Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [X9] Lost Galaxy:Prologue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 08:49 Edited at: 30th Oct 2013 19:54
cancled can someone lock this thread
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 13:09
This has some interesting potential. That test level however doesn't show me an awful lot except for a mix of scifi media stuck together. If you're still working on the story, the title "Lost Galaxy", without knowing, to me sounds like the player's goal will be to find someone/something that leads them to a lost galaxy or a way to a lost galaxy. I could imagine some interesting avenues to pursue with that storyline.

It seems that you need to refine you're style. Here's some questions I thought of that may help you develop you're game:

-Is it a horror game?
-Is it mainly an action game?
-Is it a hybrid of some sort?
-Are there going to be puzzles? How will they be relevant?
-What is the player's objective? How will the player be told this?
-What is the kind of mood you want to achieve? Tense? Sinister? Oppressive? Adrenaline filled? Race against time?
-Will there be any characters involved?
-What enemies will the player face? How do they fit into the story?

I highly recommend nailing down a decent story and plan to your game. Then begin design on one of the levels. However, keeping on going over it and highly focus on the detail. Remember, the better the detail and design the better the quality of the game.

Hope this helps,
Burger

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 13:28
Quote: "-Is it a horror game?
-Is it mainly an action game?
-Is it a hybrid of some sort?
-Are there going to be puzzles? How will they be relevant?
-What is the player's objective? How will the player be told this?
-What is the kind of mood you want to achieve? Tense? Sinister? Oppressive? Adrenaline filled? Race against time?
-Will there be any characters involved?
-What enemies will the player face? How do they fit into the story?
"

yes it's got a part for horror
oh yeah!! theres action
hyrid sorry i dont really know what that means explain please
yup got that right there will be puzzles
well i dont know what to say about that yet
about a little tense tiny part of sinister
maybe race agains time also please explain the rest like Oppressive,Adrenaline filled
yes maybe
aliens,zombies creatures the will all fit to the story because the part of the galaxy the player will be in is like a place were humans is almost wiped out and creature and such starts taking over also why is almost all the humans almoste wiped out because one of the monsters spread a disease that got most humans to zombies.

thanks for asking
and if you'll like plaease visit my website

cheers,
-Grip Studios-
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 14:28 Edited at: 10th Oct 2013 14:30
I completely agree with Burger.

I know its fun to get into the engine and start placing entities and making a working level to run around in. We have all done it, but, this doesn't constitute a good game.

You must take the time to first, create the basic premise of the game and the general idea of what its about.

Start with the protagonist.
What's his/her back story?
What are they trying to achieve?
Where are they?
Why are they there?

Then move on to other characters involved.
What's their back story?
Why are they there?
What part do they play in the story?
Are they there to help the player or hinder them?

Next would be working out the players journey.
Do you want your game to be a basic run and shoot?
or do you want it to have puzzles and interactivity throughout?
Linear or non linear? Can the player decide which route they take?

Then work on the finer points of the story - the parts that might not be crucial, but, will add immersion for the player.

Try adding some side missions and collectable items. Maybe go back to the days of early Doom and give the player secret passages to discover.

These are obviously some very basic pointers to try to guide you to creating a story.

I am working on my new game Touch of Fear - Extinction. I already have the story in place, but, i am still adding bits to it and thinking of new ways to keep the player interested. I haven't actually fired up FPSC to start level design yet! I have been working on this game for a few months now (admittedly, I am eeking the story out a lot, but, i want to take this new game commercial, so, I am trying to make it the best I can)

If you have a crappy story, gameplay will be crappy, the player won't feel like they are part of the game and will lose interest.

Hope this helps.

Jay.

EDIT - On a side note, if you can learn how to make custom models, textures, scripts, sounds etc, your game will feel a lot more original. Don't just fill a room with generic models from various model packs. Think about your entity placement. Before you place each entity, really think about why you are placing it there! Does it belong there? can the player interact with it? what is the purpose for it being there?

Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 21:45 Edited at: 10th Oct 2013 21:46
oh okay gotcha
@unfamillia
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 11:08 Edited at: 11th Oct 2013 11:08
im working on a story so far so good and i will post when im done
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 08:50
well update #2 coming soon
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 17:44 Edited at: 12th Oct 2013 17:46
Wow, that game is looking really good!
One thing to keep in mind is the lighting.
I'd recommend staying away from the default solid colors and adding those lights to a source.

I like how you used of one of the community Sci-Fi packs. Well done!

[EDIT]: I've also looked at your website, I like it.

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 20:46
@ the nerevar thanks and ill be looking at lighting
geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the game, but the framerate made me cry. From your demo video the framerate looked like it was 15 or less (5 when shooting?). A great game can get ruined by low framerates.

If you have a lower end computer - I developed a full game on a computer with 2 GB of RAM and a 256 MB graphics card, it can be done - try turning off post processing and bloom unless you really need them.

Find

in setup.ini and buildsetup.ini in your FPS Creator folder and change to

If you really need shaders and bloom, then you should do some intensive level optimization (using trigger zones for characters, lower texture quality, etc.)
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 11:12 Edited at: 13th Oct 2013 11:19
@geistchatten don't worry my frame-rate is not that low i record the video via cam-studio recorder i downloaded from the Internet its a desktop recorder.. i can easily increase the frame-rate so that the gameplay looks regular and plus i can play the game at like 50-60 fps when i post an update on this game ill increase the framerate on the video update

Cheers,
-Grip Studios-
geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
@Grip Studios Ah, yes, that completely slipped my mind. Darn those recorders that never get a decent framerate!

For the lighting, try using a lighter shade of the same colors. Sometimes an almost-white light with just a tint of the color will help make things look more natural.

Best of luck with the game!
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 13:22
@geistschatten thanks i will will keep that in mind tho how do i use lighter shades
geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
Right-click any light in your level and the editing menu will come up on the left. At the very bottom you'll see "Light Color", click the drop-down arrow to the right of that and then "Other...". It will give you a bunch of color choices for lighter and darker colors.
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 13:48
OH ok thanks
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 15:49 Edited at: 14th Oct 2013 01:27
Not sure if you have these guides but they are the Official FPSC Community Guides!

These fantastic guides should be standardized, they cover everything you need to know to improve your experience with FPSC.
Covers basic AI and scripting, Optimizing, Creating/Importing custom content, lighting tips, and much much more!

Part 1: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131868&b=21

Part 2: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=180366&b=21

Although, they should be included in the latest patch.
Check your "Docs" Folder in your FPS Creator directory.

Best of luck Grip!

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 16:34
oh thanks it was very helpful
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 13:22
Hey everyone its -Grip- now ive been working on this game for a while now and im still working on it but this game is currently on hold i got my friend testing it out once hes done testing it and maybe do a little edit on it it will then be released but right now im thinking of another game to make im thinking of a world war 2 game i so far i got some good work going on its decent and i might post it in the W.I.P section too. Just know ima try to put a lot of action in it. well thats about it on the update.ill post new screeshots of lost galaxy soon

Cheers,
-Grip Studios-
PhazeShift
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 12:13
Considering the amount of so called "professional" advice you give to other gamers, your games don't look that much better. You do have fresh entities and unique elements, but your ideas and lighting skills lack as well. Example, the trailer for your second Touch of Fear game has very bland lighting, false reflections and unrealistic light decay. The trailers for the first game are boring, poorly scripted (meaning your camera movement was obvious that it is in game) and lacking any real show of skill. Your websites are also in desperate need of redesigning. The page layout is screaming noob, the buttons are overly sized, even for the elderly and the typography is hideous. I looked at your friends work and website and he needs to reevaluate his design as well if he is advertising that he is a graphic designer, etc. Please don't get me started on the horrible video editing and trailer design.....(Are you guys sure you have done this before?) In all fairness, I could have been a bit nicer about my review of your work, but as many here already know, you are a respected member of this community and many people look up to you for support and encouragement. Your posts are usually accompanied by others of the same mindset and they reply with "I totally agree or I would say the same thing." (Baaaaaa- Sheep much?) This does NOT help the guys/gals asking for help! You often give these long winded explanations (Yes, I am aware that I am being verbose, as well.) on what was done wrong, with little to help them. (The things you do tell them can be found in the manual, is rehashed garble from other posts or by getting a YouTube degree.) If you want to be a good leader: Give them an observation, a remedy, a suggestion and finish with a compliment. That way it ends on a good note and they want to carry on with their project. Please, in the future, if you are going to present yourself as a professional, have something worthwhile to show for it...
(By the by: I am a professional digital media designer, animator, videographer and a Professor at an international university, I can be critical, like the above, and be confident that I need not prove myself to an internet audience. If you have any bit of integrity in you, you will read this for what it is, decipher the overall meaning, arrange it in a coherent manner and take away a great lesson from one who genuinely cares for other creatives.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:52:15
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:52:15