Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Ragdoll physics and limbs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 00:36 Edited at: 15th Dec 2013 18:22
In order to have ragdoll physics is it necessary to create and object made of limbs? I provide and example of a wobbly snow man WASD commands courtesy of LBFN:

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 18:58 Edited at: 16th Dec 2013 19:00
You can manipulate a mesh in a very basic way with the vertexdata commands (listed under Basic 3D Commands in the help menu.)

I can post a simple example if you'd like, although I'm not talented enough to do ragdoll physics using this method.

D.D.
captain caveman
Years of Service
User Offline
it would be interesting to see an example Derek
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 20:57
I consider ragdoll physics an advanced subject. I have Dark Physics, but don't know of anyone getting ragdoll physics to actually work with it (not much else either, for that matter). I don't have Dark Dynamics, but you might want to look at that. Matty H posted a working ragdoll example here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=197129&b=30

I think that if you are looking to manipulate vertices to achieve a ragdoll effect, you will soon realize it is an overwhelming task.

Look on the Dark Physics & AI board for Dark Dynamics.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 01:04 Edited at: 18th Dec 2013 01:07
Here is a very basic vertexdata example:

I concur with LBFN - it would (literally) take a genius to come up with a ragdoll system based on raw vertex manipulation.

Once you learn to do animation in an outside app like Blender, Maya, Anim8tor, etc., you could probably just pre-program several ragdoll-type movements for your model.

Personally, I think most ragdoll action looks fake anyway.
When people are tumbling, dying etc, they tend to do more muscular flailing, kicking, etc... ragdoll looks like - well, a rag doll. (The latest games may be better, but I don't keep up.)

Ragdoll even looks dumb in (arguably) good games like Skyrim!

D.D.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:35:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:35:34