Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / First track cut to dub ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 16:00
Got my first dub cut done. Sa'll good. Sounded phat, and it's off to the vinyl press next for a couple of hundred promos for an EP. Liking where this is going!

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 16:21
Niiiiice.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 17:36
Where the hell is all the money coming for a 500 or so vinyl run off?

* secretly jealous *

Can I ask you a Question?
What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 20:09
Not from my wallet! I didn't pay for the dub either. A5 Recordings. They can be found at [href]www.q-base.co.uk[/href].

My money is being saved hard for some Genelic 1029As, which are powered monitors, and are basically a key step in me making a professional sound. £500 though. But it's not really my money though is it ... *wink wink* ... it's called a student loan and a Lloyds TSB overdraft.

I'll have to skimp on a lot of alcohol though. But I just quit smoking, so that's £20 a week saved.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 20:45
Congrats Fallout. Good to hear all the good news.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 22:12
cool... did you use any samples? If so, did you need to clear em, or did the label clear em for you? Come to think of it, were the label even bothered about the samples?

What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 23:53
Yes, nope, oi oi and up and down, left and right, and then there was 12.

In short, most of the samples are generate by me. Then some are from royalty free sources, then some are from non-royalty free sources. I challenge thee to find the ones that are naughty. If ye take up said challenge, ye will surely fail, and hence, nobody gives a crapay!

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 14:13
I think the best sample I ever stuck in a tune was from "I'm gonna get you sucka". I didn't think many people'd find that one.

What is it?
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 03:02 Edited at: 1st Dec 2003 03:03
Yeah, there's blantent ripping of noticable stuff, and then there's non-blantent ripping of minor stuff. Sometimes I'll hear a certain sound effect in a film and pinch it - just saves me trying to record it or generate it myself. Nobody is any the wiser, cos it isn't something prominent - normally just the odd explosion, or crack, or electrical noise. Thieving vocals/speech is dodgy ground though, so best to steer clear (for release tunes anyways ).

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 14:10
Quote: "My money is being saved hard for some Genelic 1029As, which are powered monitors, and are basically a key step in me making a professional sound."

Wait... did you just say monitors help you make sound? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something vital here.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 14:34
Yep, monitors. Short for monitor loudspeakers.
Used either in the control room of a music studio to "monitor" the recordings or mix, or on stage (to provide a separate mix for each musician).

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 17:19
Yep, that's it. Basically, even your highest quality hifi seperate speakers have troughs and peaks in their frequency response. Sometimes they're engineered this way to disguise shortfalls in construction, or to make them sound louder, and sometimes its just cheaper components.

Monitors are smooth and clear. A decent set of powered monitors have a different amplifier built into the speaker for EACH component. So if your monitors are made of a tweater and mid/woofer, then each has its own amplifier. The amplifier is engineered as a perfect balance for its relative component, and the component is engineered to precisely reproduce a certain range of frequencies. All components complement each other.

To cut a long story short, frequency response on your average speakers is a bit up and down, with cheaper speakers having clear pockets and peaks for different speakers. Cheaper monitors have similar problems, but a decent set produces all frequencies evenly across its spectrum. As a musician, if you want to move to that next level in production, making the track sound just right across the frequency spectrum, monitors are the way to go.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 17:36
Nice one Fallout!
Thanks for the extra info on monitors - I always wondered why studios had these little monitors instead of big chunky sub-woofers. I'll bet they take their newly burned CDR's and try them out on their own Hi-Fi's and car stereos though .

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:34:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:34:41