I have a couple of days looking for a good audio engine for playing .ogg. Reasons are here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208401&b=22
Here are the results of my search.
2) SFML audio. Maybe best from freeware. Based on OpenAL. http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php
+ Play .ogg, .wav, etc. -- in stream and from memory.
+ In active development, good forum, wiki & examples
+ Very simply to use.
- problems with scope (instead of this DarkGDK has "Sound Manager") -- I can not load sound in first function/subprogram and play it in second.
- I do not know why, but I was able to run only with parameters "sfml-audio.lib sfml-system.lib" for Debug and for Release. You can read my post about this here:
3) Hekkus Sound System. http://www.shlzero.com/wordpress/
This is donateware. I have not been able to find examples of using this engine.
4) Gorilla Audio. Based on OpenAL. https://code.google.com/p/gorilla-audio/
Now only .ogg and .wav, but in active development. Freeware.
5) OpenAL Soft. Based on OpenAL. http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html
+ Freeware (LGPL-licensed)
- few formats, does not support .ogg
- Not simple.
6) Squall Sound System. No site.
Freeware. Quality engine. Play .ogg, .mp3, .wma, .wav, tracker music. But all documentation and comments in source code are only in russian language.
Author -- forum member "maruch" from this forum: http://www.gamedev.ru/code/forum/?id=85608
Other forum members praised this engine, some games was made with it. So if you know russian language, you can download attachment (bin & source code).
7) AeonWaveHD. Based on OpenAL. http://www.adalin.com/index.html?frame2=product_aeonwavefx.html
+ very cheap (< 3 euro) for commercial using
- I could not understand (too little useful information for newbies)
8) irrKlang. Free for non-commercial, 65 euro for commercial using. http://www.ambiera.com/irrklang/index.html
+ Play .ogg, .mp3, .wav, tracker music.
+ Use own pack of drivers
+ many features
+ No problems with scope -- I can load sound in first function/subprogram and play it in second.
- 65 euro for commercial using
9,10) Bass & Fmod. Free for non-commercial, XXX euro for commercial using.
+ all OK