know lava's wonderful adaware 6?
o yes it worked alright and took out a lot of spyware - it also managed to wipe out half my pooters contents at the same time rendering alot of programmes unrunnable to the point where i had to erase the HDD and start again.
I have a firewall to protect me - i think that should be enuff personally.

@divide by zero - lmao @ u

I am obsessed by Toasters - especially talking ones...bizaare really isn't it?
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 12:10
Umh. Everything ad-aware does is just rename the files. that's the quarantine. You can always restore them back if you want.
(I find this annoying, I really have no intention of restoring some data miner cookies)

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:27:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:27:40