Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 16:59
Happy Thanksgiving everyone

I also have a question do people in the UK celebrate thanksgiving?

"Nintendo GameCube is the best"
Current project: Xtreme RC racing
Current progress: 15% done
JD Programming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 17:03 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 17:04
No we don't - But we do celebrate a thing called, "Barn Fire" night, basically lots of fireworks Lol!

Programming is one of the first steps to become an individual...
http://www.jdpgamestudios.co.uk
The Dark Padawan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 17:07
Oh sounds blazingly cool (sorry for my spelling)

"Nintendo GameCube is the best"
Current project: Xtreme RC racing
Current progress: 15% done
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 17:13
We also celebrate a day called 'Stuff your face with junk food day'

Commonly called Christmas Day.

Boo!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 17:21
Yes, Happy Turkey Day everyone

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 17:59
Anyone see South Park last night?
"Gobbles-Timmy!"

Happy T-Day everyone.

(ps that was funny above, asking if the brits celebrate thanksgiving?? LOL )

-RUST-
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 18:13
Er, exactly what IS Thanksgiving?

Been a thoroughbred yorkshire man, I really don't have a clue!!!

Now national conker championships, pork pie eating, liqorice twirling or cow-toppling, now there I'm an expert!!!

~ J ~
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:08
Happy thanksgiving.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:08
Quote: "I also have a question do people in the UK celebrate thanksgiving?"

no its sort of an american holiday lol!

Quote: "No we don't - But we do celebrate a thing called, "Barn Fire" night, basically lots of fireworks Lol!"

Barnfire night? Never heard of that one!

Have heard of bonfire night / guy fawkes though

"Help! My keyboard is stuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk"

Mercenaries in Space demo @ http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:10
Thanks·giv·ing Day (plural Thanks·giv·ing Days) or Thanks·giv·ing noun CALENDAR

1. legal holiday in United States: the fourth Thursday in November, observed as a legal holiday in the United States to commemorate the feast given in thanks for the harvest by the Pilgrim colonists in 1621

2. Canada; legal holiday in Canada: the second Monday in October, observed in Canada as a legal holiday and day of giving thanks for the harvest and other good things received

It's spread across the world quite a bit, but some people don't like the title 'Thanksgiving' so they've changed it to the utterly inane 'Turkey Day' which nobody knows better than to use. Not using 'thanksgiving' is good by me, but 'Turkey Day' is one of the stupiest titles for a holiday I can possibly think of. Especially considering that there are probaly more people who celebrate it as Thanksgiving than actually eat turkey on that day.

I don't have time to celebrate, word count is dropping... must write...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:15 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 19:16
and weren't the colonists people who succeded from the tyranny of the English Monarchy? Then later, they (the brits) tried to come here and mess with us and our tea, and then we had to whip them, and send them packing? I think my history is all messed up but it was something like that.

-RUST-
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:20
Quote: "and weren't the colonists people who succeded from the tyranny of the English Monarchy? Then later, they (the brits) tried to come here and mess with us and our tea, and then we had to whip them, and send them packing? I think my history is all messed up but it was something like that."

And then we won the rugby world cup!!!!!!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
He he I've got that Gobbles video! Probably the best South Park of them all!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:22
LOL great.
::shakes head, "rugby, sheesh"::

-RUST-
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:23 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 19:24
I don't know about "the best one" but it was pretty funny
Gobbles-Timmy!

This new season has been pretty damn funny I must admit. Last weeks bashing of the Mormons was just out right hysterical.

-RUST-
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 19:40
Quote: "Then later, they (the brits) tried to come here and mess with us and our tea, and then we had to whip them, and send them packing? I think my history is all messed up but it was something like that."

What can I say!!!

~ J ~
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 20:42
Quote: "::shakes head, "rugby, sheesh"::"

It's a mans sport! no helmets! (unlike american football)

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 20:57
Ok, jump off the american bashing kick there 89 - you don't want to get me started

-RUST-
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:07
'It's a mans sport! no helmets! (unlike american football)'

Like ballet is a tough martial art because people don't do real sparring ?

A very nice %it, indeed.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:07 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 21:08
Just remeber that unlike 95% of the intenet you americans are outnumbered here

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:11
that's ok - truth is truth and if he or anyone else wants to get started, I won't welcome it, but I will defend my beloved USA

<grabs 2x4 and climbs on top of riding-kind lawn mower>...

lol

-RUST-
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:27
Quote: "and weren't the colonists people who succeded from the tyranny of the English Monarchy? Then later, they (the brits) tried to come here and mess with us and our tea, and then we had to whip them, and send them packing? I think my history is all messed up but it was something like that."

a close one, but it was actually the french who defended america and gave us an arse-whooping. and you lot take the pess out of the french because they didn't help us against sadman, lol .

oh, and i got told by an american friend that thanksgiving was to celebrate the killing of all the indian's who lived in america, lol. is he miss informed or is this true?

Quote: "that's ok - truth is truth and if he or anyone else wants to get started, I won't welcome it, but I will defend my beloved USA"

no-one has actually said anything against 'your' USA? not that i can see, apart from a couple of friendly jokes about the pussies game itself, american football

na, only joking, but if you like george bush, then well i'm afraid i'm going to have to pull out some jokes, some flash movies, and some bad-mouthing, during the course of this thread tony blair is such a bum-monkey

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 21:45
Politics!!

Right, I'll get mi coat...

~ J ~
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:04
'na, only joking, but if you like george bush, then well i'm afraid i'm going to have to pull out some jokes, some flash movies, and some bad-mouthing, during the course of this thread tony blair is such a bum-monkey'

I could say quite the same thing if you didn't like Bush, couldn't I? Why don't we just leave polotics out of this so it dosen't get nasty .

A very nice %it, indeed.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:17
I didn't vote for george bush, and I puke at the politics of republicans.

Well, time to stuff my gut with food - later all

-RUST-
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:22
well, for one anyone who does like george bush is at the end of his propaganda media agents (i obviously wouldn't expect you to understand, as you'll be at the end of all this. i know alot of americans who totally agree with me. your media over there is bollucks to be honest).

erm, for two your strange insult doesn't make sense- "I could say quite the same thing if you didn't like Bush, couldn't I?", erm, huh? lol, do you mean you wish to change this to:

Quote: "' but if you DONT like george bush, then well i'm afraid i'm going to have to pull out some jokes, some flash movies, and some bad-mouthing, during the course of this thread'"

to be honest with you, i don't think his propaganda media guru's actually bothered making any flash movies.

Quote: "Why don't we just leave polotics out of this so it dosen't get nasty "

ok fair enough, iv'e said what i would like to say and won't reply here about politics during the course of this thread.

anyway, targetting closer to the thread, iv;e found out that thanksgiving is when the anglo british-americans met the native-americans (indians), and had a big meal together to announce peace. shortly after that, the anglo-americans stole land off the indians, and then here comes the killing and violence.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:24
according to south park the real american indians were actually Israelis - LOL

-RUST-
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:26 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 22:59

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:26
You're really desperate for a flamewar, aren't you Shock? You know, it dosen't tend to work to say your piece, then say 'Ok, argument ended, no more.' It's a childish way of getting the last word and it dosen't make people too terribly happy with you.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:48
well, it's obviously not me who wants a flame war, i could guess who though

c'mon mouse, you can't say things like
Quote: "You know, it dosen't tend to work to say your piece, then say 'Ok, argument ended, no more.'It's a childish way of getting the last word and it dosen't make people too terribly happy with you."

when you contradict it by doing so yourself?

anyway, i am not calling for a flamewar, thoughout this topic i have been pointing out facts, jokes and my personal opinions, it's upto you if you wish to flame my personal opinions or not, but if you do i think it's fair to say something back, is it not?.

Quote: "It's a childish way of getting the last word and it dosen't make people too terribly happy with you."

i didn't mean to sound childish, i was just trying to end the off-topicness of this thread. if you wish to continue, i would recommend we do so over msn or something, instead of totally spoiling yet another thread.

oh, i would also like to add that i don't care what people think about me on these forums. they're like a fecking soap opera, my life is already too much like a soap to start taking things i read off forums as part of my hobby to heart.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 22:55
Saying that British media is bollocks is ridiculously stereotypical. Maybe the tabloids are pretty extreme but no one reads them for real news anyway. The Times & The Guardian are both very good newspapers that, a side from thier occasional Blair bashing, give a pretty even view.
We don't judge American media on Fox News so don't randomly flamebait on things you obviously have no knowledge of.

...and like that; he's gone...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 23:01 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 23:47
Haven't said anything political here yet

(Apart from the american football comment )

Have fun guys

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 23:30
lol, well i got to add something to chris's post anyway

Quote: "Saying that British media is bollocks is ridiculously stereotypical."

who said that? lol, i didn't see mouse say it, and all i did is say american media is totally bollocks, maybe you read it wrong.

no one could really say that against british media, i mean the beeb is probably the best in the world at delivering fact-only news with mimimum personal-views and no propaganda deals.

Quote: "Haven't sais anything political here yet

(Apart from the american football comment )

Have fun guys
"

lol, this is great fun

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 23:41 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 23:41
Mainly because everyone else has the decency to not rise to your bait and start a flamewar? You may notice I didn't actually respond to the political content of your post, but merely your immature behavior in it.

Yeah, you can 'say something' and 'say something back'. I could walk up to you in the street and call you several names that I'd get in trouble for posting on this forum, and you could repeat the process right back-- maybe it's fair but it sure as hell isn't civilized. Similarly, there are some standards of decency on this forum, and as far as I'm concerned going out of your way to turn a friendly post about a holiday into a flamewar between nations breaks at least a couple of them.

And before you say you're not trying to...

'i obviously wouldn't expect you to understand'

'your media over there is bollucks'

' the anglo-americans stole land off the indians, and then here comes the killing and violence.'

Above statement is true if you strip it of the sardonic attachment on the end. If you were really just 'informing' people, then you wouldn't have added that little bit of support to the america=violence and killing legend, which I already pretty much debunked in a previous post.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 00:09
wtf?

i did really want to leave this to die, i'm still going to try, but i'm not having you reading in between my lines for no purpose but to flame me, me as a person.

i'm going to ignore everything of that (well i read it, but i'm leaving you be), apart from the part i find very offensive and sick. i think you've got something wrong with you man, if not and your just mighty pessed then i would like to clear this up:

Quote: "' the anglo-americans stole land off the indians, and then here comes the killing and violence.'

Above statement is true if you strip it of the sardonic attachment on the end. If you were really just 'informing' people, then you wouldn't have added that little bit of support to the america=violence and killing legend, which I already pretty much debunked in a previous post.
"

i am not supporting an "america = violence" legend, and i have not suggested this in ANY post, ever, i wouldnt of thought. i didn't even turn this thread into " a flamewar between nations ", if you'd like to notice my original topic said i hated one man, with the name of george bush. everything else is in YOUR head, i'm not anti-american at all, although however i am strictly anti-"george bush". i have many american friends, both in vitrual life and real life, i have a very close relationship with some of my friends. you are a very sick person to start saying stuff like that about me, i'm not purposely entering a flame here, but i am VERY offended at what you are implying.

- the actual reason i said "the anglo-americans stole land off the indians, and then here comes the killing and violence." in this context was to re-frame what i said in my first post- "told by an american friend that thanksgiving was to celebrate the killing of all the indian's who lived in america". this was never out of badness, and is very related to my first post. i was righting a wrong.

i'd like to again add, that yes the flaming from this topic probably wouldn't of existed if my first post didn't exist, but it certainly wasn't me who started it, i'm not posting quotes (you can read it yourself), but i said something bad against George Bush, and then YOU flamed ME for expressing an opinion. Please don't try and turn all this around on me, after it was mainly you who started it. I do believe it "takes two to tango", and if i just simply ignored your initial flame, then it would of turned allright. but i will not have you flame me, i won't have anyone flaming me. if you flame anyone, you should expect them to turn around and argue.

anyway, i can;t be bothered with people like you, you have officially wasted over an hour of my time.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 00:12
Alright, draw the line right here.

-----------------------

Let's not start a political thread on a "Happy thanksgiving" post.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 01:40
So, how was everyone's thanksgiving dinner?
Mine was great!! My wife and I hosted for first time this year and all is going swimmingly - LOL

-RUST-
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 02:02
Quote: "My wife and I hosted for first time this year and all is going swimmingly "

Congratulations Rust on the hosting.... <- should be egg-nog but the forums don't have a graphic for that!!

~ J ~
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 02:10
Kinda feel sleepy. (Too much turkey.)

So far though, today has been pretty good.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 03:24
'should be egg-nog'

Just had far too much of it . Turkeys were small, but 't'was made up for by mashed potatos, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and small onions in white sauce... very good altogether.

Now I'm stuffed

A very nice %it, indeed.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 04:02
I figured something like this would happen.

In ant case I don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day, I celebrate the lesser known Native American holiday, Thanks-for-Nothing Day.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:23:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:23:06