Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Very custom models, what to tell the artist to be fpsc compatible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 14:34
I'm hiring a character modeller to make some monsters for fpsc, what do I need to tell them? is there anything to look out for that the modeller must understand? Ill note, they will not be importing it into fpsc, just making the model/rigging/animating. Is there any instructions I had better give them so that it will work?

Ill also note, some of the models are very large, 2 - 10 times larger for the very biggest boss characters. Some also have wings and multiple limbs because of tentacles. They also use shaders.

Also is there a default character anywhere? I dont have a working PC anymore (mac user), and I'm having to use a cloud service for anything PC, perhaps I can take a character of the fpsc CD as long as I dont have to install it to open it, my macbook wont like that I'm sure.

I'm coming into this without knowing anything on custom models so any information is appreciated.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 19:40 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 19:40
If you want some "default" character just link him to one of cosmic prophets packs that has a char in it. (You can find these on the forums here).

Tell him to keep an eye on the polycount (even a really big thing with tentacles and what not should not go over 15000 Polygons.)

Its best to use a single large texture rather than multiple textures.
If they use shaders, you can tell him to bake most extra detail to the normalmap.

Quote: "Ill also note, some of the models are very large, 2 - 10 times larger for the very biggest boss characters."

Good luck with getting that to work! I hope we get to see some screenshots

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 21:26 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 21:35
Im using fpsc to prototype, so you can cheat a lot as it doesn't have to fully work, just look like it does for videos for a proof of concept.

How big can the texture maps go? Only one tex map, haven't artists used more? Some of the new packs look good resolution and detail, are they only one tex map? What happens if you use multiple ones?

Also I have some big floating rock platforms, that the player can leap/fly to. example below (not from my game but you get the idea)
http://www.ghostcircles.com/store/wp-content/uploads/DXS-115-floating-rock.jpg
segments?, only 1 texture, some are quite bit though, bigger than 100 units by 100 units, 400 or 800 units, by the same in height.

Do you think Ill get any problems? like I said, its just a prototype for some stock footage.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 21:58
texture maps can go up to 4096*4096

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:53:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:53:03