Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Need help in a flamewar! Pincho.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 15:35 Edited at: 26th Nov 2003 15:37
Quote: "Well Pinky did you try again? as you NEVER even bothered first time round, don't dispute this pal you'd loose and basically liared your arse off. yeah I noticed no AOL's attempted to download failed or otherwise, so are you just full of RV steam and horsey or what? here was the brunt of the code for Mickey, so ARE you going to DO the rest for him......?????????
"

This TOM guy wanted me to download a file from his site written in VB to add some of my code to it. I clicked the zip attachment but I got an error which stopped the download. I can't remember what the error was but I think it was 404. Now he is flaming me saying that he has no log of my attempted download of his program. I want an explenation of why a log can fail to be made. Can anyone suggest why he didn't get a log?

This flame was really bad, and has annoyed the cr*p out of me!

Pincho.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 15:50
Er, my first thoughts are that his hosting server went down, which of course wouldn't log a log!

Or, he hasn't got logging on.

Or, he doesn't know HOW to access his logging stats.

~ J ~
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:27
just tell him to suck your arse.

-RUST-
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:30
ROFL

Yeah, didn't think of that...!

~ J ~
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:34

-RUST-
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:35 Edited at: 26th Nov 2003 16:37
I reckon he's a nut case. Does my attempt to download the file get stored in a log on the site where the link was? Coz I could ask the site to find the log. Or maybe I have the log somewhere on my computer?

Pincho.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:37
Well I know on our website we can monitor who downloads what, what time, etc, etc. But it's not 100% accurate and of course a program logging, can only log when it's working.

I don't know to be honest, personally like cattlerustler said, just tell him to go away in short jerky movements.

But, I appreciate you might wanna save face, don't know pincho, can't help I'm affraid - he does seem a right nutter though!

~ J ~
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:55
You can't win things like that. You never can. So, just tell him to go jump in the lake. Or something much more explicit and graphical, involving bits of his anatomy doing anatomically impossible things.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 16:55
Do you use aol? Perhaps he is looking for the wrong thing in the log.

If you got an error then the site could have been down and if it's down no log.

Just be thankfull you didn't add the code, doesn't sound like he deserves it.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 17:09 Edited at: 26th Nov 2003 17:09
Well his main argument is that he has other logs from the link but none of them are AOL. I am AOL.

Pincho.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 17:10
Well I know that if you use the AOL browser, it doesn't always pass log information. MSIE does, as does Mozilla, Netscape, but the AOL and I "think" opera doesn't.

~ J ~
Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 17:13
You could try it again, and take a screenshot of the attempt.

Then again, like others have said, you could tell him to take a running jump....

Go dpuga Dia suaimhneas dom ...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well he could have put a virus in it now, judging by his attitude, so I'm not touching it.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 17:16
yeah, who's got time for all that - I still think the arse sucking thing is the best way to handle this

-RUST-
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 18:50 Edited at: 26th Nov 2003 18:51
If others could download it and you couldn't there is quite a high chance that for whatever reason you couldn't connect to his server so no log entry.

Unfortunatly you are using aol, I may be wrong but I think they use a Web Proxy Cache so you never actually connect to the web site but there proxy server does and gets the page, stores it in it's cache and then sends it to you. The aol server might show up as anything in his logs.

From http://webmaster.info.aol.com/faq.html#cachingfaq

Quote: "Q. Can I use the IP address of the request to track a member's access to my site?

A. No. Because AOL uses proxy servers to service the requests made by members, webmasters see the IP address of the gr server, not the DAHA of the member in their web site log files. The problem with trying to use the IP address to track access is that there may easily be multiple members assigned to a proxy server. All of the member requests would appear to be coming from one member if you assumed a relationship between member and IP address. In addition, members may be reassigned to a different proxy server during a session. See also Network Info."

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 18:55
^----- is what I thought, only the_winch put it a hell-of-a-lot-better!!!

~ J ~
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 19:33
lol I wouldn't even bother. Goodness knows how it got into a flamewar

The guys a psycho!

"Help! My keyboard is stuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk"

Mercenaries in Space demo @ http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 19:40
Err, did he check the error logs?

Just that the access logs and error logs are different.

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 19:57
Hi

I'm a toss pot and I want you to do me a favour.

I want you to download my program, it's obsenely badly written and laid out like a cracked up hooker with a bad attitude: no layout; style consistency; or commentation.

My program is useless because, frankly, I am a useless programmer.

None the less I would like for you to download the program and fix it for me. You are obliged to do this.

In the event that there is any kind of problem, I will portray you as an amateur (which technically you are) and make fun of you. This is because I suffer from a poor self image and wish to present myself online as the same kind of maestro that bullies my in my day to day life - you know - an ordinary person with confidence.

Of course I accept that if my server goes down I would have no log of the event, or if there is any 3rd party problem between yourself and myself I would also have no log of the event on my server.

I also realise that if you attempt to download my file, but get an error 404, it would not show up on the file transfer list but instead on the error list which using most web browsing statistical analyses software would not trace the IP# but instead merely collate the quantity of such hits at the site.

Of course if my statistical reporting tool is anything less than a very serious piece of kit, like one would get at AOL for instance, then I dont even get this.

However because I have been force fed BS by AOL for years, as a dimwitted subscriber, I believe the simple and easy to understand text that says "this will log all actions on my server" next to the check box, and have never had the enlightenment enough to actually find out what a log file is or how they work.

Please excuse my pathetic nature, but it is the best I can do because I have no friends, an anibility to communicate, and an attitude so bad that if it was a person the Americans would launch air raids on my mouth. Which is good, because that's the nearest another person would ever have been to it.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well whatever I say seems to have so solid backup, so I'll just have to forget about it.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 21:14
forget the arse sucking thing - I am liking the sound of this air-raids idea! Tell me more.

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:22:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:22:55