Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Max VS Mars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 07:40 Edited at: 20th Oct 2013 03:46
Play the level 1 demo and let me know what you think!
[href]forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2491472[/href]

360 controller is highly recommended, but keyboard works too.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/max-vs-mars
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 13:21
That looks so cool; was that created in DBPRO or DGDK? I can tell so far you have a lot of passion for games development, it looks like a lot of hard work went into it; there is a lot going on in that short video. Quite nostalgic. I want to play!

I've got to share at least one personal opinion about improving it; it would be nice if there was more comedy featured in the game; which may already be the case; but I can only go by what I see. (Is that a toilet seat on a flag pole at 0:15?) But over all I am sure what you come up with will be great.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 16:07
Thanks so much! I'm writing it in DBPro. It's been a bit of work, but now that my main engine is finished for handling everything I think the rest of the work will just be creating the levels.

Yes that's a toilet! I'm thinking about having a few cut scenes told through comic panels, I agree more comedy would be great. The enemies will hopefully get progressively more ridiculous, which should be easy as they're hand drawn.
One thing I'm not sure about yet is the music; I made a bunch of chiptunes but the other half of me thinks it would be funny to compose an epic orchestral soundtrack.

http://mattsmith.carbonmade.com/
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 17:45
Yeah a full ensemble orchestra would make it sound appropriately overdone in a comic manner. Perhaps some bizarre attacks, weapons and power-up ideas might come up later.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you sure the physics are in the final stages?
Looks a bit jumpy to me. Besides this it reminds me on
Mega man x in some situations, which is allways a good thing.

Be aware, that you will have to add more stuff to keep
It interesting enough for people to pick it up.

Are you using your own editor for the levels and load them
Dynamically?

Did you make the music by yourself? I like the musics style
Keep it up!

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 06:25
Quote: "Looks a bit jumpy to me"

That's the dash attack. I use it a lot in the video, a friend remarked that I probably used it too much and made it look confusing.

Thanks for the mega man reference! I see this as a mix of sonic, mega man, and rocket knight adventures (three of my favorite games!)

I'm just using the mapscape editor thing, the levels are just a bit of geometry with the rest being images pasted on planes.
And thank you for the compliment on my music! I've always wanted to make a game with a chiptune soundtrack. I may record some orchestral tracks as well and switch it up in different situations.

I have some things planned for further levels, but advice is always welcome after I can get a level 1 demo out there!

http://mattsmith.carbonmade.com/
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay dash attack clears it all up for me physics wise.

I suggest adding a trail of transparent Player sprites when he does that ( I like flashy transparent trails when a fast movement is done ).
However as it is your game, you are free to Chose your style of course.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 22:21
You can't see it very well in the video, but that's already in there. Well technically it's just one sprite, with multiple copies of the character fading out, but yeah. Good idea!

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 03:43
Just wanted to post a demo for those who want to give it a whirl. Feedback is welcome. The demo is just level 1. The boss is currently immortal. Just an FYI.
Controls are space (A on 360 controller) to jump, Ctrl. to attack (X).
If you play, please let me know what you think!
Thanks.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 15:50 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 16:05
Edit: Sorry for double post.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 16:03 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2013 00:03
I had a go with it and made it to the Boss.

Here is some Feedback:

-Jumping was a bit akward, when Players Y is increased (jumping)
you increase it by a nice curve, but when falling it Looks like you decremented Y by a constant value. I would love to see a curved ascend and descent of the Player.

-Graphics: sprites looked nice and where smoothly animated,
the only flaw I could spot is that Max´s cape will spin around wildly when he is resetted after death. ( Seems like the way Max is resetted should also update the saved last X and Y Values for calculating the cape, to the value he is resetted to. Nice Mercury looking water shader btw.

-Collision: Sliding collision with walls and the Level map in General works great, but when colliding with enemys there where some things I would improve:
-I lost two Energy bars while colliding with one of the Boss bullets while Standing perfectly still, easily fixable by deleting the bullet when it hits something.
-Make the Player a short period invulnerable when he is hit could also remove the Problem above and also the game would be a bit more forgiving. ( If such a timer already exists make it a bit longer, also add the ability to walk past enemys if the Player is invulnerable )

-At the very last I spotted a clipping error:
Looks like it is a set object transparency Problem.
Edit turns out this was intentional , Image removed to Keep thread clean.

I enjoyed the game so far, but the first two wall Spikes where a pain which took me 7 tries to get past them.
I like the way the camera zooms in when Max launches an attack,
also you nailed down the whole Alien Invasion theme pretty well.
Furthermore your idea for the first Boss is simple and effective ( i think you will Need to hit him from behind ),
perfect for a first time Boss.
Also the trail behind max when dashing, is kinda nice, maybe make it a bit more visible.
Tried it all while using a 360 Controller.

Edit: Image link

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 20:33
Thanks Nabz, exactly the sort of notes I was hoping for.
If you could clarify this I'd appreciate it,
Quote: "I would love to see a curved ascend and descent of the Player"

I think you're saying you'd like Max to start falling slower and gradually pick up speed?

Quote: "Max´s cape will spin around wildly when he is resetted after death"

I hate that, I'm using "GENERATE RECTANGULAR CLOTH" command for the cape with the "UPDATE PHYSICS" command set in the loop. I found those commands randomly in a demo (I think someone posted it in the forum) but I can't find any info on the built-in physics commands. I don't think they're DarkPHYSICS, as that command set is different and all have the PHY prefix, so if anyone knows about any pause physics or start/stop physics commands I think that would be very helpful.

About the spikes, did you notice the zoom in/out feature while pressing the 360's triggers? I've noticed that for me that section is easier if I have the camera zoomed out, if you agree I should probably just zoom the camera out automatically in those spots. I want to have a few sections in later levels where the player has to jump from wall to wall and thought that would be a good way to familiarize him/her with the concept.

The clipping issue was thrown in intentionally, I disabled the zdepth of all characters to make it a bit easier, so the player doesn't make a jump straight into an enemy standing behind a wall or something.

I've thought about a 2 second or so invulnerability period after being hit, so you've confirmed my suspicions about that.

Thanks again for the notes, most helpful!

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn´t know you can zoom in and out manually , this would make the wall Spikes section easier indeed.

Nice to hear you are going to include an invulnerability timer.

Looking Forward to the next demo.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 00:58
This looks fun.

I've not played it yet as I'm having trouble downloading anything at the moment (I'm going to try and upload a sceenie for my own WIP in a minute but I don't hold out much hope). I also don't have an Xbox 360 controller so I might not be able to do it much justice.

I like the graphics and the game play looks pretty good. The mad cloak is actually quite funny (probably a little unintentional judging by what you've written). I think it could do with some "PUNCH!" and "SMACK!" splash banners (hope that's the right phrase) when Max punches the Martians, like in the Adam West version of Batman.

I've just realised that I watch the video with the sound off. Music's good, sound effects good.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 05:17
Thanks 29, please let me know what you think when you get a chance! I'm working on some new levels and once I finalize everything in the basic engine, it should be smooth sailing. So yeah! Anything you'd like to see different, I'll be happy to take under consideration.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:34:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:34:39