Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / [Blender] Object Rename Tool

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2013 17:25 Edited at: 25th Mar 2014 18:56
Ever had to rename more than 100 blender objects to be exported into a game, renaming them one by one? Ever had to rename the bones on a detailed armature according to their location on the X-Axis?

The object renamer will calculate a number of rename jobs for you. This is an undoable operator, located on the 3D object tool panel.

* Rename all object selected
* Rename all objects of a given type.
* Rename child objects.
* Rename according to data or given material
* Rename according to the object's position (EG: Left, Top, Right from Cursor)
* Perform a general action on all renamed objects
* Generate delimited attributes into the names
* Append object name / data name or something custom to the new name.

This script is yet to be released, with no warranty of any kind. You may use the script in your commercial projects and may create your own adaptation of it.

I am working on the batch object rename tool for Blender informally. Please provide any suggestions or ideas here. Later on I will refine it and release it at Blender.org.

The easiest way to use the tool is to select your objects, or group them and choose the 'Selected' or 'Grouped' options. When group is selected, all objects of the same group of the selected objects are renamed.

You may append something or nothing; the base name field is where you enter your name for all the objects.

If you make a mistake, do not forget to press F6 to make post alterations to the activated rename operation; this gives you a menu allowing to perform 'real-time' name tweaks.

Documentation is in progress...

To install, drop the attached file into your addons folder, and active the script in your addon preferences panel.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kagekiyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2013 18:10
I have been learning blender for all of 3 weeks and have already needed something like this. This is an awesome thing and will leave me more time for DBPro programming.

Thanks Chris.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 15:04
Great to hear; I hope it speeds up your development.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 10:54 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 10:57
Before this post gets auto-locked, I am bumping this thread to remind any users of Blender of my renaming tool which enables you to change and calculate names for large quantities of objects as well as few.

Users of various TGC products will from time to time get into situations where 3D limbs need to be referenced by name, however many of them there are in your world. At times, you may also wish to induct material and mesh names into the limb names when conducting various Blender activities.

Download a copy and drag into your Blender add-ons folder to install. Post any feedback here so that I can be made aware of your renaming experiences.

Happy Blendering!

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 11:06
Quote: "Ever had to rename more than 100 blender objects to be exported into a game, renaming them one by one?"

I have been using Blender for modeling, but not long ago I start doing little games into Blender, and that is true, that when we append and external .blend, we realize that we have to go first to rename cube001
etc...

Thanks for the addon.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 18:25 Edited at: 25th Mar 2014 18:56
You are welcome. Please let me know of any errors, or ideas. If you make a mistake, do not forget to press F6 to make post alterations to the activated rename operation; this gives you a menu allowing to perform 'realtime' rename tweaks.

I will soon have it submitted to the Blender script library once I get it refined.

Again please report any bugs and post up any ideas.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 21:34
I had better bump this message because I do not want it to get locked. As always, post any feedback.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 16:48
Hello again, I am bumping to prevent this thread from being locked. I want people to be able to post up feature requests or feedback.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 05:39:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 05:39:05