Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Looking to Port Role Playing Game Engine to Work with Dark GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 18:06
I am a developer of a 3D Role Playing Game Engine that handles Data and Scenery. The programming language is Visual Basic.NET (2008, 2010). Original Engine is Truevision3D. Now that TV3D is dead as far as we know. I am looking at other 3D engines. Dark GDK 2.0 is one candidate. I am familiar with Dark Basic and believe there is enough similarity to where porting is not going to be a big task. The other candidate is Irrlicht Lime, but I am having trouble setting objects to use materials, change their color.

The RPG Engine basicly manages Data for Characters, Items, Spells, Classes, Dialogs, and Quests. I am working out ways to where everybody involved can possibly make a portion of money from using it. The RPG Engine will become a DLL, so it will have to registered with me. Someone can build their own custom game with it and sell it. They will need to register the 3D engine to drive the 3D scenery.

I hope the RPG engine can be set up to work with VB.NET, C#, Dark Basic Pro, and other languages. As long as it can be closed compiled for the author to protect his work. I have the Builder / Scenery Editor Functional, it is going through same upgrades to allow different types of 3D characters and monsters to pop up in the game.

The help I would be looking for is assistance porting all the code that interfaced with Truevision.Net to Dark GDK 2.0 I am going to start with the Builder / Scenery Editor. Then do the Client, Game Player program later with deriving code used for the Builder. I know Dark GDK has many great features and add on packs.
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 16:40
I have begun porting over to DarkGDK.NET. Admit I am hitting some snags like the Primitive Triangle Strip / Triangle List problem.

I have looked at other Role Playing Game makers and I am still amazed that they taken on a different approach to what I am doing. No one seems to include any type of Data Base and Data Table editing for games, something I did right from the start. Their software is more geared toward constructing the scenery. Working with the Database is something I feel is an important part of Role Playing Games. You have to define what objects do in a game, the role that computer controlled characters will play, dialog and texts that will pop up during the game, spells, and a quest/task system. I am keeping the same database component as I port the 3D engine from Truevision3D to DarkGDK.NET).

I may be looking for helpers with porting the 3D engine over. I will be posting on here whenever I hit a snag. The bottom line this is going to end up being a very powerful and easy to use RPG maker.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:02:00
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:02:00