Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / SCO to start suing customers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 14:55
Apparently in around 90 days, SCO was to start suing users of Linux (the first being 'a large, fairly high-profile company or companies that have been uncooperative in the past').
I bet Billy boy is rubbing his hands with glee...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 15:04
what is sco's problem?

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 15:16
SCO owns Unix, and since Linux is a derivative of unix (from the time unix was open-source), they think Linux is commiting copywrite infringment. Or something like that...
Hmmm... I want to see them sue 60% of the internet. (60% of the webservers out there are running Linux) and I haven't found a university that doesn't have at least a classroom with linux computers in it.

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 15:22
Quote: " what is sco's problem?"

Proberly a combination of greed and stupidity.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 16:43
Either way, its a win-win situation for Microsoft...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 20:47
SCO believe that they have spotted code in the Linux kernel that comes directly from Unix source code. They believe that this code came from IBM, who have a valid license for Unix.

Initially, they are trying to sue IBM for copywrite infringment, but then they started delivering written warnings to big users of Linux, threatening court action, and probably have the big Linux distributers on their radar.

In retaliation, IBM have done nothing except say 'see you in court', and help Novell buy SUSE ... does it sound like they're on the run?

Things that complicate the issue:
BSD Unix - source code is public, could the code have come from there?
SCO themselves had their own linux distro, passing out this code themselves, so technically, the code is now GPL after being released by the 'owner'.
SCO have not shown the source code that is at issue, except some really obscure code that could go either way.

I think that SCO were hoping that IBM would settle. Now that is't going to court (early 2005 I think), they've gone into 'FUD' mode, spreading all the dis-information that they can in the hope that people who use Linux will buy Unix licences from them - the smart ones are waiting for the outcome of the courtcase
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 20:50
I think it'll be in court in 2004 - I'll have to check Computing to make sure.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:09
All the code is is 'V', a small and unimportant piece of memory allocation code. It's an unimportant bit of code that could easily be removed at any time-- Linux is open source-- but SCO dosen't want it removed, they just want to sue.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:44
SCO has no chance of winning, here's what Linus Torvalds has to say about this :-

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1227128,00.asp

On the other hand, SCO (in August 2003) also made further claims that GPL Licence is now invalid (Eh?!? What drugs they on?) ...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/legal/0,39020651,39115793,00.htm
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 09:00
the litigous corporate drug of greed?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:26:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:26:01