Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Beginner how to get started to make a game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2013 10:53
I am completly new in darkbasic pro, and therefore I need some help to get started. I have extremly wanted to make a 2d/3d game, but all I can do now is to make an easy guess question game, and a very easy calculator based on variabels. Could anyone help me to make or find easy tutorials to help me to get into darkbasic pro. And help me to make an easy 2d platform game, where the player could jump and walk.I think 3d is too overkill to get started with, therfore I think to start with 2d games, but is even 2d games to difficult for a completly beginner to start with? I have seen on 2d tutorials on youtube, but the problems are that is too easy to only copy and paste their codes. I need to learn darkbasic pro not only copy and paste others codes, but I need a good foundation to start on. If anyone could help me to make a good 2d platform game foundation to start on, that would be nice. I have also a another question is the 2d plugin for darkbasic pro an easy and good thing to start with, or should I concentrate on only darkbasic pro?

Thanks
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 12:31
I'd suggest starting out with this;

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2161

By far this is the best way to get started with DarkBASIC Pro. Many of us on these forums have these books, you could probably even get them second hand.

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 14:30
thanks for your answer, I will check it out
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 04:01
Not a problem. Remember that you can also post your code here if you have any questions. Let us know if you're using any plug ins for your code too.

You can also add executables to your posts, but zip them up before uploading. Recently, I've been playing around with the "Image Kit v2" plug-in, and I made this effect (see attachment). It's not very efficient though, I should really learn shaders already.

DarkBasic Help Wikia

Attachments

Login to view attachments
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 08:38
Thanks, but were could I download the "Image Kit v2" plug in? That example you gave me was realy nice, and I will try out to use this plug in to my own easy 2D game I have also a question about the book tips you gave me, is that book a easy book to start with for a beginner, and provides the book good examples and good explanations? I will also try to post my code (for my 2D game) her as soon as possible
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 01:14
Quote: " but were could I download the "Image Kit v2" plug in?"

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177340&b=5

You can find that info, among many other plugins, from my website:
http://dbcodecorner.com/?page=resources

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 05:48
Hit up the search on the forums too, you'll find a lot of the plug-ins that are discussed by simply searching for them.

One MUST HAVE plug-in is IanM's Matrix1 Utilities. They're truly brilliant. And in thinking about IanM, has anyone seen him online recently? I hope everything is OK with him... >_>

DarkBasic Help Wikia
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 21:29
Thanks for your tips If anyone want to see my 2D game project (so far) you could check out this link

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208104&b=1
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 03:48 Edited at: 10th Oct 2013 03:52
You can attached your code to a post using the "code" button;

[ code lang=dbp ]
Paste your code here ^_^
[ /code ]

DarkBasic Help Wikia
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 10:05
Ok,but shall I paste the code in or outside the clamps???
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 17:41 Edited at: 10th Oct 2013 17:56
Quote: "Ok,but shall I paste the code in or outside the clamps???"

What you do is paste your code, highlight it with the mouse and then just hit the CODE button.

To answer your original question, I would personally say that after using DBPro for 3 years now, the most important part of game making is experimentation and to have original ideas.

If you have an idea in mind for a game theme, members can give you specific pointers.

I have the most fun creating skies and landscapes because it's relatively easy. Others are more into modeling, animating and physics, which is quite a bit harder, especially without plugins.

Besides tutorials, another way to learn is to pull up the help menu in your editor (F1) and look through the index and just start experimenting. You'll be surprised at what you can pick up in an hour or two.

Above all, remember to enjoy the journey. You're not going to have a professional grade game in a month, maybe not even year! Of course, everyone learns at their own pace.

D.D.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 18:18
Could not resist coming by here to wish our new fellow DBPro coder WAKS a warm welcome to the forums

WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 20:09
Derek Darkly thank you for your help I have already started to experiment in one month now, and I can already see that I'm getting better and better to write codes You could follow my project on the link above.
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 20:11
MrValentine; thanks for the nice words
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 07:58
Quote: "I think 3d is too overkill to get started with, therefore I think to start with 2d games, but is even 2d games to difficult for a complete beginner to start with?"

There is no real difference in difficulty between text, 2D or 3D. Many of the most complicated programs in the world don't output any graphics whatsoever, this gives the computer more time to concentrate on the pure calculations, however, the trade-off is that the data is more difficult to interpret. You could in theory write an open-world procedurally generated exploration game that is far more detailed than GTAV, and it would run much faster, but it would be very difficult to play a game like that and appreciate all the detail of the simulation if all you saw on the screen was plain text. Graphical games tend to be more complex than text games but only because graphics allow more information to be conveyed in an intuitive manner. True, there is a natural overhead involved in using 3D graphics that will requires more knowledge than 2D or text, but DBP was designed to handle a lot of those overheads for you. Graphics are optional, they are tools, like all other commands, to help you create what you want.

Quote: "I have seen on 2d tutorials on youtube, but the problems are that is too easy to only copy and paste their codes. I need to learn darkbasic pro not only copy and paste others codes, but I need a good foundation to start on."

There is no problem in copying code, you need to learn to read before you can write. Reading lots of different people's code can help you understand the coder's thought process and will lead you onto new things to learn about. Tutorials are great for learning "theory" and how to use specific commands, but to put it all together into a good program you need to learn from others and read their programs.

Formerly OBese87.
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 21:59
Libervurto: thanks for your information and help. I have already started on a basic 2D game, and I have started to learn DarkBasic pro step for step by experimenting and try out my own codes and others codes, I have also bought the book "Hands On DarkBASIC Pro - Volume 1". I think this book will give me a solid reference and a good foundation
skinner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2013 12:01
Thanks! very useful for 2D games

Hello!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:55:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:55:33