Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I installed Dark GDK, but how do you start it up?

Author
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 19:57 Edited at: 11th Nov 2013 20:32
I installed Dark GDK, but how do you start it up? I can't find the icon to start the compiler and the editor.

Is it supposed to work with the old 'Dark Basic' program?... the original Dark Basic?

How old is 'Dark GDK'? and what is the advantage of using it? Arn't it's commands already available in DB-pro? So who would want to use it anyway?

I tried for hours to use Dark GDK with microsoft visual 2008, but couldn't configure it correctly. So finally I gave up.

But, my main question is, how to start the Dark-GDK editor, where is the icon to double-click with the mouse to start it up?

Man is a figment of God's imagination.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 21:08
Dark GDK is a C++ static library. You use a C++ IDE such as, Visual C++ 2008 Edition. Basically, it provides the DarkBasic Professional functions to the C++ programming language. Benefits are, beside the DBP functions, you have access to the low level DBP functions not available on DBP. You can mix DirectX and the windows API functions right in with your code, giving you much more control over your application. Fire up Visual C++ 2008 and open a new project, if Dark GDK is installed correctly you should have Dark GDK wizards set up.
Mark Garrett
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 23:35 Edited at: 11th Nov 2013 23:42
Now that I know it's just a 'static library', that clears away a lot of confusion.

I have tried over and over to set up Dark GDK with visual c++2008 without success. I have searched different posts telling how to do it and have even gone to You-tube to find out how. I have tried all those ways and still the wizard does not appear in the 'new projects' dialogue window of visual c++8

Is there any concise way of setting it up with my Visual c++ edition? Someone who has done it successfully and has explained it in a way that I can understand?.

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 23:46
I used the instructions on this page. I have installed successfully on Windows XP and Windows 7.
Mark Garrett
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 23:50 Edited at: 12th Nov 2013 05:57
Hey, I'm back. I found out what I did wrong and it is so-o o o oo
simple.

I installed visual basic express 2008 by mistake.

Were supposed to install visual c++ express 2008!

It was very deceptive and confusing. But I googled it and found the download link from microsoft.

Just google Visual C++ express and you can find the download link. It is here....

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://go.microsoft.com/%3Flinkid%3D7729279&sa=U&ei=MaOBUo2xHtKuyAHYu4FQ&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGfTv2UMlEycw63SFTVwX36wN9F8g

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:33:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:33:01