Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Admob size issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 11:04
Does anyone know a best policy for admob placement on lower resolution devices?

My app is almost ready to publish, but I recently tried it on a lower resolution device and because the advert has a fixed height of 50pixels it obscures some of the game board.

Right now I can't think of a better solution than checking device height and just disabling adverts on devices that wont work.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The lowest supported Admob banner size by Google is 320x50, and that is the size that AppGameKit uses at all times. If you have an interface that cannot accommodate the 50px height, then the only option would be to do as you mentioned and disable ads if the resolution height is below a certain value. Even if AppGameKit supported Smart Banners, even then the lowest banner height on an Android will be 50 pixels.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 13:48
Just as a matter of note concerning admob sizes.The AppGameKit doc states that it will be 50 pixels high. This is not always the case. The height in pixels of the advert will change depending on the resolution. It would seem that width is the constant, and height adjusted to maintain aspect ratio.

For example, the ad was 100 pixels high on ipad4 / 5.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 00:29
@JohnnyMeek:
My experience is to the contrary. My AdMob banners (both portrait and landscape) on my Android projects are always 320 x 50 regardless of device resolution.

My projects always use the percentage system for defining screen co'ords if this makes any difference.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 08:27
That's weird. I'm also using the percentage system.

My app is in landscape and the ad is centred on the bottom. I don't set any size for the advert at all, but I actually took a screen shot and measured it in photoshop at 100 pixels high.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 12:59 Edited at: 11th Nov 2013 13:05
Here is a screen grab of a project of mine with AdMob ad's, running on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I measured the advert in paint, an it's definitely 320 x 50.

I also have a Galaxy Y (The lowest of the low spec Androids) with a 480 x 320 display; when running the same the advert fills most of the top of the screen, allowing just enough space for the close button. (Would add screen grab of that but my battery is flat, *sigh*)

When I run a project in portrait mode on the Y, the advert fills the whole screen width, again with a height of 50px and I allow for this when designing the UI.

I also at times hide the advert if there is no way of arranging the UI around it (Notably when the On screen keyboard is visible)

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:57:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:57:34