Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Level Making Software for DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows any kind of good level making software that will work on dark basic pro and can make BSP's (I think that's what it's called). Also, please make sure it is compatible with 3ds max models. Thank you.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 12:24
Blender 2.49 can save to .map and you could use then Quark, Hammer and so many others to make the final BSP. This models are not compatible with 3ds Max unless you use any lost plug-in out there. In Dbpro we have good collision as Sparky's, so we dont need BSP any longer, as people use this method just for the smooth collision.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Help Me Please168
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks chafari, is it okay if I can use 3ds max and just use a converter to turn it into a .map? Also, would I need to convert my models into whatever works in Hammer? Lastly if I used sparky (is that a DLL?) do I just have to make my level in 3ds max and use it for collision and stuff?
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 22:06
We can export from 3DMax to .x with some free plug-in and we can use Sparkys collision that is free also. The Dll comes with some useful examples, we just have to load our object and walk inside like in a Half life or Quake game.If you don't find it here in the forum, just let me know...I've got it here somewhere.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2014 15:55 Edited at: 6th Jan 2014 16:13
A level, landform or any other object can be created in almost any 3D editor, depending on your need for complexity. It all boils down to meshes when you think about it. You could even design levels with native DBP commands if inspired to do so.

Looks like Chafari posted Sparky's Collision here:
Sparky's collision DLL - Where?

I've attached the 3DS to .X converter I've been using.
Just put your .3DS models in the same folder as the converter and run it.
(Make sure your models are first UV mapped in your modeling program if necessary.)

D.D.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Help Me Please168
Years of Service
User Offline
Okie dokie thanks guys for the help I will try them when I am able to.
Help Me Please168
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guess, can sparky collision use any trigger type collisions or is there any plugin for that to be able to make the levels or would I need a level editor (like hammer). For example, if I wanted to make them to open doors to go to different areas in the same level (like how super mario 3d world does it) or like if I wanted them to have a trigger to swing on a vine once they hit it?

Also, is there any plugin to allow DBPro to read .map files?

(I am sorry if these are dumb questions)
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 15:15
You can make your level in any 3D program, or even with Dbpro, and you need to program the trigger to open doors, unless you make an animation of all doors of your level, and you make a function where you play animation and the level will open all doors of the level when you hit the trigger. Of course, that is not nice, to open all doors at once, but you only will see your closest door if you play in first person. I prefer to add different doors of the level as different limbs, and open separately every one with a trigger.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Help Me Please168
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay and I was thinking of just making my own level editor and so I was wondering if I can use DBPro to make it (or what language can I use). Thank you guys for the support.

P.S

What does a .dbo file do (is it good for making levels and can read any code for your objects (position of object) and triggers ex. Trigger that makes DBPro know that you are in water so it does a swimming animation for your character or like when you reach a specific place in the game, a sound plays))
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 20:13
You could make a level editor using only Dbpro. Dbo format ist the Dbpro oblect...we can load several format and save as dbo to gain speed loading. For triger, we can make differents zone, like in a pool,the water should be anothrt object without collision.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:30:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:30:47