Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Advanced DarkBASIC Pro programming techniques (math / logic)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 06:12
This is a long post.. For those of you who not wish to read the whole thing, I am mainly looking for a more advanced book that will train me to use dark basic better. I have the reasons why below.

I have nearly completed finishing up on the beginner's dark basic book. Needless to say, I've found most of the information more of a groundwork for the more advanced techniques that this book does not cover.

I'd like to display my concern for learning logic and math regarding game programming. There are a few things that I'd like to learn, and I do not know where to find this information. If it were in hands with dark basic, it would be more useful to me.

#1: The math we use the most with dark basic.
A book that is all about the math that people use with game programming, primarily, dark basic. Instead of having to figure out these wonderful formulas on my own, I'd rather learn about these popular formulas from reading a book! Not only learning these formulas would be helpful, but also learning why and how they work would insure that I would be able to use them properly.

#2: Advanced Looping Techniques
A book that discusses the loops (or game engines) in a more deep of detail, although the book I'm reading displays the basic parts of looping. Looping can be done in so many ways, and nested in so many different ways, I know that there are many techniques to looping more efficiently, and that is what I wish to learn. I'd rather read about it then have to learn this on my own, as some of you painstakenly have.

There are more topics I'd like to bring out here, but the first two I have mentioned are very important to me at this time.

The beginner's book only shows you the commands, it does not show you the tricks.

If anyone here would like to share with everyone else in this community books, ebooks, or websites they have found to be very useful in teaching advanced dbpro techniques please post it here.

Thanks!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 11:49
While there are no specific DB books for what you want, there are many for math related things. Best thing to do is think of what you want to accomplish, then think about how it could be done. You also have these forums to help you. If you want to learn more advanced loop techniques, look up recursion for a starter. I bought a book called "physics for game developers". It won't mention DB in anyway, but discusses various math and physics equations and how they are used in games. In a lot of cases, you end up developing your own algorhythms to solve problems.
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 20:31
May I suggest doing little test programs and seeing how some of these things work yourself? You will be amazed how much you will learn from some hands on, as it lets you ask intelligent questions.

Also helping on this this book project will give you understanding, fine tune your skills, and help others in the process.

Request link:
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=18038&b=9

Web Link:
http://darkrealms.dbpcommunity.com/
leopatro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 23:34
Thanks guys for this post and replies!
I am having exactly the same problem about game logic and mathematics formula, and how to use them in a code and what they do etc.
do you know where I can find something about the use of mathematics formulas?
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 04:58
Maybe this physics for game developers book would be good. What programming language was this book using for examples?

repeat arkBASICPro = LearnStatus() :until DarkBASICPro = FullyUnderStood
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 05:39
It used C++, but math equations look the same in any language.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:36:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:36:18