Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Diablo Château

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 16:27 Edited at: 26th Feb 2014 09:04
Diablo Château

Developer: Astech

Storyline: (Work In Progress -- Subject To Change)

With the world on the brink of another great war, you are given a mysterious invitation to attend a ceremonial ball. In the envelope lies a cash advance and a boat ticket. As a rising actor and stage performer, you can't pass up this benefactor so you pack your bags and board the ship. Upon arriving on the ship, the host-party is made revealed to you. You are now an asset to the Nazi party.

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. It was a job you never wanted but fate has brought you to this castle. You're outnumbered by both man and demon; the real question is, who is the man and who is the demon? Traverse the castle and be careful with who you ally yourself. There is a strong darkness brewing inside those stone walls, nothing of which a simple mortal could hope to control.

Screenshots:

Afterword:

This is loosely based on Escape The Bunker: 1945 but it deviates so much, I needed to make a new thread. I'm very early in development but I intend to finally get 1 more release out there before Reloaded. Hopefully I can squeeze this one out-- even if it ends up being a short game.

More screenshots to follow as development comes along!

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 16:43
Woah, this looks amazing!
Good work ASTECH

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Woah, this looks amazing!
Good work ASTECH"

Thanks! I just wrapped up the first version of level 1! It's subject to change but its about the layout I want -- details is what will change if anything.

I also have another screenshot to show. I want some feedback from the community though and don't be afraid to criticize. I'm trying to set a certain tone here and if I'm lacking... I won't know unless I'm told.

Today's Screenshot:

Escape The Bunker: 1945 - A Much Needed Remake
PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 03:02
I really like this screenshot! Looks very good, but in my opinion the center building looks a little too square-ish.

www.pixeleater.me
Register now to become a reasonably intelligent human being!
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 05:22
This looks amazing, the bloom really sets the atmosphere of the game.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I really like this screenshot! Looks very good, but in my opinion the center building looks a little too square-ish."

Yeah. I somewhat agree although I think my primary reason for making it stand out was to in-fact stand out. I don't know if this is good or bad though. I'm mixing architecture together with the idea it was built on to for the spanning years.

Quote: "This looks amazing, the bloom really sets the atmosphere of the game."

I thought so too but I've personally never been a BIG fan of it myself. I always find when trying to use it in indoor scenes... it doesn't really look good with yellow lighting. I guess I will have to have two bloom shaders; one for indoors and one for out.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 04:50
this game looks awesome.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
GLaDOS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 00:02
Impressive!

~GLaDOS
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
New Screenshot:

I realise I should have stated this earlier but this game is about vampires. Yeah-- its not a genre you see coming from FPSC but this is my take on it with a few twists of my own. First off we have nazis and then we have vampires. Who are you and what do you play in this role? You will have to find out as the story writing is in progress and I'm trying to make it deeper than what most would expect.

Also about this screenshot... I feel like something may be missing... I don't know but I can't really figure it out. Comments and criticisms?

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Please forgive me, but I looked at your screenshots and I remeber on my first playthrough of cod 1. It impress me really and your screenshots have a touch of it.

Yeah, nice work

Corno_1

Make this forum to something a little bit better and release more stuff. So we can push the Request/NoobHelp threads aside.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 15:26 Edited at: 8th Nov 2013 15:43
Quote: "Please forgive me, but I looked at your screenshots and I remeber on my first playthrough of cod 1. It impress me really and your screenshots have a touch of it.

Yeah, nice work"

I never played COD1 so I can't say how it stacks up or what level you are referring to. This is WW2 era though so there are bound to be similarities. Thanks for the comments!

Today's Screenshot:

I just wanted to show a little more of the level design. I finally figured out how I'm going to do my level system and it works well. My plan is to build interesting levels and then heighten on the gameplay afterwards.

Kingius Returns
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 00:03
Looks awesome
SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 17:56
This is look brilliant ASTECH. The graphical quality that you've been producing in your games lately has really taken FPSC to another level.

Landman

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looks awesome"

Quote: "This is look brilliant ASTECH. The graphical quality that you've been producing in your games lately has really taken FPSC to another level."

Thanks guys. Right now I pretty much got the feel for the game and design style but I still need to figure out how I'm going to do my levels. According to the several possible story arcs, you either start indoors or out. I'm rather tempted to start the game indoors so I can build more luxurious scenery to start it off.

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 23:07 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2013 23:09
May i suggest something ?

If you don't plan to use shaders, at least take the time to bake the normal and specular maps into the diffuse texture of some objects, like this woodencabinet or the bust from the MP38

I don't know if it's only a matter of personal taste but their textures looks very bland at the moment, like if you just applied a random texture at them.

Excuse my grammar errors, I'm French.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 10:26
If you ask me, the simple textures compliment the extravagant architecture. The two go well together to cement the behemoth palatial chateau mansion theme of the map, and make it clear that the game is taking place in the time period, and not years after. With less contrast in the texture on the wall, the actual shape of the geometry becomes the focus. When so much attention is paid to the geometry, which is not boxy or reminiscent of FPSC in the least, its not a wonder that this game looks so nice. if you must add more crust and grime to the textures (something I notice is more of a mandatory addition than a style choice, especially in non sci-fi games around here) then you should add it tastefully in the corners where the floors meet the walls and maybe something where the walls meet the roof/ceiling. I would suggest not doing this at all, though, as the game looks fantastic as it is.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 14:08 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 14:09
Thanks Bugsy and very well said. I do have to add that these pictures were taken at a high resolution and then scaled down sub-hd. Here you can see the picture in its full size and take note that there is detail in the texture.

As a small update I wanted to let you guys know that I've just about got the story down-pat. I've taken a break to enjoy my PS4 and my gaming addiction that comes along with it. I've bought some new media and I've jotted down almost all of my notes so it won't be to long until you see something new!

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I went crazy and started drawing up a story FPSC just can't handle... at least, not in such a short development period. I've watched too many movies and played too many games that have started to alter my game's vision.

With that being said, I'm going to start shaving it down and doing a redesign. Less is more in FPSC so I'm going to work with what I have.

Diablo Chateau
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 15:35
Quote: "I went crazy and started drawing up a story FPSC just can't handle..."

That trap lurks around every corner

I like your game so far. I do however find that the warm colors and cosy interiors are in stark contrast to the dark storyline...but perhaps that is what you intended

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 21:28 Edited at: 15th Dec 2013 21:29
Quote: "I do however find that the warm colors and cosy interiors are in stark contrast to the dark storyline..."

I thought the same things but I don't want to go extreme with it. The overuse of grunge or too much dinge gets me uninterested quick. I'm still playing with the shader and trying to get a sense of what I want the tone to be.

And just for a side note, the original plot was about vampires but now I'm not so sure its going to be that or if it is indeed more about the castle itself. We will see.

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline

Here is a small update to let you guys know this game isn't dead. This picture is HEAVY W.I.P. I can already point out the barren walls and perhaps too open middle.

This is however a sign of good faith from myself to the forum so take it as it is. The story has so many branching paths that it hard to know which direction to go but I have decided I want a dual system to happen. There will be a mixture of night and day scenes if I can pull it off. The story will explain everything in time and hopefully keep you interested while you go through the game!

Diablo Chateau
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 09:46
This looks absolutely amazing!

(Teabone)
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 15:26
So simple, yet so good-looking. Great job!
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 23:26 Edited at: 15th Jan 2014 23:27
It is me or those windows are in every recent project, did I missed something or what ?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It is me or those windows are in every recent project, did I missed something or what ?"

It's not in my secret project... I'll tell you that.

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, after thinking on this game... I think I'm going to ditch some of the ideas I had for this. In lieu of this however, I do have some even bigger goals.

I want to tell a story and add stealth elements to the game. I had also battled the idea of just throwing the player into the game or starting off the a full-on story. I believe I want to go with a more involved approach- sort of like movies that set the stage low key and slap you in the face towards the middle.

I will require voice work or at least the time to subtitle everything if I want the narrative to be told in text only. Time will tell.

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 07:49 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 11:11

Here is a different design for an early level. I'm not even sure where I want to go with this. I feel like I should take a darker tone but can't decide to go with bloom as well.

HOWEVER

This seems to be a much welcoming scene (even though this is a horror game). I prefer the warm palette instead of the cold. I'm sure this might be a contradiction but I feel as if this individual style is the best match for my design. So forum, do you have any thoughts?

Diablo Chateau
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 13:41
Both scenes look great with the different lighting, however, the bottom scene looks almost dream like. Obviously, the bloom is to blame for that. But, it looks like a softer image. I personally think, the top screen would set the mood better for a horror game.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Great looking room by the way.

Cheers

Jay

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback Unfamillia. What you see above is a level design I was kicking around. You see, I have an optional idea of sending the main character into the story via a luxury ship. I'm not sure I want to do a full fledged ship however.

In better news, I managed to get my hands on some new media so now the game design is going to take off again! I think I've nailed down the style I want to go with and it gives both darkness and bloom. Here is a screenshot showing what may be a close representation of the final game.

The feeling is dead on to how I want it. Sure, it looks A LOT like *cough* Amnesia *cough* but I can have a few liberties here and there with the game being set in the 40's. Any one have any more comments or criticisms before I jump in the rabbit hole again?

Diablo Chateau
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 10:38
I have nothing much to say since it looks pretty decent, but what is that blue on the windows, the sky ?

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! Incredible work!

Quote: "And just for a side note, the original plot was about vampires but now I'm not so sure its going to be that or if it is indeed more about the castle itself. We will see."

I'd like to see the castle itself be the focus. Either way I'm interested in how the story plays out!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 13:13 Edited at: 20th Feb 2014 00:23
Quote: "I have nothing much to say since it looks pretty decent, but what is that blue on the windows, the sky ?"

It's an artistic representation of the night sky. I tried to have it pitch black but it just didn't seem to add anything to the scene and rather take away. I intend to have white for daylight and blue for night-light. There is no sense in trying to be uber-realistic 100%.

Quote: "Wow! Incredible work!
I'd like to see the castle itself be the focus. Either way I'm interested in how the story plays out!"

Thanks! I'm aiming for a mixture of both ideas currently. I still have the story wrote out and waiting to take shape but I want at least somewhat capture the dread Phobia 1.5 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent deliver.

Extra Screenshot for you:

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline

Here is an update. Here is a piece of a level I'm currently working on. I wanted to capture a certain feel and I think I've achieved it with minimal memory usage!

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 08:50
Reminds me of both Clive Barker's Undying and Amnesia The Dark Descent. There's definitely some atmosphere in the screenshots and I'm interested in seeing where this is going.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Reminds me of both Clive Barker's Undying and Amnesia The Dark Descent. There's definitely some atmosphere in the screenshots and I'm interested in seeing where this is going."

Thanks! I never played "Undying" but you are right when you say it is similar. I had to look up screenshots and it seems I hit the nail dead on without even realizing. I appreciate the comments.

UPDATE:

The story is very much in limbo with different branching ideas at this point. I'm not even so sure I want vampires to be the main underlying tone anymore but rather the overall setting. I also have some plot points I'm in need of sorting. I apologize for taking so long to update or post anything worth-while but I think narrative is the biggest part of my game and I cannot rush it nor any other part of this game.

Diablo Chateau

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:13:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:13:35