Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Working in Windows. How to create Mac Version?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 22:41 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2014 20:08
I wrote my game in AppGameKit basic tier, on my windows PC.
how do I go about creating a version for the mac?
I don't need to submit it to the I-store or anything,
just let mac users play it.

(quietly tacks on file)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 20:17 Edited at: 20th Dec 2013 20:19
Hi IBOL

I haven't actually done it (at least, not for a long time) but there should be a mac interpreter. So you would go through all of the steps, referencing the bytecode file and including your media. Once you build, you should be able to search in something like <your project destination>/build/products/<debug or release>/<your app>. There you should find a .app and that you should be able to just run. I haven't however tried running it on another mac (mainly because I don't have another one) but in theory, as it's all packaged into the .app, it should run.

Let me know how you go.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 17:53
IBOL, first you need a Mac of some sort.

But creating something that you can distribute to Mac users without going through Apple and iTunes is probably not really doable. Macs are pretty tied down and I don't think you can install something that isn't properly signed.

And in order to sign something, you need to sign up for the Apple Mac Developer's License ($99/year).

I haven't looked into it (I just got back from being away yesterday), but I don't think there is a mode in Xcode that lets you package a Mac app and distribute it without going through Apple.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 07:46 Edited at: 12th Jan 2014 20:58
Quote: "I haven\'t looked into it (I just got back from being away yesterday), but I don\'t think there is a mode in Xcode that lets you package a Mac app and distribute it without going through Apple."

OMG, just lost some of what little respect I have for mac.
I was looking forward to it, but wow, to not have that kind of freedom...that\'s terrible...

(I got a mac mini anyway... possibly the most money I have EVER spent on myself. EVER.)

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 15:14
It is how Apple set it up.

They might say it is to protect the integrity of the Macs and iOS devices.

Others might say it is to protect their market.

It is one of the things that kept me away from the Apple world until I started working with AGK.

I like all the hardware and software flexibility that you get with Windows and Linux.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 08:13
Let's give it a little try anyway.

Can either of you run the attached app on your mac?

I don't have any licences with Apple and hence no code signing certificate so let me know if you get a (non AppGameKit related) error.

P.S If you're curious as to what the app does, enter a number in the small box and a bunch of letters (that you may need unjumbling) in the big box. I haven't done much input error checking so you could probably break it quite easily.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 16:10
My Mac would not let me open it.
Quote: ""Unjumbler.app" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 16:12 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2014 16:12
Runs fine Hodgey. OS X 10.8.5 I have "gatekeeper" turned off tho.

AL: What you are saying isn't quite true. While you should sign your apps through xCode (for which you must be a registered developer), you do not *have* to. It is perfectly doable to run non-signed apps.

Additionally, Mac apps have nothing necessarily to do with iTunes. If you want to sell via the Mac App Store, there are additional requirements, but a basic signing is easy.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 17:00
True, Mac apps go through the Mac App Store (my mistake). But you still need to be a registered developer, as you mentioned, and that is the thing that tends to hold people back (the cost of it).

I did not know about gatekeeper. But I suspect many people don't either. I tend to try to leave my development and test machines in the 'vanilla' configuration that I expect my potential customers to have.

However, if you can instruct people you want to run your app on how to turn gatekeeper off, then you can distribute it to them.

But, IBOL, you still do need a Mac.

Hodgey, how did you create the .app file with Xcode without the provisioning certs and such? I'd like to be able to do that "just because I can".

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:42
Quote: "Runs fine Hodgey. OS X 10.8.5 I have "gatekeeper" turned off tho."

Good to hear! I was going to say, I would have been surprised if everything had to go through the Apple Store.

I'm using 10.9.1 and in the Privacy and Security settings, there are 3 options. You allow apps:
1. only from mac store
2. only from mac store and/or identified developers (my current setting)
3. anywhere

Quote: "Hodgey, how did you create the .app file with Xcode without the provisioning certs and such? I'd like to be able to do that "just because I can"."

A .app is built as soon as you build and run your project..even the default HelloWorld. Similar to windows. If you have built it, there's an exe somewhere and it should be located in the path I described above.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:50
I see now and remember (just followed the 'Build' directory down for my Mac WIP).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:56
Yep, piece of cake.

I believe IBOL has a mac as well so all you need to do is set up an interpreter, link up the bytecode and media and make sure your users have their gateway setup to run your app.

However, I'll point out that iOS is locked up. You'll have to go through Apple if you'd like to see your app run on an iOS device.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 21:21
yeah, hey guys,
with my new gamedev budget, I got myself a mac mini on new years eve. have turned it on exactly once.

thanks for letting me know about the "gateway" thing.

it's on the to-do list, but I just don't know when anything is ever going to get done around here...

I've had ~6 hours today and done NOTHING productive. I kicked @SS yesterday, but still...

anyway, thanks, it sounds do-able!

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 07:29
ok,
i read the directions here : http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/51_mac.htm
and got Approaching Infinity mostly working, not using the Xcode method,
just the easy method

unfortunately. very many of my sprites show up plain black. the UI and popup messages are all there, but the spaceships and planets don't show up.

is there a depth sorting issue?
the sprites that don;t work are generally depth >100,
while the ones that do are <100

hmmm...

thoughts?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 21:53
One of the things you need to be careful of is case sensitivity.

Macs run on a *nix based operating system and case in file/path names matter.

So, if the file is named 'mydot.png' and you try to load it using 'MyDot.png', it won't be found.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 21:46
Thanks ancient lady,

I did not know that.

And that is a huge pain!

I have hundreds of images (and other file types too!)...I guess I will just make them all lower case, and be sure to load as lower($)

The other problem I am having (which we are discussing on a different thread) is getting agk108.21 to interface with xcode5.1.1
(it throws about 20 errors, just using the files provided from tgc)

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 02:03
I haven't tried 108.21 yet.

TGC recently put out 108.23 to fix issues with FaceBook and other updates.

I expect to try this eventually.

I used to be able to build my WIP. But now it fails with Xcode 5.1.1.

I currently get 6 linker errors.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 07:30 Edited at: 29th Jul 2014 23:04
last time I upgraded my AppGameKit, I was screwed for 3 months and it introduced the windows 8 crash to my system.

You really think I'm going to 'upgrade' while I'm in the current beta phase? No way!

OK, so I have posted screenshots of the errors in the other thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211629&b=45&p=0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:51:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:51:46